Halloween Horror Challenge

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Every time someone is raped, tortured and/or eviscerated, she reminds me that I really know how to pick 'em.

Joy Ride.

Fun little thrill ride. Still with a few stupid things here and there, but overall it was a lot of fun and generally I enjoyed it. I mean, it didn't feel like it did anything it wasn't aiming for anyways. It did exactly what it should do and that's something it gets a bit of credit for from me.

Btw, I don't see this as a horror, but many has voted it so, and so will I.

Movies: 11

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (Danny Steinmann, 1985)
+
Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI (Tom McLoughlin, 1986)
+
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (Rob Heddon, 1989)
These films in the middle section of the series all seem, after the first 10 minutes or so, like they're going to be really dull although each one does have a "big" wrap-up. New Beginning is the dullest I've seen, and Jason Lives seems to be following in its footsteps when halfway through Jason becomes more active and the thrills occur more often and get more visceral. Part VIII has Kane Hodder in his second time as Jason, and he brings a physicality to the role which is mostly-lacking in the earlier entries.

The Funhouse (Tobe Hooper, 1981)
Could have been scarier but it does deliver the goods up to a certain point. The beginning and ending seem better than the drawn-out middle, but the setting is worth sticking with it.

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (Rachel Talaly, 1991)
Freddy is strictly a game-show host here, at least until his daughter decides she wants to follow in his use of exotic gauntlets. Watchable for fans but not much better than that.

Nine Miles Down (Anthony Waller, 2009)
Allegorical (or is it?) tale of an investigator coming to a desert research post to learn what happened to the scientists there. The only person he finds is an attractive woman who may not be what she seems. Full of weird imagery and talk of second chances, but also a feeing of "been there - done that" hanging over the whole thing.

81 Movies
86 Points

BEHIND THE MASK: THE RISE OF LESLIE VERNON
(2006)

We run the gauntlet of slasher film tropes while following a documentary crew covering the newest psychotic murderer planning his reign of terror over the sleepy town of Glen Echo. There is some enjoyment to be had for those interested in slasher films.
Robert Englund makes a cameo as a Donald Pleasance / Dr. Sam Loomis-esque character

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER (1997)

Nobody's going to mistake this for a horror classic, probably. but i enjoyed it some, actually. It's got Veronica Vaughn that one-piece-of-aaacccee from Billy Madison, Leonard from The Big Bang Theory.
along with the stars, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Ryan Phillippe, & Freddie Prinze Jr.
Killer is a creepy fisherman with a hook

THEATER OF BLOOD (1973)

Horror icon Vincent Price takes poetic vengeance on the critics who deny due recognition to his Shakespearean actor character, Edward Lionheart. Vincent manages to simultaneously portray both the folly and bravery of performance, along with a charming evil-streak. Do i dare give Vincent Price a negative review? nay, brilliant premise !

Movies: 12

BEHIND THE MASK: THE RISE OF LESLIE VERNON
(2006)

We run the gauntlet of slasher film tropes while following a documentary crew covering the newest psychotic murderer planning his reign of terror over the sleepy town of Glen Echo. There is some enjoyment to be had for those interested in slasher films.
Robert Englund makes a cameo as a Donald Pleasance / Dr. Sam Loomis-esque character
It's been years since I watched it, but I enjoyed Behind the Mask. I thought it very cleverly poked fun at all the slasher tropes and clichés while also being a loving homage to the sub-genre.

I love the way you incorporate the movie posters and ratings in your images, Nostromo. You should be in charge of the graphics for some of the countdowns in the future. You definitely have a talent for it.

It's a shame I can only + rep you once for Theatre of Blood, nostromo. That was on my 70's list. It's so wonderfully executed and completely off the wall, la-la, batty. Great stuff.

I'm not so sure I would go so far as to call IKWYDLS a classic of the genre, but it's very good. I think it gets a lot of stick because of the sequels and the cast and, of course, the far superior Scream.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Wither It's sort of a new take on the zombie genre as the zombie originates from a witch-like creature. That's the extent of anything new because other than that it's the same ol' teenagers in a cabin dying and becoming the bad thing. It's fairly gory and violent. The actings not too cheesy for a horror movie and it's a fairly fun watch. Nothing special though.

