Godzilla (2014)

→ in
Tools    

The villain in this movie is not Godzilla but some other creature of the same gigantic scale .

The beginning of the movie is on a tragic note as havoc strikes, and suspense is created for some time as to what is the source of all the havoc .

And when the suspense is lifted , we see some real action between monsters . Humans take a backseat in fighting the monsters , and anything they do ( including exploding nuclear bombs ) does not hurt the monsters an inch . In short the monsters are invincible . So only they can kill each other to give relief to humans , just like only iron can cut iron .

And humans need relief urgently , judging from the death toll from the havoc created by the monsters .

Of course , it's not only between monsters---it's a story of humans too , of one family losing two of it's members in the fight against the monsters . And the next generation of that family is also in danger as they are in the forefront of the fight against the monsters .

So can the family's next generation survive in the battle against monsters ??
Who are the monsters anyway ??
What is Godzilla's role in all this ??

Watch the movie for the answers for I am keeping some suspense for you .

The carnage is on a considerable scale and the special effects are okay , but I did not like the 3D effects .

All in all ,a decent movie though not great .

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
A nuclear meltdown 15 years ago bears striking resemblance to some current issues with the area now. What secrets are the government hiding away in the quarantined zone? When a freak of nature breaks lose from the cocoon it was encased in, another comes in to restore balance to the nature of things, while we try to get in his way....he is Godzilla.

There's a lot going on in Godzilla, so I'll give it credit for trying to bring something to the table that the original Americanized version did not. The size and scope of this entry is bigger and better. Gareth Edwards, the guy behind the independent special effects heavy flick Monsters, has been given a monster size of a budget to direct this decades old creature and possible restart a franchise. His delivery of Godzilla is a mess, but it beautiful mess.

The film is gorgeous to look at. Seeing the destruction of the world while these massive beasts tango is a marvellous achievement. Edwards teases the audience a lot here. Just when we are about to see the showdown, he cuts away and we only get glimpses of it on the television. A neat way to build up our anticipation for the destruction that is sure to ensue in the climax. He does this one too many times though and the teases become irritating. Show us what we want: Destruction, Mayhem, GODZILLA.

The special effects are astounding, that's a given. Edwards fully develops these creatures in a life like environment and the destruction they cause feels real. The size and scope of these creatures are leaps and bounds over what Emmerich gave us in the late 90's. The fighting between the monsters is a little rough, Del Toro has more of a craft to it with Pacific Rim. Here it feels more like a brawl, rightfully so.

Godzilla does the cardinal sin of false advertising. I can't really fault the film for this, but I do feel that it was a mistake creatively to kill off certain characters early in the film. There is no emotional catalyst for our lead hero here. It feels forced to try and make those connections it desperately wants the viewer to see and brings the film to sometimes boring sections. The human characters fill out their clichéd roles fine enough. Cranston is dynamite as the guy who is right about ominous things, but nobody believes him. Johnson is our lead, a good guy with father issues, trying to make it back home to his family and be the dad he never had. David Strathairn does his Jason Bourn military shtick and finally we have two actors who do absolutely nothing in the film. First is Ken Watanabe with very few lines, but serious looks here and there. He's our "let's explain everything" guy. The other is Elizabeth Olsen, who has done excellent work, as the wife of our lead. Her job is....I'm still confused here because she isn't even the damsel in distress. She is screen filler. Then last, but not least we have Godzilla, who is barely in the film.

Cardboard characters are to be expected in a monster flick....but aren't monsters expected to be in monster flicks? The guy's name is on the poster and Godzilla has the least amount of screen time here. The other creatures are cool looking as well and I really got into the "history" of when they first showed up and stuff, I just wish they explored that a tad bit more. The film is insanely serious. No real moments of brevity.

I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel, in the hopes that they take this in some kind of direction and not chug out Godzilla VS whatever creature the fans want now....I have my hopes.

