Mad Max: Fury Road

Tools    

I don't mind at all a sexy woman with fake boobs and a skimpy outfit running around and starring in her own action movie. I think that's good. Just as these male action stars like to get all macho, if female action stars wanna get all bimbo-like, the more, the merrier.
In moderation 'cheescake' is perfectly fine - just like sugar in a person's diet. It's only the prudes who have a problem with it existing "at all".

But I'm definitely not going to advocate for more of it just for the sake of it - that's basically when movies become "junk food for the brain" - aka pure stimulation without any regards for realism or plot. It'd be like advocating for "more big explosions" in movies.

Basically IMO if Zotis is asking for 'more women in action movies' just to oogle their unrealistically fit bodies, that's the dumbest reason for it I can think of

You know, I wasn't gonna say anything, but I might as well speak up.

If what I'm hearing about this movie -- that it's basically a feminist movie and the Charlize Theron character is really the real lead instead of Max -- I'm annoyed. And I feel I have every right to be annoyed because if this was a franchise that had always been about a female character, and suddenly a male character took over, you know women everywhere would be complaining about it and nobody would tell them to shut up.

In this poster, which seems to be the main poster everywhere, Charlize looks like the lead character, and Max, in the background, with a thing over his face, and his eyes not showing -- looks very secondary. And that bothers me.

I haven't seen the movie, yet. I have no idea how much Mad Max is in it. But I am getting a kind of vibe here that this is basically a Charlize Theron movie that's secretly about a female Mad Max. And it is turning me off from seeing the movie.
This is beyond ridiculous.

Fury Road follows the same basic plot structure as the other films in the franchise. Max is not the initiator of the action, he's the one that puts things into place once the ball starts rolling. He's the legendary reluctant hero.

The fact that Theron is just as tough as him doesn't mean a damn thing except that women can also be badasses. Get over yourself.

If you're concerned that you won't get enough hunky dudes, Max is still in almost every frame of the film and, the few times he's not, Nicholas Hoult is. But, come on, that's a terrible reason to put down a strong feminist image.

Fury Road is not a film that takes away from Max and his masculinity or importance as a character. It's a story that enhances the mythology and brings it to the modern era.

I don't mind at all a sexy woman with fake boobs and a skimpy outfit running around and starring in her own action movie. I think that's good. Just as these male action stars like to get all macho, if female action stars wanna get all bimbo-like, the more, the merrier.

That was another thing that bothered me -- I read an article that said the new Mad Max movie wasn't concerned about trying to have a really macho guy. As if Mad Max should just be -- I dunno -- sitting around, crying.
HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAA!

WTF?!?!?!? Sitting around crying?!? Come the hell on. Watch the movie and tell me how emasculated he is.

Reported that one for trolling/personal attacks - ex "get over yourself".

Looks like BB needs to take his own advice on that one, lol

I care if it's Mad Max. Excuse me, but Mad Max is hot. You want a hot action babe -- tell her to get her own damn franchise and leave Mad Max alone.
You don't think the people making the movie have the right to do what they want?

Just got back from the cinema. Definitely lived up to the hype. This is the first time I've heard about this apparent feminist agenda in the film. It didn't even cross my mind during and after I saw it.

Basically IMO if Zotis is asking for 'more women in action movies' just to oogle their unrealistically fit bodies, that's the dumbest reason for it I can think of
I love how long winded you are, even preparing arguments for hypothetical scenarios. You presume too much, which is why I choose not to actually engage any of your arguments.

Just got back from the cinema. Definitely lived up to the hype. This is the first time I've heard about this apparent feminist agenda in the film. It didn't even cross my mind during and after I saw it.
Like I said... No one gives a damn about politics when you are watching a two hour version of the final chase of The Road Warrior. Glad you liked it.

Seems like there's gripe about the promotional poster showing Therizon's face clearly but having Max's obscured with a mask - making it look like she's the star of the film instead of Tom Hardy

...what's weird though is that that poster isn't even an actual scene in the film.

I love how long winded you are, even preparing arguments for hypothetical scenarios. You presume too much, which is why I choose not to actually engage any of your arguments.
Main problem with your reply is that it wasn't addressing the argument, since no one "doesn't want women in action movies" - the debate was whether or not the supporting actress was shoehorned into a more important role than Max just for political correctness.

And your own words were "I like it because it's hot", so what was I presuming? lol

Like I said... No one gives a damn about politics when you are watching a two hour version of the final chase of The Road Warrior. Glad you liked it.
I might have changed the intense action right off the bat, but I'm not complaining.