The Cave Pretty much a Descent rip off and I think it was even released around the same time. I thought it might go in a more religious themed way, but it's just another creature feature bad science fiction type movie. The ending is especially cliché leading the way for a sequel that would be a very bad idea. Just watch The Descent again and leave this alone. Unless your a big fan of Lena Headey or Daniel Dae Kim.

Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed Not quite as good as the first, but it keeps the same tone and sexual analogies. I really like the Ghost character.

Movies 24 Points 31

I got a BIG selection to write tomorrow that i've seen recently be prepare

Ginger Snaps

Since others had commented on it, I decided to check it out and liked it quite a bit. B+

Movies-8
Points-9

A system of cells interlinked
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (Hooper, 1986)

Terrible. Turned it off before it was over.

May (McKee, 2002)

I liked this one! Angela Bettis knocks it out of the park in her role as May, a misunderstood veterinary assistant. She reminded me of Travis Bickle in some ways, but don't expect a film on that level. Still, definitely worth a watch! Macabre stuff.

Return to House on Haunted Hill (Victor Garcia, 2007)
While a straight-to-video-sequel to a weak remake will have lesser expectations, this wasn't all that bad, but certainly no reason to seek it out. Plenty of gore and T&A.

The Fog (John Carpenter, 1980)
- Carpenter uses his widescreen expertise to gleefully heighten the suspense, but the story and script are especially silly and obvious. Still, it's probably as good as it could be.

Lake Placid (Steve Miner, 1999)
Talk about silly and obvious! However this one is played mostly for laughs, which it surprisingly delivered. There are even some thrills when the giant crocodile appears.

Night of Dark Shadows (Dan Curtis, 1971)
- Dan Curtis' second movie based on his cult soap opera goes in several new directions, but unless you're a fan, and probably not even then, you won't most likely care. Extremely-slow and flaky at times.

The Uninvited (Lewis Allen, 1945)
This is the real deal - a legit ghost story in an old dark house. Suspense and scares in equal measure, this is especially strong for the '40s.

The Innocents (Jack Clayton, 1961)
This is one of my favorite films, let alone scare flicks - an almost perfect visual representation of the story "The Turn of the Screw" and boy, does it ever tighten that mutha. Every second has meaning although what that meaning is is wonderfully open to interpretation.

The Others (Alejandro Amenábar, 2001)
The Innocents, done in color for The Sixth Sense Age, but keeping its own twists. Well-acted and creepy with a gimmick that's a strong one if you don't see it coming.

88 Movies
93 Points

Shivers

This was David Cronenberg's debut film, and it's fairly impressive for a low-budget first film. It has its tense moments, and builds up momentum effectively, but still it suffers from a number of problems. Worth taking a look at if you haven't seen it. C+

Movies-9
Points-10

Chappie doesn't like the real world
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (Hooper, 1986)

Terrible. Turned it off before it was over.

May (McKee, 2002)

I liked this one! Angela Bettis knocks it out of the park in her role as May, a misunderstood veterinary assistant. She reminded me of Travis Bickle in some ways, but don't expect a film on that level. Still, definitely worth a watch! Macabre stuff.
I can't believe I forgot about May. I have to watch that again for sure.

I highly recommend it, especially to those who are looking for something that doesn't use the same old tired horror movie clichés.

The Fog (John Carpenter, 1980)
- Carpenter uses his widescreen expertise to gleefully heighten the suspense, but the story and script are especially silly and obvious. Still, it's probably as good as it could be.

Lake Placid (Steve Miner, 1999)
Talk about silly and obvious! However this one is played mostly for laughs, which it surprisingly delivered. There are even some thrills when the giant crocodile appears.

How the hell can anyone in their right mind rate these two films the same?

If you look at them for what they are, what they're trying to achieve and how successful they are, I think that rating's around what I'd do. However, I love The Fog and I think it'll always be at least a
with me.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Candyman-
The Candyman is pretty damn creepy, if you ask me. I liked Virginia Madsen in the lead role. Not a perfect movie but it was decent to watch I suppose.

My movie count: 2

You're Next (2013) -
I've never been a fan of these modern horrors myself, but a horror fan should probably see it.

Maniac (1980) -
I'm a sucker for sleaze, 80s horror, or just the 80s in general, so I wanted to like this a lot more than I did. Had the potential to be one of those cult films, so it's a shame it's so forgettable.

Movies 9
Points 10