The Sands of Iwo Jima

Tools    

Over 40 years ago, I saw an uncut version of The Sands of Iwo Jima -- which included John Wayne saying something along the lines of "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."

Is anyone aware of any release on VHS or DVD which is truly 109 minutes in length (and doesn't merely claim that it is that long)?

Over 40 years ago, I saw an uncut version of The Sands of Iwo Jima -- which included John Wayne saying something along the lines of "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."

Is anyone aware of any release on VHS or DVD which is truly 109 minutes in length (and doesn't merely claim that it is that long)?
I have The Sands of Iwo Jima, it's an OliveFilms release...it's 1:49:55 or 109 minutes and 55 seconds, the 55 seconds is for the OliveFilms graphics. I do remember the quote "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." but don't remember if it's in my copy of the movie. If you knew the time index when that is said I could watch a part of my movie and see if Wayne says it or not.

I watched that movie recently, but I didn't hear that line. I would have remembered if I had since it is very similar to a line from The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973). The copy I own is listed as having a runtime of 1 hour and 40 minutes. There is version that has a runtime of 1 hour and 49 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/Sands-Iwo-Jim.../dp/B00MGBS6VG

And there is also a Region 2 version that is listed as having a runtime of 2 hours.

https://www.amazon.com/Sands-Iwo-Jim.../dp/B000FQ4EYM

I'm not saying you're wrong about that quote being in Sands of Iwo Jima, but someone wrote an article about that exact confusion.

Snopes article on that quote

Someone even made a meme with that same quote attributed to the movie.

I'm not saying you're wrong about that quote being in Sands of Iwo Jima, but someone wrote an article about that exact confusion.

Snopes article on that quote

Someone even made a meme with that same quote attributed to the movie.
Who are you going to believe, somebody writing on Snopes or the U.S. Marine Corps? Because the latter firmly believes the line is from the Sands of Iwo Jima and has done so for decades.

Here is an example from an official publication from 1995 https://www.google.ca/books/edition/...sec=frontcover

In his 1986 biography of Marine sniper Carlos Hathcock, Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills, Charles W. Henderson -- then himself a serving Marine -- makes reference to the line in connection to events which occurred in 1966.

Trust me: just because somebody has written something appearing on the Interwebs, it doesn't necessarily mean its true.

I have The Sands of Iwo Jima, it's an OliveFilms release...it's 1:49:55 or 109 minutes and 55 seconds, the 55 seconds is for the OliveFilms graphics. I do remember the quote "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." but don't remember if it's in my copy of the movie. If you knew the time index when that is said I could watch a part of my movie and see if Wayne says it or not.
Thanks for the offer, but I can't remember when it was said, other than it was at a training location and not onboard ship or in combat. (And obviously when Sergeant Stryker was in conflict with one of his men.)

I will proceed with obtaining a copy of the Olive Films version. Thanks for your response; it is very much appreciated.

Thanks for the offer, but I can't remember when it was said, other than it was at a training location and not onboard ship or in combat. (And obviously when Sergeant Stryker was in conflict with one of his men.)

I will proceed with obtaining a copy of the Olive Films version. Thanks for your response; it is very much appreciated.
Let us know if it has the quote or not. I might decide to replace my copy.

The Snopes article was quite well researched. The Marine Corps (and other armed services) often have legends and traditions that are passed along and lose connection with the actual history they came from. Nobody seems to be able to put forward ANY evidence that John Wayne ever said "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid", whether in Sands of Iwo Jima, another movie, or in some other context like an interview. This was probably attributed to him because it sounds like something he would have said. But the line does indeed occur in the 1973 film The Friends of Eddie Coyle, as ChunkyMonkey pointed out above, and this seems to be where it originally came from. John Wayne was not in that movie.
The problem of quotes being misattributed to famous people existed long before the Internet, but the Internet has greatly exacerbated it.