3rd Mofo Movie Hall Of Fame Nominations

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
It's really good. I'm happy about it being inducted. So far I haven't been disappointed.

You should join in one next time, Camo. The next one will be starting in Oct. (the current one is full) We always need new opinions and viewpoints. Besides it's my goal to get all the regular members to take part in at least one. The Hall of Fame is one of my favorite things about the forums. I am glad I inherited it from Jiraffe.

400 Blows eh? Fair enough. Truffaut has done more interesting work though, for me. The top 5 wasn't surprising after witnessing the discussions I don't think. Interested in seeing how the next one turns out.

It's really good. I'm happy about it being inducted. So far I haven't been disappointed.

You should join in one next time, Camo. The next one will be starting in Oct. (the current one is full) We always need new opinions and viewpoints. Besides it's my goal to get all the regular members to take part in at least one. The Hall of Fame is one of my favorite things about the forums. I am glad I inherited it from Jiraffe.
Count me in the October one . Can i still vote for one as long as i've seen all of the nominated films? I want to help Daniel get , elected .

Sorry, but no. Looking forward to having you apart of the October one though.

You are welcome to join in the conversations and plead your case for 81/2.

I'm going to have a short film HoF sometime in the near future. I figure it can go on the same time as the other one being as how the films are short and all. I thought I would just give everyone a heads up in case you would want to be apart of that.

Sorry, but no. Looking forward to having you apart of the October one though.

You are welcome to join in the conversations and plead your case for 81/2.
Makes sense. I'll wait until i need to beg for 's, votes .

Let the night air cool you off
The 400 Blows kind of seems like an unexpected winner, but that's probably because there wasn't a whole lot of discussion about it.

My votes:
1. House
2. Sex, Lies, and Videotape
3. The Wind Will Carry Us
4. The Swimmer
5. Nashville
6. The 400 Blows

7. Some Like It Hot
8. The Straight Story
9. Mary and Max
10. The Hedgehog
11. Once Were Warriors
12. The Insider
13. PMMM
14. Dr. Zhivago

400 Blows eh? Fair enough. Truffaut has done more interesting work though, for me. The top 5 wasn't surprising after witnessing the discussions I don't think. Interested in seeing how the next one turns out.
He's even done more interesting Antoine Doinel films

I liked it a lot and it's a worthy winner. My list:

1. Once Were Warriors
2. The Wind Will Carry Us
3. The Hedgehog
4. The Straight Story
5. Mary & Max
6. The 400 Blows
7. The Swimmer
8. Nashville
9. House
10. Sex Lies & Videotape
11. Some Like it Hot
12. The Insider
13. Doctor Zhivago
14. PMMM

I suppose I should post my list:

Mary and Max
Once Were Warriors
The Hedgehog
The 400 Blows
The Straight Story
The Swimmer
Nashville
House
The Insider
Some Like It Hot
Puella Magi Modoka Magica
Sex Lies and Videotape
Dr. Zhivago
The wind will carry us

Before watching all the movies, I would have expected Nashville and Some Like it Hot to place much higher. House was the first movie I watched that I hadn't seen before and I thought that was a top 5 contender for sure . 4 movies that I hadn't seen just kind of changed everything for me. I hope this continues on long enough that several movies from this HoF get nominated again. I hope the next one proves as hard for me to make my list as this one did.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
We have such a range of years represented in the Hall of Fame, 1959-1960! The 400 Blows is good, 4th on my list and a good pick for the Hall of Fame. I agree with winter that Truffaut has made better and more interesting films, but it also introduced Jean-Pierre Leaud, who turned out to be a great actor well past his performance here.

Here's my list, if I were to resubmit it, I would probably swap the places of The Hedgehog and The Swimmer:

1. The Wind WIll Carry Us
2. House
3. Nashville
4. 400 Blows
5. The Straight Story
6. Sex, Lies & Videoape
7. Some Like it Hot
8. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
9. The Hedgehog
10. Mary and Max
11. Dr. Zhivago
12. The Insider
13. The Swimmer
14. Once Were Warriors

Here's my list, if I were to resubmit it, I would probably swap the places of The Hedgehog and The Swimmer:
Was it tactical voting or are you just revising your opinion about it?

This was my list:

1. The Swimmer
2. Some Like it Hot
3. Nashville
4. Doctor Zhivago
5. The 400 Blows
6. The Straight Story
7. Sex, Lies & Videotape
8. The Wind Will Carry Us
9. The Insider
10. Mary and Max
11. The Hedgehog
12. Hausu
13. Once Were Warriors
14. Puella Magi Madoka Magica (because of the reason I stated before)

If anyone wants to know my opinion about a certain film on the list, just ask.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I'm really glad that The Wind WIll Carry Us made the top 5! While I know a number of people didn't care for it at all, a number of others loved it, which makes me feel better about nominating it

Was it tactical voting or are you just revising your opinion about it?
I just want to say something about tactical voting. I saw no evidence of it and I thought that everyone's list reflected what they said about the movies. I hope that trend continues because this is not about keeping a movie out that is viewed as a threat to the movie wanted in. I'm very much against tactical voting and is one of the reasons (there are others that I am now requiring people to give a little write-up about each movie. Also lists are expected to be public once the winner is announced so hopefully that will help in that regards.

