Man On Fire

→ in
Tools    

my name is buck and im here to f**k
Hi would like to start with a brief description.Man on fire is about creasy(DENZEL WASHINGTON)who is an ex government agent who begins to lose desire to live.Until he is hired as a bodyguard for this familys daughter pita(DAKOTA FANNING).As soon as he gets to open up to her she gets kidnapped.from this point on the movie is nonstop revenge,
but I can honestly say this film holds its on against any other revenge movie out this summer.I wouldn't call myself a denzel fan,you could even say I
dislike him,but in this film he makes you notice what kind of actor he really is,a damn good one.That being said the only problem was the character background history which never really gives you enough info.
3 1/2 OF 5

Cool, I wanna check out this movie. Not a huge fan of Denzel, but I liked him in Training Day and the one set in a sumberine, Who's name totally escapes me. Thanks.

The 14 Year old Wonder
i LoVED this movie so much. I loved every minute of it. It had a good hour of solid story then the next hour focused on revenge. Some ppl complained of the shaky camera during action sequnces but i loved the style of it. I liked it ove Kill Bill 2 by JUST a little coz of the setup 5/5

This is the last good movie Ive seen. It really doesnt hold back on the violence and Denzel Washington, Christopher Walken, and Micky Rourke are at the top of their games. The last half of the film reminds me of the end of Scarface.

the teenage movie critic
I have yet to see this and it is not in theaters anymore. I guess I have to wait for it to come out on DVD.

The only thing about this movie I didn't like was the reason they gave as to why they kept the girl after the fact. I just didn't buy it.

And this is my BOOMstick!
After my faith in kids being actors had been crushed by those two brats in Spy Kids, Dakota Fanning's performance in Man on Fire was really a pleasent thing to see. For a little girl, her acting was terrific. She didn't try to show off or act like a stuck up little brat (what most child actors do these days), her performance was believable, solid, and outstanding for someone her age. I'm still trying to decide who was better, her in Man on Fire or Haley Joel Osment's in A.I. (Artificial Intelligence)

I really feel that all of films that Dakota Fanning has been in was truly good; I even liked her in The Cat in the Hat. The ending of the movie was truly moving.

A truly awful film, period.

Trust me, this is one let down movie that you want to avoid and this comes from one huge Denzel Washington fan. The frustrating part is that it’s 1/3 of a GREAT film. The first part of this movie does an exceptional job of setting up the characters and the new relationship between Creasy and the girl he’s paid to protect. The trailers to this movie all mention that she is kidnapped. So, I’m giving nothing away when I say that the film degenerates into an almost unwatchable mess after she’s kidnapped. Whatever the director was trying to accomplish, all he succeeds in doing is making the audience literally nauseous. Rapid, frantic and choppy cuts follow for the next half-hour as Creasy tracks down the perpetrators. These cuts are so unnatural and nauseating that all they do is to jolt you out of the story. I’m sure the director thought that this unsettling way to present the story signified a change in Creasy’s character and signified that a different movie was to follow. Well, he was right. The movie that followed was complete and unsatisfying crap. The result of which is a depressing ending that ruins even the quality first forty minutes of the movie.

Originally Posted by yellowjacket1
I’m sure the director thought that this unsettling way to present the story signified a change in Creasy’s character and signified that a different movie was to follow. Well, he was right. The movie that followed was complete and unsatisfying crap. The result of which is a depressing ending that ruins even the quality first forty minutes of the movie.
His character only reverted back to the way he used to be before he was a depressed suicidal alcoholic. The kidnapping of the little girl who he had gotten close to, jolted him back to his former self.

motivationally deficient
Originally Posted by yellowjacket1
A truly awful film, period.

