George Romero Set for Land of the Dead

Tools    

George Romero is set to direct Land of the Dead, a horror film that picks up on the zombie saga he hatched with Night of the Living Dead and continued with Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead. Variety says the film, from Romero's own script, will begin production in October in Winnipeg or Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh was the site of shooting for Romero's original 1968 zombie trilogy.

In the film, the zombies having taken over the world and those left alive are confined to a walled-in city that keeps out the corpse corps. Anarchy rules the streets, with the wealthy insulated and living in fortified skyscrapers.

The drama revolves around a group of scavengers who must thwart an attempt to overthrow the city while the dead are evolving from brainless slow-moving creatures into more advanced creatures.
Thanks to comingsoon.net

See The Movie Sequel Mania Thread

now will this be like a sequel to the original 3 with the slow zombies. or a sequel to the dawn of the dead remake with the running zombies. i like them both. im really excited about this. but "Land of the Dead?" i think that is a horrible title. it doesnt connect with the other titles.

I can't wait.

Im basically the expert on this board on zombie movies so I'd be delighted to answer all your questions. The Remake of Dawn of the Dead is NOT, I repeat, NOT connected with the director of the original in any way atall. George A. Romero, one of the foremost masters in the horror genere did not remake Dawn of the Dead nor was he planning to. What happened was the original producer, Richard. P. Rubinstein sold to rights to Universal which passed it on to James Gunn to pen the remake. If any of you have not seen the original, I suggest you do bery much. Only thing is, if you do watch the original, FORGET COMPLETELY about the remake. It's a terrible remake considering the fact the original is known as one of the greatest (if not THE) horror films ever made (Roger Ebert-Chicago Sun Times) and started a new era in the horror genere known as "The Splatter" craze which the original special FX artist (Tom Savini (Friday the 13th, Vampyres, Creepshow 1 and 2, etc.) had so mouch to do with.

As for the Mess of a Consecutiveness, Dawn of the Dead the remake is #2 in three movies (theoretically) and the third is in plans to be remade also. (night of the living dead was remade in 1990 starring Tony Todd and Patricia Tallman and directed by Tom Savini and Written and Co-Produced by George Romero.) Unfortunately, even though Dawn of the dead was "A Remake" it was not a transtional sequal to the already re-made prequel Night of the living dead which I loved. (many people like the original NIGHT better. I think the remake is a better movie and more interesting to watch but the original is definetely scarier [first movie where all the main character's die] and was the first modern horror films so you really can't beat that hahaha).

And as for the new movie, George Romero had been looking to return to the dead for a long time and was very close when he was originally signed as the director of Resident Evil (He never directed it though because they didn't like his script which had more of a comic-video game feel so instead they fired him and ripped off all his movies so badly, it made me want to gag. He intended to make a sequel to his 1985 third-installment "Day of the Dead" which in-spite of it being the most violent movie ever made, was a huge dissapointment and financial failure. (The original script was not used because it was way too violent and consequently large sums of money were pulled from the project by its investors because of its financial risk [It's great though, better than the original "Dawn"]). George started looking for some new investors and found some in the Fox network which agreed to pay him the 10+ mill' he needed for his movie but had trouble raising. Romero wrote the script and originally titled it "Dead-Reckoning" (which I abhored) which is the same title as a an old Humphrey Bogart movie. Fox told him he couldn't use it (thank God) so he continued to redraft it. The script he settled on is very very good. So good, I didn't read most of it because I want it to be a surprise. It's very violent too. What happened was Fox was interfering with the project too much telling him to do this and do that (can you imagine the nerve of those ********?[which happens a lot when the movies budget rises above 10 million or so]) so he decided to keep looking around and is now in talks with John Carpenter to help make his movie. I think Carpenter wants to make the score and cast it as well ofcourse, produce it.
CURRENTLY,Romero is in pre or post-production with another movie called Diamond Dead that is in collaboration with the star of The Rocky Horror Picture Sow. I did not know however that Romero had already made a deal and scheduled to make it already. I know he wanted to make it in Pittsburgh where the majority of the other three were shot and had already scouted out locations but I think he said it may be too expensive (even though the places he wants to use are also owned by the people that own the mall in the original DAWN)
Last but not least, Lets talk style for a minute because someone asked about the zombies. Apprently the trend right now in the zombie-horror-genere is leaning more towards shock value replacing well written scripts. Dawn of the dead new, 28 Days later and House of the Dead are all evident of that. Romero is different because he never used the zombies as the main protaganists in the movie like they did in the remake of Dawn. It was always people that were the protagonists. Just doing this sets up his movies for better writing and social, religious, racial, structural, psychological, tradition commentary etcetera which made his movies more interesting then the other movies which all basically had a huge whole in the middle of the script where the direction of the movie was catch-22. This also evolved into having the zombies run around like mad men which is very hard to believe and phony. Since when can dead people run faster than living! Pure in-your-face shock value.