I suggest people watch the movie first before jumping to conclusions.

This is beyond ridiculous.

Fury Road follows the same basic plot structure as the other films in the franchise. Max is not the initiator of the action, he's the one that puts things into place once the ball starts rolling. He's the legendary reluctant hero.

The fact that Theron is just as tough as him doesn't mean a damn thing except that women can also be badasses. Get over yourself.
And I'm not against that at all -- but they can do it in their own franchises. If they're gonna make a Mad Max movie, it better put Mad Max as the #1 character and he should be the prominent person on the poster, not Charlize Theron.

Originally Posted by bouncingbrick
If you're concerned that you won't get enough hunky dudes, Max is still in almost every frame of the film and, the few times he's not, Nicholas Hoult is. But, come on, that's a terrible reason to put down a strong feminist image.
It isn't just about me wanting a sexy man to look at. Films like these are about masculine role model types, in a way, I feel. Something guys can look up to and aspire to.

But if you start turning Mad Max movies into films about strong women... you're neglecting the male audience. And frankly, the male audience got Mad Max for themselves first. He should be for them and he should stay for them. To me, this is like doing a Bridget Jones' Diary movie that largely focused on a man writing in a diary. It's absurd and it's stealing enjoyment away from women, who came to see a woman's movie. Women can have women's movies, but why is it so wrong for men to have their own films? This, I feel, is the problem. Men are getting their own stuff taken away just so women can play with it and own it. I'm not at all against female action stars and characters and films and all that -- but DON'T take Mad Max and turn the movie into a female driven film. DON'T take Ghostbusters and make them all women. GIVE THEM SOMETHING ELSE! Have them make THEIR OWN strong films, their own properties. Instead of just having them steal from the guys' stuff.

One of these days, Indiana Jones is gonna be female. Or James Bond will become Jennifer Bond. And so on and so on and so on. It will be everywhere, if you let it. All of the popular male characters will become women. I think it will be disgusting if that happens. I literally could see this becoming a big trend, if it isn't already happening.

You don't think the people making the movie have the right to do what they want?
They have the right to do what they want -- but I'm not gonna tell them they're doing the right thing, no matter what.

As far as I know, this is still George Miller's franchise, and he can do whatever he wants with it.

Seems like there's gripe about the promotional poster showing Therizon's face clearly but having Max's obscured with a mask - making it look like she's the star of the film instead of Tom Hardy

...what's weird though is that that poster isn't even an actual scene in the film.
Maybe, but I think the actual subject matter in the movie is what matters; not a poster.

One of these days, Indiana Jones is gonna be female. Or James Bond will become Jennifer Bond. And so on and so on and so on. It will be everywhere, if you let it. All of the popular male characters will become women. I think it will be disgusting if that happens. I literally could see this becoming a big trend, if it isn't already happening.
Gross exaggeration.

Maybe, but I think the actual subject matter in the movie is what matters; not a poster.
I myself never thought the movie was feminist at all from the promos I saw - especially considering that Tina Turner was a strong role in Thunderome.

I agree that the poster was very badly designed however.

Well, I don't approve of the poster.

I myself never thought the movie was feminist at all from the promos I saw - especially considering that Tina Turner was a strong role in Thunderome.
Tina Turner and Beyond Thunderdome was a totally different thing. I love Tina Turner's character and that film. But that was 30 years ago.

Well, I don't approve of your complaining when you haven't even seen the film yet.
Tough.

I don't see the feminist agenda in this at all. Furiosa is the only really strong female character in it, surrounded by a bunch of tough men. I didn't see this as feminist at all. I accepted this as just being part of the harsh world that Miller created - if you want to make it, you get tough whether there's a set of testicles swinging between your legs or not. And Furiosa got tough.

But she's not some superhero She-Woman and I didn't see her strength as being beyond belief. She was a better marksman than Max, but he far excelled her at hand-to-hand combat. They save each other multiple times and have a relationship of mutual respect.

As to "that thing on his face," Max sheds it pretty quickly. He is in no way emasculated in this film. And I think Hardy was an excellent choice for Max.

10 bucks says Yoda will conveniently not show up this time and discuss derailment of the thread, lol

As to "that thing on his face," Max sheds it pretty quickly. He is in no way emasculated in this film. And I think Hardy was an excellent choice for Max.
Almost made me wonder if it was a subtle reference to Bane.