The MoFo Top 100 Animated Films - The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Rewatched Wall·E yesterday.

I thought it was great the first time around but there was too much going on to get in at once. But man, this is such a stunning film! I did not put it on my list for two reasons: I knew it would be high anyways, and I had only seen it once I didn't think I could remember/get my head around enough to justify a high rating. But it's a
in my opinion, maybe take half a popcorn, but no less...

If I were to put it on my list it would be at least 6 or 7.

I can't believe I just looked at my animation top 25 and I've missed out Up How annoying. Oh well I guess it didn't need my help anyway unless it misses the top slot by only a few votes. What was I thinking of??

I know everyone goes on about the opening montage but it is amongst the most moving pieces of cinema ever, specially when you've got old like me and can see more of your life in perspective

Number of great animated films is very small though because there are very few of them. As a result the mainstream blockbusters dominate the list since they are the only ones everybody who send their lists had watched. It doesn't matter how good a film is if only 2-3 people out of ca. 70 who submitted their lists watched it.
That's inherent to any top list we make here with this system; though. Anyway I think the mere idea of listing a top25 of animated films drove many people to explore animation a lot more than they had, since it's still a kind of niche medium. In that sense this has been a very positive experience.

If we ever try another top animated list, I would like to try another format, though. Just out of curiosity. Maybe a tournament or preliminary nominations. Same goes for the tops of the decade and other lists we make.

3. Spirited Away - Voting Stats

Total Points: 720
Part of a Numeric Tie? No.
39 Votes: Eight 1st Place (25 pts. each), Four 2nd Place (24 pts. each), Six 3rd Place (23 pts. each), 4th Place (22 pts.), Three 5th Place (21 pts. each), Two 6th Place (20 pts. each), Two 8th Place (18 pts. each), 9th Place (17 pts.), Three 12th Place (14 pts. each), Three 14th Place (12 pts. each), 17th Place (9 pts.), Two 19th Place (7 pts. each), 22nd Place (4 pts.), 24th Place (2 pts.), 25th Place (1 pt.)

That's right Ghibli fans, even with eight number one votes - by far the highest of any film on the countdown - Spirited Away failed to beat King Pixar.

Spirited Away was my 24th.

My last spaces aren't going to show now I reckon... shame really as I honestly thought #19 was a shoe-in.

05. Dumbo (1941) - 49th
06. WALL-E (2008) - 4th
07. Coraline (2009) - 36th
08. Beavis And Butt-Head Do America (1996) - 66th
09. The Lion King (1994) - 5th
11. Aladdin (1992) - 15th
12. Monsters Inc. (2001) - 7th
13. Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs (1937) - 31st
14. Shrek (2001) - 21st
15. Finding Nemo (2003) - 6th
16. The Simpsons Movie (2007) - 51st
17. Watership Down (1978) - 75th
18. The Iron Giant (1999) - 22nd
20. Fantasia (1940) - 20th
21. A Scanner Darkly (2006) - 47th
22. Akira (1988) - 29th
24. Spirited Away (2001) - 3rd
25. Alice In Wonderland (1951) - 33rd

If we ever try another top animated list, I would like to try another format, though. Just out of curiosity. Maybe a tournament or preliminary nominations. Same goes for the tops of the decade and other lists we make.
I rather like the system we use. I think it seems more fair to the voters and the films than what you're suggesting.

Tournaments are unfair because not every film would go up against every other film, it's luck of the draw as to which contestants actually compete with each other. And all preliminary nominations would do is further limit the pool that people can vote from.

I had Spirited Away at #17. Might would have been higher with a rewatch, but I defiantly liked it. I think it was maybe my first ever Mayazaki. If not, then the second... So I have learned more about him and his style since, so who knows what a rewatch could do.

The last one to make my list was Ratatouille. It was a lonely time for Pixar, that fateful day Linespalsy put pen to paper and composed his list of 25 great animated movies.

I rather like the system we use. I think it seems more fair to the voters and the films than what you're suggesting.

Tournaments are unfair because not every film would go up against every other film, it's luck of the draw as to which contestants actually compete with each other. And all preliminary nominations would do is further limit the pool that people can vote from.
The only thing preliminary nominations do in this case is adding another round. Say, for instance, if we pick the 100 most voted movies like we did here, we would make a list and this list would be visible. The second round of voting would consist on ordering this list in a 100-1 point scale. This would not allow to discover more stuff, but would serve to order this top using different standards. It would be a longer term thing (since it's two rounds of voting), and of course the content is inherently limited to those nominated in the first round, but I believe that the effect of popularity or previous knowledge would be effectively weighed.

