Which is better? The original or the remake?

Tools    

Woah, woah, woah! There were jokes in the Monty Python films??!?!
This. Slightly off topic but in my opinion Monty Python are a little bit the Emporer's New Clothes of comedy. It's like you're not allowed to say they're not that funny but I actually don't think they were, maybe at the time when it was new and original but not any more.
And those people who quote Monty Python at me? I want to slap them.

I feel like I've done a terrible thing now, dissing MP but seriously, these days we need more than a few men in women's clothing with silly voices to make us laugh.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'm a vampire!!! > 'Tis but a scratch
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

X-Men II and Blade II were also very well-made sequels I felt, better than the original.

This. Slightly off topic but in my opinion Monty Python are a little bit the Emporer's New Clothes of comedy. It's like you're not allowed to say they're not that funny but I actually don't think they were, maybe at the time when it was new and original but not any more.
And those people who quote Monty Python at me? I want to slap them.

I feel like I've done a terrible thing now, dissing MP but seriously, these days we need more than a few men in women's clothing with silly voices to make us laugh.
I, too, cannot stand Monty Python, but for the same reason. I first watched Holy Grail back in the late 80's, and a couple of the other films in the early 90s when I was in middle/high school and even then I only found them funny for about 20 minutes. That type of humor just drags, IMO. By the time you get to the end of Holy Grail its just tedious. I can take those films in 10-15 minute chunks but I'm just not a MP fan. Sorry, we do exist.

Arcanis, both Friday and Nightmare (remakes) commit the most atrocious of modern horror sins; they have caricatures that are so obnoxious we root for the villain to win. The original Friday was too busy inventing those caricatures to be cliche and Nightmare had Nancy, who was a bit whiny and overacting, but she's someone the viewer remembers and wants to see win. Also, hilarious that your only criticism of that film is comparing it to a film that came out almost a decade after its release.

Total Recall and Robocop (remakes) are completely forgettable with zero of the original films edge. Maybe I dozed off during Robocop, but I don't remember any real satire other than a scenery chewing Samuel L. Jackson who was only in 5 minutes of the film and that was ham-fisted superficiality. The original lambasted TV and pop culture on the periphery of the film with the "I'd buy that for a dollar" guy better than the remake criticized anything. It also pointed out the dangers of privatizing protection, something that's still a hot button topic now (you'd almost think the film was forward thinking!).

Sorry, dude, but you're sort of just plain wrong. Normally I try not to say that when talking about art (except all the time), but in this case I'm pretty sure you're backing the wrong horse.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The Omen (2006) is a horrible remake too!

Generally, remakes are made for the wrong reasons (money) which makes them crap 90% of the times!

As for Monthy Python, they have brilliant moments and they were definitely revolutionary! I'm not saying everything they make is gold, because they have some boring stuff too...

Lord High Filmquisitor
Arcanis, both Friday and Nightmare (remakes) commit the most atrocious of modern horror sins; they have caricatures that are so obnoxious we root for the villain to win. The original Friday was too busy inventing those caricatures to be cliche and Nightmare had Nancy, who was a bit whiny and overacting, but she's someone the viewer remembers and wants to see win. Also, hilarious that your only criticism of that film is comparing it to a film that came out almost a decade after its release.
The original A Nightmare on Elm Street is a fantastic film (especially the dream sequences, which are the exact kind of heavily stylized sequences that I love in films of any kind). I concede that the characterizations of the protagonists are much better handled than in the remake (even if I feel that Rooney Mara and Jackie Earl Haley give superior performances than anybody in the original). I just feel that it unravels so rapidly an so completely near the end, while its remake keeps its intensity until the final scare, that I have to give the edge to the remake.

Sorry, dude, but you're sort of just plain wrong. Normally I try not to say that when talking about art (except all the time), but in this case I'm pretty sure you're backing the wrong horse.
Well, I never said that my opinion was popular (I realize that). To each his or her own.