Also, that's a terrible title, isn't it?

And this is my BOOMstick!
What are you talking about man? The remake of Dawn was absolutely amazing, and the protagonists were the characters, in no way zombies. It's a great movie, it has gore, but not as much to completely gross you out, and it's full of humour and scary scenes. I loved every second of it, the only thing that could have been better was the ending. Also I got a question, how does the original dawn end?

ya thats a good question, i dont seem to member myself

I'm not gonna argue about which movie was better. It's clearly the original for a truckload of reasons.
As for how the original movie ended, the mall was attacked by a large group of pagan bikers surviviing on the road through the crisis. The bikers were tempted by the greed also and invaded the mall. The two remaining men in the movie were able to put up enough resistance to weaken the bikers, killing a lot of them. Eventually, Steve Andrews gets killed and the bikers are eaten alive. Peter and Fran escape the mall through the roof and successfully board the copter to look for a new life and to start all over.

And where did I get all this information from? Years of following Romero's career. That's all.

Did anyone ask where you got it from? You do seem very arrogant and i think some of your talk is wrong for example please show me one zombie in 28 Days Later

And this is my BOOMstick!
Well I jsut finished watching the original Dawn. wow, what a piece of crap. i dont even know where to begin describing everything that sucks about it. the remake is by FAR better. i know you people will flame me but its just my opinion.

"you should only watch the original dawn of the dead at 3:00AM with as many people as possible. WhY you say? Becuase it is that funny." Greg Whemier

Originally Posted by Pyro Tramp
Did anyone ask where you got it from? You do seem very arrogant and i think some of your talk is wrong for example please show me one zombie in 28 Days Later
Where did you really think they stole the idea from? There's so much stuff in that movie borrowed from Romero's, it's almost phoney.

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue
"you should only watch the original dawn of the dead at 3:00AM with as many people as possible. WhY you say? Becuase it is that funny." Greg Whemier
Your opinion. I'm not going to debate on why I think the original is better because debating on a forum is stupid and makes for a nasty headache. But one thing is not debateable, the original had a much much greater impact on horror movies and culture than the remake did. Alas, the remake was just another movie.

I have another tidbit of information. What happened that made the project a go after six years of on hold is the owner of a new movie company called "The New Atmosphere Corp." contacted Romero after watching his commentary on the original Dawn of the Dead where he discussed the new movie, his frustration with Fox and Investors and Producers in general and decided to give Romero the money he was asking for. Romero would've settled for 10 million if he could still maintain full control as Executive Producer of the movie but instead, he's been given a cheque for 15 million (a million more than the movie would have comfortably needed to be made) as well as full creative control of the movie! This is great news indeed and apparently, Romero has already had a cast waiting on standby because they're going to start filimng this October!
In regards to where they'll be filming, I know for a fact much of it will be shot in Pittsburgh in a section of the city that some of his business friends own conjointly (the same people that own/owned [?] the Monroeville mall where DAWN was filmed!) It sounds like a foreshadowing of a great great dead film, if not the best one ever!
I guess I was a little behind with the news because it looked like a while till anything was gonna pop then out of the blue this Romero fan contacted him, giving him everything he was asking for. Homepage of the dead actually classified this as the best news in the history of their site. I for one have been waiting for this movie since I became interested in the Dead movie genere back in middle school. Hooph, that was a long time ago.
Also, I emailed the lengendary Makeup Artist, Tom Savini, an associate and long time friend of Romero's , and he replied my letter surprisingly and said he is definetely doing the FX for it! I'm so excited, I feel like a gitty school boy. To top it off, it's coming to theaters! This looks to be a promising movie indeed.
That's all for now.
Paul

Who's the cast?
And found he was eating his shoe.

I liked all 3 of the originals and enjoyed the remake's, but I do hope if Romero does the 4th film it has some sort of conclusion or direction. The last thing I need is a another endless series of sequals aka halloween or Fri 13th that go on and on. If the dawn remake did anything it boasted George's efforts to do the 4th film which I hope is good. Of course i would like to see great special effects etc. but I would prefer that at some point he concludes the series so it has a ending..do the humans or undead win?