I don't see any substantial advantage to a tournament, but it's fun

Spirited Away didn't actually make my list, maybe it could have in the bottom half. I think it's very good, but there are other Miyazaki films that I prefer over it. Some of the elements are spectacular, where in some parts I found it to be a bit jumbled and unfocussed, the same for the animation: there's something beautiful stuff, but some of the elements are very odd (i.e giant baby). I like the whole fantasy setting and child at the centre, maybe I would like it more if I watched it again.

The only thing preliminary nominations do in this case is adding another round. Say, for instance, if we pick the 100 most voted movies like we did here, we would make a list and this list would be visible. The second round of voting would consist on ordering this list in a 100-1 point scale. This would not allow to discover more stuff, but would serve to order this top using different standards. It would be a longer term thing (since it's two rounds of voting), and of course the content is inherently limited to those nominated in the first round, but I believe that the effect of popularity or previous knowledge would be effectively weighed.

I don't see any substantial advantage to a tournament, but it's fun
Interesting ideas, to be sure. The 100-1 point scale sounds cool.

That said, what you're describing might be a theoretically better way to measure the aggregate tastes of the community, but not necessarily in practice. I think your way might be better if we could ensure that just as many people would do all that, but I don't think they would. Especially assigning points to 100 movies!

Anyone who's run one of these lists can tell you that it's surprisingly hard getting people to participate, even if they're fairly excited about the idea, so that's a big consideration.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Spirited Away was my #1 film, no contest. It's a modern day Alice in Wonderland story. There's also just something fascinating, almost hypnotic about it. The animation is used to great effect to give us the sort of weird fantasy elements that live action would struggle to pull off. The characters are beautifully drawn - both literally and figuratively. The music is wonderful. It's a film that can be watched by young or old, certainly not a children's film but an ageless, timeless classic.

Lord High Filmquisitor
I owe Spirited Away a rewatch with the subtitles on. I absolutely hate the English language voice actress who plays tthe kid. She's loud and shrill and gives me a headache. Still, it is an undeniably great film all the same.

That said, what you're describing might be a theoretically better way to measure the aggregate tastes of the community, but not necessarily in practice. I think your way might be better if we could ensure that just as many people would do all that, but I don't think they would. Especially assigning points to 100 movies!
Yeah, this idea sounds great in theory but would be absolutely absurd in practice. Good luck getting people to participate in that and good luck getting anybody to volunteer to put in the work to handle those kinds of numbers, spreadsheet or no spreadsheet.

Also, how do you expect individuals to rank the same 100 films each when most if not all of those people haven't seen all 100 films and aren't likely to?

Spirited Away is my favorite animated film of all time. Here's what I wrote about it in my top 101 thread:

Welcome to the bathhouse! I assure you that you won't regret your visit...

It was a warm night in spring, a couple of years ago. I was just starting out as a "serious" movie watcher and I was looking for something "out of the box" (for me). While scrolling through the IMDb top 250 list (which is a place where many young cinephiles begin nowadays, even though they later learn to condemn it), I clicked on this film's title. I had read about the huge acclaim it had, but I didn't really know what to expect. I decided to watch it...

Spirited Away ended up being a film that completely opened my mind for a whole new medium of filmmaking (anime). I was absolutely mesmerized by it. It was one of the most magical film experiences I'd ever had. I immediately considered it as my new favorite animated movie and while the film has been challenged by a few other great films since, it still holds that place today.

Miyazaki's surreal masterpiece about a girl who suddenly - while visiting an old, abandoned amusement park - gets caught up in a strange fantasy world where her parents are changed into pigs and where magical creatures run a giant bathhouse is an absolute wonder to behold. It's one of the few truly original cinematic visions of our postmillennial era. It fills my heart with joy that so many people seem to love and appreciate this film as much as I do. It's one of the most respected and popular animated films ever made (it also won the Oscar) and I hope it will be the number one film on our MoFo Top 100 list.

Just put it on, let yourself be overtaken by its highly imaginative world and interpret the rich adventure of Chichiro in any way you want (every watching experience is different), while enjoying the film's warm atmosphere and sheer beauty...

Stunning piece of cinema.

Up is 2nd, Toy Story 1st. Okay, we're done. Now who is running the 60s countdown? Not someone who has run a countdown before. And not some noob either!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."