The MoFo Director Fan Clubs!

Tools    

Oh, sorry, reading quickly at work.

As for Nic ROEG, his first five, for sure: Perrformance, Walkabout, Don't Look Now, The Man Who Fell to Earth, and Bad Timing. After that, much more scattered, though I gotta recommend Full Body Massage because I never tire of Mimi Rogers' glorious rack, which is on display all throughout that flick.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	bowie.jpg
Views:	5718
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	15198  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
There's a nice album inspired by the famous quote from In a Lonely Place:

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You don't see people forgiving other nonces, so why him? I haven't watched any of his films since I found out.
Yet you watched X-Men: Days of Future Past and loved it despite the allegations against Bryan Singer.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm surprised no one has already said Sam Raimi

Consider this my nomination.

Whether it's bloody fun (Evil Dead II, Drag Me To Hell), big budget spectacles (Spiderman, Oz The Great & Powerful) or mature pieces (A Simple Plan, The Gift) Raimi isn't afraid to dip his talent in the genre pool.

When people think of Raimi they think of his two biggest achievements, The Evil Dead trilogy and the Spiderman trilogy. I was first introduced to Raimi's work through Army of Darkness. The hilariously over the top stooges style caught my attention and I went looking for the films that came before it. So when I was sitting alone in my basement watching The Evil Dead for the first time on VHS, I knew I wanted to become a filmmaker. Something about a bunch of friends, getting some money together and going out into the woods on their own, playing by their own rules and making a film spoke to me. To this day, The Evil Dead remains to be one of the scariest films put to screen. The sequel is one of, if not THE, best horror-comedy. Many people prefer the sequel, but they are both on par with each other to me.

Spiderman is his most profitable film and the original BIG opening weekend blockbuster IMO. The first film to gross over 100 million opening weekend. We have come a far way since then. Seeing Spiderman swing through the skyline felt like a leap in technology and opened the doors for more comic book films. Sure Donner's Superman was the first big comic book film and Burton's Batman is a classic...but if you are to look at the superhero comic book film formula today. You can thank both Singer's X-Men and Raimi's Spiderman for that.

With Spiderman 2 Raimi has one of the best superhero films of all time under his belt. Impressive visuals, a spectacular fight sequence on top of a train and a memorable villain paved the way for Spiderman 2 to be considered the best in the series and one of the best in the genre.

Raimi is close friends with the Coen brothers, he helped them get their first film off the ground. When they did Fargo Raimi's decided to do a companion piece, so we got the cold character drama A Simple Plane, where 3 friends find a bag of cash inside a crashed plane. The greed and suspicion is too much and they begin to turn on each other. A really underrated film in my opinion that EVERYONE should check out right now.

After the big budget spectacles, Raimi went back to his roots with Drag Me To Hell. A HELL-ariously awesome cartoon fun ride through horror. No cheap scares, just pure hilariously comedy and horror. The film didn't do well at the box office, but it's just so much FUN to watch, that I don't care. It showed me that Raimi knows his roots and isn't afraid to go back and give the fans of his early works what they want. Which is why he produces so much horror and one of those films was The Evil Dead remake.

The Quick & The Dead, again, another fun flick that is a Western. A freakin' Western people!!!! Leonardo DiCaprio, Gene Hackman, Russell Crowe, Sharon Stone. What a cast!!! For The Love of The Game...a sports movie!!! The man is able to go into unfamiliar territory and try new things.

He has his signature look and style. You'll always see a POV shot in one of his flicks and a cameo from his best friend Bruce Campbell and brother Ted Raimi.

Sam Riami Fan Club, UNITE!!!!

The Evil Dead
The Evil Dead II
Army of Darkness
Spiderman
Spiderman 2
Spiderman 3
For The Love of the Game
The Quick and the Dead
Oz the Great and Powerful
Darkman
Drag Me To Hell
A Simple Plan
The Gift

Suspect's Reviews

Unregistered User
Add me into the Roman Polanski group. I'll admit that i have only seen several of his filmography as a director but of those i have, ive loved. Particular attention to his Apartment Trilogy which i thought was fantastic, i loved the themes of isolation, paranoia and descent into madness. Somewhat bleak and uneasy films maybe but for whatever reason, these are the types of films i enjoy. Add in Chinatown, The Pianist and Carnage and you can call me a fan who's looking forward to discovering more.

I'll come back to join more groups at a later date.

ps. no love for Takeshi Kitano?

You can add me to the Roman Polanski club. He was my favorite director for a little bit. I love the Apartment trilogy. Rosemary's Baby remains the only film to genuinely scare me after I was 12. I actually like The Tenant the most of the trilogy, that film was in the running to finish off my top ten. But he's done other great stuff as well. I don't even need to mention Chinatown, but I also liked The Pianist, The Ghost Writer, Knife in the Water, and The Fearless Vampire Killers. Polanski has never disappointed me.

How many clubs can i enter at once?
As many as you like. You just have to write a (short) explanation for every single one of them before you'll be admitted (2 or 3 lines for each director is already enough).

What Suspect said. Add me to the Raimi cult, I mean club. He's a superbly visual director, with a comic bookish style synthesizing numerous geeky elements such as aforementioned stooges slapstick, lovecraftian weirdness, idiosyncratic characters that tread the line between cartoonish simplicity and richly contradictory humanity. His kinetic camera immersed me in the action of Dead By Dawn, his trademark 360 instilled foreboding, his swoops and chases left me breathless, almost hyper-Scorsesian as we move through sets, and explore settings seemingly without restriction.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

i would like to start the abbas kiarostami fan club. i recently watched four of his movies, and i loved ever single one. they're all incredibly beautiful and challenging and unlike anything i've ever seen before. i still have a lot more to see from him, but he might just be my favorite director at the moment.

This whole thing is stupid, like I suspected it would be. Nobody does anything with these fan clubs. It's all, "Hey!!!!! I'm starting a fan club!!!!!!" That's all it is -- an announcement. No actual fan club stuff has happened. It's like going out on the street and screaming at the top of your lungs, "I AM STANDING HERE!!!!!!!" for no reason.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
This whole thing is stupid, like I suspected it would be. Nobody does anything with these fan clubs. It's all, "Hey!!!!! I'm starting a fan club!!!!!!" That's all it is -- an announcement. No actual fan club stuff has happened. It's like going out on the street and screaming at the top of your lungs, "I AM STANDING HERE!!!!!!!" for no reason.
I'd like to eventually open up a Hitchcock thread where we dissect some of his films.

It's also useful to just know which members have which "sympathies". That way people know which MoFos they can turn to when they want specific recommendations or when they just feel like having a discussion with someone about a certain director's filmography.

To be honest, I think I've never fully understood the purpose of this thread/initiative. Of course there should be specific discussion about all these directors and it would be fine to have fan clubs for each where we talk about stuff. So far it's just a fancy curiosity.

I'd be glad to join the Gregg Araki (watched only two movies, both solid
s though), Ingmar Bergman, Luis Buñuel, Charlie Chaplin, Alfred Hitchcock, Stanley Kubrick, Akira Kurosawa, Roman Polanski, Quentin Tarantino and Orson Welles clubs. They are a bunch and explaining what I like about each would require a big time investment, but I'll be glad to further comment on any of them.

Oh yep, and since Guaporense didn't create the Hayao Miyazaki fanclub, I will. He's my favorite director after all, and his movies insanely rewatchable and interpretable pieces of art.