Life Aquatic Review

→ in
Tools    

Summary:
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou is an off the wall adventure film about the legendary Steve Zissou (Bill Murray) and his group of aquatic film makers. The beginning of the film sets the story as Steve’s partner is attacked and killed by a rare jaguar shark. Steve announces that he and his team is setting off on a journey to exact revenge on the shark and is joined by Ned (Owen Wilson, who is supposedly Steve’s son). The adventure takes several twists and turns before the group reaches their goal of finding the jaguar shark.

Why You Should See This Movie:
The cast in this film is quite impressive and they all give pretty great performances. Dafoe, Wilson and Blanchett are all asked to perform in roles they are not used to, or famous for and therefore are impressive in their abilities to succeed in this film. Murray is also pretty great as the esteemed leader who fills his performance with dry humor that can be seen as funny, others as weird. The filming and directing is pretty great with interesting filming angles and bizarre sea creatures and music that keep the film from being completely boring.

Why You Shouldn't See This Movie:
Despite what I mentioned above, the film was a bit too weird for me and was very boring. I had quite a hard time staying interested in the movie and found myself struggling to stay awake. I think the hardest part of it was the plot that didn’t ever make much sense to me. The point of the film was outlined in the first 5 minutes of the movie, but the resolution didn’t come until the last 5 minutes. With 2 hours in between filled with odd and seemingly unrelated events, I found myself wondering what the point of the film was.

Conclusion:
The Life Aquatic is a very odd, quirky film that is supported by its incredible cast and interesting effects, but ultimately can’t overcome it’s poor script and story leaving the viewer bored and confused as to the point of the film.
[email protected]

You could have simply added you thoughts to THIS thread.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

guess so .. Just wanted it to be more pronounced and say specificly that it is a review.

GPM
Romantic newbie
THE LIFE AQUATIC is a good movie that I think was missed by the critics.
It shows a unique perspective of how this group of people love the ocean and illustrates how magical it appears to them. The underwater life appears fantasy-like, cartoony sort of. But it's seeing this world through the character's eyes and hearts that makes this movie so endearing. What they'll do to document the sea is amazing. And when Bill Murray's character talks to another guy and says he wishes he breath under water...I really believe him and felt the joy of loving something (the ocean and it's life) so deeply. The scens stuck with me and invaded my dreams in a positive way.