Trust me, this is one let down movie that you want to avoid and this comes from one huge Denzel Washington fan. The frustrating part is that it’s 1/3 of a GREAT film. The first part of this movie does an exceptional job of setting up the characters and the new relationship between Creasy and the girl he’s paid to protect. The trailers to this movie all mention that she is kidnapped. So, I’m giving nothing away when I say that the film degenerates into an almost unwatchable mess after she’s kidnapped. Whatever the director was trying to accomplish, all he succeeds in doing is making the audience literally nauseous. Rapid, frantic and choppy cuts follow for the next half-hour as Creasy tracks down the perpetrators. These cuts are so unnatural and nauseating that all they do is to jolt you out of the story. I’m sure the director thought that this unsettling way to present the story signified a change in Creasy’s character and signified that a different movie was to follow. Well, he was right. The movie that followed was complete and unsatisfying crap. The result of which is a depressing ending that ruins even the quality first forty minutes of the movie.
i agree yellow jacket, i sat through alexander and i found this incredibly boring. as soon as the girl is kidnapped i thought the movie would pick up, but no. however the explosives up his arse was a good idea.

I thought it was an average flick... Nothing really stood out, but I wouldn't call it awful. It did overstay it's welcome though... something that contributed to it's averageness.

My Top 100 favorite movies.

Movie Forums Member
This is why i dislike this movie.
It's probably one of the most OVERRATED movies by people. I'm glad the critics did not like the movie because i agree with them about almost every aspect about the film. Though i do agree the movie had great acting, great actors and loveable charachters. The 1st 60 minutes was Great but then after she got kidnapped, thats when it fell apart.
Tony Scott also has a bad habit of using the same annoying idiotic Flashy technique he keeps on using and he uses it every single time a dramatic thing happens. It's funny since i find that technique used in some commercials and it's a Cheap unartistic way to present something.

Also Creasy's best friend says he is going to paint his masterpiece. his friend was telling the reporters like he is some kind of Poetic killer? no freaking way! he is no Poetic Killer and there is nothing poetic about Creasy.
If you want a good poetic Killer watch Leon the Proffesional or the infamous and Operatic and poetic movie The Killer directed by john woo also i do agree with people who say John Woo's american movies suck cause they DO!

also the one bullet thing with the father was extremely cliched, good but just way too obvious and cliched and a very typical sequence that many movies have done before.

His friend doesn't do anything after he makes that poetic speach about Creasy. I'm not sure cause i haven't watched it in a while but i think thats how i remembered it. But anyways i do know for a fact that He dissapears in the middle of the movie and never appears again. What happened to this great Friendship charachter developement they both had together? They could of done so much better with his friends charachter.

The ending was the worst part in the whole entire movie. The Symbolism is forced. Creasy should not have died in the car with the enemy and why the hell would the villains even want a dead body since they obviously know he is going to die.

It would of been much more Symbolic if Creasy died with the girl.

There are just so many things wrong with the film. But i do think most people enjoy a movie like this because they haven't watched better Killer/Revenge flicks. and Denzel is without a doubt one of the coolest actors.

KBo
I love both Denzel and Dakota Fanning, but I must say this seemed like one of the longest movies I've ever sat through. It was confusing, and therefore exasperating after a while.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Great performance by Denzel, good performance by Dakota Fanning (too many Osmentisms though, but she's only little). Awful, flashy direction by Tony Scott.

Eh. So-so film stuff in this thing. I'm surprised no one has mentioned that this is a remake of a 1987 film of the same name starring Scott Glenn. If I'm remembering correctly, I didn't care for it any better.

This movie is my new favorite movie..seriously, it's so good! I can't wait to own it.

I have nothing against Denzel, and the entire movie was worth watching, but I didn't like what happen to him in the end. Recommended

Critics hated this, audiences apparently love it, I fall somewhere right in the middle. On the plus-side, the film tries to develop its characters, something most action films avoid, Denzel and Dakota give admirable performances (and Walken was the man in his few scenes), and the film had a few memorable sequences. But at the same time, I found the film pretty annoying. It was melodramatic, slow-moving, and Tony Scott's direction was far too jumpy and flashy, like Michael Bay with too much caffeine. I just wanted the camera to chill out. By the time it was over I was more relieved than sad because it was just too long. This wasn't a bad film, but with some snipping and a more subtle and laid-back director, this could've been quite good.
2.5/4