Suspect's Reviews

We saw Godzilla tonight and, wonder of wonders, I liked it. The franchise goes all the way back to 1954. A portmanteau of gorilla and whale in Japanese, Gojira was translated into Godzilla for the American version, which toned down the darkness of the post-nuke original and inserted footage of Raymond Burr as a reporter in Tokyo, telling Americans about the disaster. *I saw all the old Japanese movies when I was a kid and this Godzilla seemed like what Toho would have done if they had digital FX instead of rubber costumes, toy cars and cardboard buildings.

This movie is more like the later ones, like a new version of Godzilla, King of the Monsters.*I'll grant that my expectations were not all that high, but it did exceed my modest hopes. *Don't expect much in the way of acting, although the cast was as good as they needed to be, like doing a lot of running and screaming. The 3D FX were quite good, the sound sufficiently bassy. The plot made some sense if you don't remember much from physics and suspend a LOT of disbelief. It’s more Lovecraftian than the previous versions in which the monsters are created by radiation. In this one, they are ancient earth forces, completely indifferent to the fate of humans and the havoc they are creating. I’m surprised to say that I have definitely spent worse evenings at the movies…..it was pretty good.

Saw Godzilla a few days ago. I'm not really an action movie person, so my views need to be taken in that context, but I didn't find the film to be anything special. I suppose most people going to watch a monster movie are more interested in the CGI and less interested in the humans, but I beg to differ. Without a good human story all you end up with is a series of CGI set-pieces that increasingly lose their impact when there doesn't seem to be anything at stake. This was my main problem with Godzilla. I didn't feel invested enough in the human story to care much about the outcome. It's still an enjoyable film though, and worth seeing for the visual spectacle. However, I do find it slightly ironic that the director made a better film with 'Monsters' for a tiny fraction of Godzilla's budget!

Godzilla: 5/10

I was really surprised by the new Godzilla. It was actually the best version ever. It surprised me, shocked me, made me cry even. Plus the cast was perfect, especially Bryan Cranston. It's like what a few critics had to say, I was surprised even the turn out that

WARNING: "Godzilla 2014" spoilers below
Godzilla was the good guy instead of the bad guy

I enjoyed the movie thoroughly.

[spoilers]

Although I may find many people disagreeing here's my view on the movie. Absolute horseshit. The kind of horseshit that you shouldn't even be using as manure as your plants will feel bad.
Everything wrong with the movie:
- This movie was hyped wholly around the casting Bryan Cranston. It was said that he would play a pivotal role in the story. Imagine how you feel when he is only seen in the first 15 minutes of film (5 of which are opening credits), then dies and has nothing to do with rest of the plot or characters and never mentioned again.
- Who is the main protagonist of the movie?
Not Aaron Johnson
Not Bryan Cranston
It's Godzilla. Yep you read right. He is the good guy.
- This movie should have been titled "How to Train Your Godzilla"
In fact, Godzilla is so kind in this movie that he tries to dodge every insignificant boat instead of running through them, tries moving around buildings in order to keep them intact, saves every little human from evil monsters and so on.
On second thoughts, this movie could have been titled "Canadian Godzilla"
- In this movie Godzilla fights creatures that look like a badly designed morph of Kaijus and Jaegers (from Pacific Rim). Apparently, our hero has no other purpose than to "Restore order in nature" by defeating these monsters and is so low key that he was only seen once before and was bombed the **** out of for no reason at all.
- Godzilla has an unexplained superpower of breathing blue fire from his mouth that makes him weak and vulnerable but is so poweful that it immobilized the mighty MUTO (the bad guys who I was talking about), that feed on nuclear bombs, fuels and debris.
- Movie rips off scenes from Pacific Rim, Saving Private Ryan and many others and manages to make them all look ******.
- Godzilla is seen only in the last half hour of the two hour long movie and the fight between the monsters last only for the last ten minutes or so.
Honestly, this movie is so **** that it makes the 90's version of Godzilla like the best monster movie ever made.

To everyone who saw the film, whether you hated it or not, you gotta admit, the HALO jump was pretty badass...

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to share with you this mistake I found.

I made a video! (No spoilers) on youtube it's called " Godzilla (2014) - Huge Mistake ! "

Tell me what you think about it

Thanks

PS: I can't put a link cause I'm new, if someone can put it for me . That would be great =D