Why do you hate/love rap music?

Tools    

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Hip-hop was the last rock n' roll, since rock n' roll. It created a stir, a revolution, changed behaviors, fashion, mindsets. The messages are the same in both. It always seemed to me that rock started to fade and hip-hop became the voice of the youth to an extent. If you are looking to find something, it is present in both.

Btw, this is the only thing you need to be concerned with...

...anything less than the best is a felony

I hate metal because it's all screaming and my ears don't like to be assaulted by indecipherable noise.
But there are different types of Metal...

I enjoy Symphonic Metal.... bands like Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, Delain, Apocalyptica.....

I hate metal because it's all screaming and my ears don't like to be assaulted by indecipherable noise.
Shows how little you know about "metal."

It's fine not to like a particular genre and I don't care much for metal myself, but you're being a hypocrite.

Let the night air cool you off
I don't think he was being serious. I think he was merely pointing out the silliness of the criticism against rap music by doing the same thing towards metal.

Either way, it's a BS statement. The people saying "they don't like rap because..." are obviously speaking in terms of what they're familiar with. And whether Tyler likes it or not, the thread is asking for the explanations for why people love or hate the genre. If he has a problem with reading responses that are anti-rap, he ought to just stay out of the thread entirely.

I think what Tyler said is fine. If you don't want to read about people poking holes in what other people use as a criticism, I guess you could stay out of the thread too. But you are invited to stay, because I like you.

I wouldn't call a whole three posts in this thread as "poking holes" in anything. He also never explained to me in what way "oppression, racism, and social dynamics" are "relevant" to my life. Still waiting for him to enlighten me on that one.

I wasn't saying anything about his previous posts, just his most recent. Maybe "poking holes" wasn't the best choice of words, but I stand by it. He at least used an example of the poor arguments waged against rap music by "criticizing" metal in the same manner. I am pretty sure it was pointed at Guapo, and not you or anybody else. Or hell, maybe everybody and Guapo? I don't know, but I thought it was clever.

EDIT: I am pretty sure that he is just saying that because of Guapo. Sounds just like Guapo's anti-rap criticism, and Guapo thinks metal is the best music ever.

Yeah, I thought he was making fun of Guapo and his "I don't want to listen to a guy talking over electronic sounds."

I will say this... if people like rap, thats fine.. its their business.... myself, personally, I dont care for it. Im sure there is music I enjoy, that others do not. My opinion of rap is based on what I have heard. Perhaps its changed over the years but late 80's and early 90's rap is not for me.... just like I dont like the pop music that is played now days. Heck the pop music from the 90s wasnt good either... but if someone wants to listen to it, fine......

Aren't the existence of those things relevant to everyone? And I say this as someone who isn't nuts about rap anyway.
Relevant in a general human rights "oh that sucks and it needs to be changed" kind of way? Sure. But relevant in a way that actually directly affects my life? Not that I can see.

Well, sure, but that seems like an odd standard, given that we all love all sorts of books and movies that don't directly affect us. Other people's art can be (and often is) "relevant" to us because of the existence of empathy, so I don't think anybody needs to demonstrate direct relevance in order to explain why it might be compelling.

Yeah, sure there are reasons that it might be compelling for some people, but Tyler1 seems to think it should be compelling to me.

Here's what Tyler1 said:
Hip hop isn't all about sex and violence. It's also about oppression, racism, and social dynamics that are as relevant to your life as your personal desires.
Again, I don't see those things as being on the same level of relevance to my life.

In all forms of art, I gravitate towards pieces that I can either relate to or lose myself in and 99% of what I've heard of rap music doesn't qualify in either respect.

Yeah, I'm not saying it ought to be compelling to you. I'm saying the fact that it's not directly relevant to you doesn't seem...well, relevant, given the myriad examples of things you like that also probably aren't. Unless you've been a gladiator.

Tyler's arguments may otherwise be compelling or not, I honestly don't know. I just don't think he has to demonstrate personal relevance to you to make his case. The dispositive reason probably lies elsewhere.

I edited my post to illustrate why I take exception to Tyler's statement of relevance regarding those issues. Not sure if you saw it, Yoda.