The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Anyway, Lords of the Fallen is, basically, Baby's First Dark Souls. Boy does it look purty though.

One for the Steam Christmas sale.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
I'm enjoying Dragon Age Origins so much at the moment...I will write more about it once I finish it for the first time.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
DA Origins is a great game.

Just finished Portal 2. Really good game, fun, a tad repetitive. Ending was not in keeping with game unfortunately. Don't know why the designers felt the need to end things with an action sequence.

I wonder when Valve will announce a new game? Half Life III has been joked about for a decade but do they even need/want to make it?
It doesn't seem like Half Life 3 will even be made any time soon, let alone at all. But a Team Fortress 3 release date is in the works.

I took a chance on Lords of the Fallen owing to a big Paypal balance (coffee tables make money, who knew?) and am enjoying it so far. If you played your Dark Souls games with tank characters LOTF is a home away from home. Everything has a weight to it, even some of the early game weapons are monstrous in size. It even fat rolls.

Having said that, my best experiences in the Souls games came with lightly armoured nimble rogues and, while that class exists in LOTF, there isn't the same incisive cut-parry-thrust-roll to your move set. LOTF Tank = Good, LOTF Rogue = Tank with less armour and a dagger.

It runs pretty well on my rig and I'm damn glad I don't have an Xbone - Check the second half of the video I posted earlier for the stark differences between the PC and console releases - but it seems a bit of a resource hog. Gameplay uses 6GB+ of RAM and all my card's 3GB VRAM and that's with Nvidia's new Turbulence effect turned off. The game lags a bit with it on and I don't notice any difference to the graphics.

Maybe Nvidia Turbulence is used here? Yep, I'm not above that.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Having said that, my best experiences in the Souls games came with lightly armoured nimble rogues
Best experiences as in fun or success? I still haven't finished DK. Tried a mage which seemed like cheating a bit and a fireball guy which seemed harder especially because I hated the fireball due to the delay and/or aim maybe. (I forget the precise problem I had with it.) Is there a better or more fun class than others or are they all going to be hard.

While I liked Dark Souls a lot, and I think I played a decent amount of it, the main problem I had with the game was being sent back a distance that you had to navigate again to fight a boss you lost to, Being that the bosses are difficult, to say the least, this reset became truly annoying.

Valkyria Chronicles is getting a PC release, finally. It's one of my favourite PS3 (formerly) exclusives and should be an instabuy for anyone who likes turn-based stuff like XCOM or HOMM.

Of course, it's a Japanese port so they might well muck it up al la FFXIII, Dark Souls, Deadly Premonition etc.

One of the best looking games of last gen, I think...

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Valkyria Chronicles is getting a PC release, finally. It's one of my favourite PS3 (formerly) exclusives and should be an instabuy for anyone who likes turn-based stuff like XCOM or HOMM.
Read about this and always wanted to play it. Hope the requirements aren't very steep.

Both. It's probably because my default RPG character tends to be a nimble swashbuckling rogue.
Do you think dodging is better than shielding/tanking? And which is more difficult?

I think dodging is more difficult in DS2 because they changed the invulnerability window you get while rolling. That's my excuse for not finishing the game anyway.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I think dodging is more difficult in DS2 because they changed the invulnerability window you get while rolling. That's my excuse for not finishing the game anyway.
So, if I remember correctly, rolling in DS is like The Witcher 2? Is it a big cheese or do you have to master the timing correctly? And I have to laugh at the DS2 remark. Were you having trouble with a boss/es or did it enemies just become too difficult?

I just got a bit tired of it - I've put 60+ hours in and built a couple of characters up well but Divinity OS came out and dragged me away. I'll come back, probably once the DLC gets well reduced, and give it another crack because I think it's a great game, just not quite as good as DS1 or Demons Souls.

You've got a certain amount of invulnerability rolling in the Souls games but you can't just spam it and have to time things properly. I think DS2 removed a few frames from your protection so the timing needed to be even more exact.

Lords of the Fallen has the same mechanic but it's much more forgiving - As soon as you begin the roll animation you're invulnerable until it's finished.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I think I'm going to try a knight tank for DS. I read the extra protection allows you more time to study an enemies tactics, especially bosses. Dissuade me if you think that's a bad approach.

there's a frog in my snake oil

Had some fun with this homebrew minigame in GarrysMod. FPS meets detective collaboration, as you try and find the traitor(s) in your terrorist crew. There are guns aplenty, but you can't shoot until you're sure, which makes for lots of nervy moments (and it doesn't help that you have to aim at someone to see their name ). Actually not a bad voice chat crowd on the server's I used, as it's part of the game to sound people out (and explain yourself if you shot someone ) - possibly the admins kick the motormouths.

The big maps aren't ideal, due to the snipey-ness, (although the one where you're mouse-sized in a giant bedroom was fun), but actually found myself liking the more COD-esque close-quarter maps for some reason, especially as there are role-specific devices which give them variety - like traitors being able to open the exterior doors on the airbus map for example

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Anyone play MIND: Path to Thalamus?

I think I'm going to try a knight tank for DS. I read the extra protection allows you more time to study an enemies tactics, especially bosses. Dissuade me if you think that's a bad approach.
Ask Sedai - He's the Souls expert around here. I'm just a filthy casual.

Mind Colon, Path To Thalamus is awful. It's Dear Esther by Dali with utterly abstract puzzles. *

* I don't like puzzle games as a rule so your mileage my vary.