The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
Not seen either. The Man who would be King doesnt really appeal to me that much but im definately interested in F for Fake, a bit gutted I didnt get round to watching that actually.
I can bung it in the post if you want.

F for Fake has been on my watchlist for a while, will definitely check it out soon. Loved Straw Dogs and it was on my list. Wasn't that impressed by Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, but there's some good stuff in it.

The Man Who Would Be King is endlessly wonderful, and the third movie from my own list to make the countdown. I had it as my number ten.

10. The Man Who Would Be King
13. Breaking Away
17. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	king.png
Views:	533
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	16451  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Only seen 2 of the last 8. Haven't seen Saturday Night Fever in years but i doubt it would've made my list if i'd rewatched it anyway. I really like Straw Dogs, it was one of the last few to be cut from my list. Most of the rest have been on my watchlist for a while.

Another one bites the dust!

I was starting to worry that it wouldn't make it anymore, but Orson Welles' wonderful meditation on the meaning of art and fakery was on my list! People sometimes call it a documentary, but I agree more with Peter Bogdanovich, who calls it an "essay". Welles truly showcases his mastery in this film. Its editing style is so unique and so hypnotic... I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. It's one of those films that made me unhappy when it was over. It was so fresh, cool, interesting and profound that I just wanted it to keep on going! The film kind of makes me think about something Marlene Dietrich once said about Orson Welles: "When I talk with him, I feel like a tree that has been watered."

Well, I felt like a tree that had been watered after watching this film. I love it!
It was #17 on my list.

SEEN: 7/20

100. Logan's Run -

98. Being There -

97. Fantastic Planet -
+
96. All That Jazz -
#12 on my list!
87. Saturday Night Fever -

84. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie -

82. F for Fake -
#17 on my list!

F for Fake I watched recently. It's like nothing I have seen before and I would recommend it to everyone interested in film. I had read quite a bit about it beforehand, about the nature of 'essay films', but that still did not really prepare me. It is fascinating in its style as Welles uses a series of tricks, mostly visual through clever and deliberately confusing editing, and it is also quite informative when it comes to the world of forgery, so those who are fans of this topic or enjoy stuff like Hustle, you would probably enjoy this too. A really great experiment that is a whole lot of fun. Did not make my top 25, but probably in my top 50, so I am glad it made it

The Man who would be King looks interesting, I like Huston, and whilst I am a bit skeptical to Connery and Caine these days, their earlier work is normally very interesting, so I will give it a watch eventually.

The People's Republic of Clogher
F For Fake is a hugely self indulgent little ditty, even for Big Orson. A proper curate's egg of a film.

EDIT - Andy, PM it to me again. I've got a big eBay postal run next week so will pop the DVD in the pile.

I really didn't care for F for Fake and I missed The Man Who Would Be King; I'll watch it tonight. Both of these surprised me by showing up.

I watched Autumn Sonata; if not for this forum, I would've shut it off after a half hour. I'm glad I didn't as I loved the rest of it.

I've not seen F for Fake. I do remember reading about it, and being interested, but there were always too many other things to see. It is now on my Netflix queue....right near the top behind a few other 70s films.

The Man Who Would Be King was just one of two films I specifically rewatched in preparation for making the list. I didn't include it, but it is a lot of fun. It just missed the cut.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Haven't seen F for Fake.

I have seen The Man Who Would Be King but it was a long time ago. As far as I recall it was good, but I'm still slightly surprised to see it here as I didn't know it was so popular.

So far...

Seen: 9/20
My list: 2 All That Jazz, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

A system of cells interlinked
F is for Fake was pretty damned interesting, but I guess it isn't something I felt compelled to watch again, so I couldn't consider it for my list. Wells is THE MAN, though...I've not seen the other title.

hoorah! a movie i've seen showed up, the Man Who Would Be King

i like that movie. Sean Connery, Michael Caine, & Christopher Plummer. now that i think about it, i wish i had at least put it at #25 on my list. but i didn't

if i remember clearly, it's a story about two free mason ex-British soldiers. they travel to Kafiristan, which is in Afghanistan, and set themselves up as deities

it's directed by John Huston, director of the Treasure of the Sierra Madre, the Maltese Falcon, the African Queen, Key Largo, and the Asphalt Jungle

it's also got a cool soundtrack, which is always a plus for me

not a bad pick people

I'm not a fanatic of F for Fake, like so many others on the forum. The narration was occasionally interesting, always pretentious. And the whole It's been over and hour twist had no shock value. It's certainly a unique documentary, but that's about it. Haven't seen The Man WHO would be King, sure looks interesting though.

My list:
7. Straw Dogs
17. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
23. The Holy Mountain

Seen:
8/20

Can anyone post the 20 so far? I think I've missed a couple.

Haven't seen either of the last two.
The list is on the front page, second post.

Exterminate all rational thought.
Quite a diverse list so far. The 70's really was an excellent decade for film. I'm sure all the usual suspects will be higher up, but it is nice to see a lot of these other ones get onto the list. I know my list is guilty of more well known stuff this decade. A bunch of my personal favorites are from the 70's and I just couldn't lower their status on my list in the hopes of getting some of the more obscure 70's gems on here!