Yeah, I'm happy that the 400 blows won, it's one of my favorite movie. To those who said that Truffaut made some better stuff which of his film is better?

And Goddogo yep I'll do a write up this afternoon.

That was my list

#1 400 Blows (1959 Francois Truffaut)
I know it's easy to put my nomination at #1,but I really believe it's the best movie out of these. I rewatched it and enjoyed it ever more it's everything I love in movie a great personnal story, beautiful cinematography, hunting imagery and an ending that stays with you long after you finish watching it

#2 The Straight Story (1999 David Lynch)
This one really came close to detrone Truffaut's masterpiece. I can't really explain why because the movie is now in my top 50 if not 40 so thanks to honeykid for that,but I guess that visually the 400 blows strikes me a little bit more. It's a beautiful tocuhing, simple story of an old man wanting to go see his brother and who does it with his lawn-mower. I love the shots of Alvin on the road it's calm and beautiful. The kind of movie that makes you want to live, get out and just enjoy what you have.

#3 Nashville (1975 Robert Altman)
When I think about it I don't see what's so special about it because lets be honest, the plot itself is quasi inexistant and there isn't any message to it, but still I loved it. I guess it's a mix of realism, very interesting characters and obviously the great music that perfectly match what's going on in the film. I'm easy by Keith Carradine really got me emotionally invested, it really was perfect.

#4 Puella Magi Madoka Magica
I'm a huge anime fan and I really wasn't looking forward to it because I thought it was a shojo. (In anime and manga there are different genres shonen is battle animes made for teen boys, seinen are more mature and gore story made for young adults and shojo is some little cuty story for little girls) What it does is that it takes all the cliché of the shojo and actually destroys it. Also there are some highly philosophical themes at stake here, I actually believe that what Kyubei is doing is morally acceptable. It's a pretty scary thought when you have a character that can justify with rational argumentation the extinction of certain human beings, really a masterpiece I agree with Guap about it.

#5 The Insider (1999 Michael Mann)
Exceptionnal movie non only highly entertaining, but it also makes us ask question and think about what you would do in the place of Russel Crowe's character. You know that speaking out is doing the right thing, but the problem is that you have a familly to protect. It shows really well that when you have a familly you need to provide and that you lose some of the intellectual and moral liberty that you have if you don't have one.

#6 The Hedgehog (2009 Mona Achache)
Already wrote about it fantastic movie, touching, I wept.

#7 Some Like it Hot (1959 Billy Wilder)
One of the funniest movie I've seen, the problem is that I don't really like Marilyn Monroe, I really couldn't care less about her. Curtis and Lemmon are fantastic and Wilder's direction is terrific and that's what makes the film the masterpiece that it is.

#8 Once Were Warriors
Already wrote about it, great film. I can't believe this film is that low because I really loved it.

#9 The Wind Will Carry Us (1999 Abbas Kiarostami)
I don't think I get all the symbolism, but I still really enjoyed it. I loved the photography of the film, how the community and the village looked was mesmorizing. Also I loved the dynamic between the little kid and our main character. That's one I will revisit eventually.

#10 Dr. Zhivago (1965 David Lean)
Already wrote about it I think it's a masterpiece it's just not really my type of film. Still I'd give it a solid 8/10 the competition is really good.

#11Mary and Max (2009 Adam Elliot)
A great story, but to me the movie is visually unpleasant. Unfortunately that's one of my top criteria in a movie, the feel of it, how it looks and I didn't enjoy that aspect of that film even though the story if beautiful, original and touching.

#12 Sex, Lies & Videotape (1989 Steven Soderbergh)
A little forgettable, but I still had a good time watching it. The girl in that movie was gorgeous.

#13 The Swimmer (1968 Frank Perry, Sydney Pollack)
The first 30,40 minutes I love. I thought it was going to be a ''pure man'' that, as he go thorugh other people' house, gets changed, but instead his past resurfaced and I didn't get it.

#14 House (1977 Nobuhiko Obayashi)
Meh, didn't care for it at all. It would be in my top 20 worst movies I've seen lol.

I wasn't happy with Once Were Warriors placement either. I thought it was a powerful movie that stayed with me for a long time.

#13 The Swimmer (1968 Frank Perry, Sydney Pollack)
The first 30,40 minutes I love. I thought it was going to be a ''pure man'' that, as he go thorugh other people' house, gets changed, but instead his past resurfaced and I didn't get it.
What part didn't you get? It's not that an ambiguous film...

I wasn't happy with Once Were Warriors placement either. I thought it was a powerful movie that stayed with me for a long time.
It's a solid film and it's well made, but it was a little too overly melodramatic for my tastes. I also thought some of the characters' reactions to the events in the film (especially at the end) were a little bit extreme in terms of sentimentality or aggression (the mother and the father both in different ways). It didn't feel real anymore to me.

I thought it was a tad overdone in regards to the dad, but not so much that it really detracted from how I felt about the film.

I've seen alcoholism at work and it does make for melodrama and overreaction, so I didn't find it all that unreal. It's amazing to me what some people have as their "normal" and I unfortunately didn't see it as being all that unrealistic under the right circumstance. Especially the part where the two women are talking after one was been beat. It infuriated me because I could see that happening. It may have been a particularly bad beating for the women to be so cavalier about it, but I still believed the scene.