Nil By Mouth

→ in
Tools    

NIL BY MOUTH (1997)

‘Nil By Mouth’ is a harrowing illustration of domestic violence and the many scars, both physical and mental, which are left behind because of it. Gary Oldman, in his directorial debut, canvasses his own childhood, channelling his personal feelings and emotions to depict a life of deprivation, aggression and sorrow.

Selected to compete for the coveted Palme d’Or at the world famous Cannes Film Festival, this small independent picture, its director and unique assemblage of actors have managed to produce a film, albeit of a demoralising subject matter, of extremely high standards.

Raymond (Ray Winstone) lives in a poverty stricken superb of South London. He spends his days drinking with his mates discussing how they are neglected by society and that it’s the faults of others as to why they find themselves in their individual predicaments.

Whilst this might sound familiar to most the difference here is that after a belly full of beer Raymond tends to turn his vocal aggression into violence. Whether it’s his wife Valerie (Kathy Burke), her drug-addicted brother Billy (Charlie Creed-Miles) or someone in the street he happens to cross, he’ll stop at nothing to use this vehemence as an outlet for his rage against the fore-mentioned characters.

As the beatings continue Oldman successfully manages to show Valerie’s ever growing determination to break free of this life under the humiliation and horror she has to deal with on a day-to-day basis. Raymond loves his wife and daughter but is unable to control the very temperament that could see him lose the only thing he has in life, his family.

With stunning performances from Winstone and Burke, who subsequently took the Best Actress award at Cannes, Oldman’s semi-autobiographical account hits home. If it leaves you feeling somewhat distressed by the whole affair then it has succeeded in its purpose, which is to open our eyes to a subject that has existed through time but is widely ignored by people not directly involved with it.

‘Nil By Mouth’ should be praised, not for its ability to portray violence effectively but because of its ability to project realism of the devastation and mortification forced upon both the victim and the punisher. Imprinted on your mind, after watching this picture, are explicit scenes educating those privileged not to have witnessed at first hand the wrath of domestic violence.

Stuart Evans

Thanks for the review, this is a very interesting movie, not one I want to watch again and again, as it feels to real for me

I am having a nervous breakdance
I saw Nil By Mouth a long time ago but I remember that I liked it very much. Thanks for the review.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Awesome film. I just wish Oldman would write more.

Thanks for the review, this is a very interesting movie, not one I want to watch again and again, as it feels to real for me
I agree it is tough to watch, which I suppose is a compliment to the film, Oldman and actors like Winstone and Burke.

How does an often laughably unrealistic actor like Oldman direct such a disgusting gritty, hyperreal film? Maybe Nil By Mouth really is unrealistic- I sure hope so, because it is devastatingly depressing.

Burke is a superb actress and Winstone proved that, at least at this point, he was capable of much, much more than the Brit-gangster drivel he is most associated with.

Originally Posted by stevo3001
How does an often laughably unrealistic actor like Oldman direct such a disgusting gritty, hyperreal film? Maybe Nil By Mouth really is unrealistic- I sure hope so, because it is devastatingly depressing.
Isn't it based on Oldmans life?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by nebbit
Isn't it based on Oldmans life?
I'd say semi-autobiographical (and he wrote it during rehab ).

Calling Oldman 'laughably unrealistic' is a bit daft, In my opinion. Sure, he's been typecast by Hollywood as an over-the-top bad guy a bit too much, but a statement like that implies disregard for earlier, performances in Prick Up Your Ears, Sid & Nancy, The Firm and even JFK.

He may be a bit of a ham these days but Oldman's a working class lad who had a rough upbringing - hence Nil By Mouth. I'm only surprised that he hasn't written or directed again...

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Calling Oldman 'laughably unrealistic' is a bit daft, In my opinion. Sure, he's been typecast by Hollywood as an over-the-top bad guy a bit too much, but a statement like that implies disregard for earlier, performances in Prick Up Your Ears, Sid & Nancy, The Firm and even JFK.
I really liked him in Prick Up Your Ears and Sid and Nancy

I really liked him in Prick Up Your Ears and Sid and Nancy
Me too, capturing Joe Orton and Sid Vicious with such intensity probably marked his card when the big guys came calling unfortunately.

I know you're a Mike Leigh fan, nebbs, and I saw a lot of Leigh in Nil By Mouth. It was missing the sly humour though.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
I know you're a Mike Leigh fan, nebbs, and I saw a lot of Leigh in Nil By Mouth. It was missing the sly humour though.
Yes you are right I have tracked down Naked so I will let you know what i think when I have watched it.

I have tracked down Naked so I will let you know what i think when I have watched it.
Fantastic! Naked is very possibly my film of the 90s and if not, definately in my top 3.

I am the Nightrider!
This was an excellent film, I saw it back in '98 at the Angelika Film Center in Manhatten. Gary Oldman should make another film, would like to see what else he has to offer.

His direction, reminded me a lot of the work of Alex Cox, namely "Sid & Nancy"...

UJ

From what I can tell, Oldman is finding it hard to get work these days, I doubt he has plans for another film, as much as I would love one!