The History of the Three Musketeers in film

Tools    

The Three Musketeers has been around the block a few hundred times and still going. I thought I would slap together a quick overview of the history of this famous story in film.

What IMDb search finds:

(1914) Earl Talbot (lost film)
(1916) Orrin Johnson, Doris Dalton
(1921) Douglas Fairbanks
(1933) Jack Mulhall, Raymond Hatton
(1935) Walter Abel, Paul Lukas
(1942) Cantiflas, Angel Garasa
(1948) Lana Turner, Gene Kelly
(1953) Georges Marchal, Yvonne Sanson
(1973) Oliver Reed, Raquel Welch
(1993) Charlie Sheen, Kiefer Sutherland
(2011) Logan Lerman, Matthew Macfadyen
(2023) Francois Civil, Vincent Cassel

Zorro and the Three Musketeers (1963) Gordon Scott, Jose Greci

A wikipedia search finds:

An artical on the history of the movie to promote the 2011 release:
https://www.thenationalnews.com/arts...films-1.562380

The only one I'm sure that I saw was the 1993 version, which was very popular along with Man in the Iron Mask, Interview with the Vampire and Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. There was a niche there where all these and more finely fit into and they were often shown together on cable TV and payperview.

I might have seen one of the older ones but cant be sure of which that was if I did.

What ones have you seen? What 3 Musketeers movie is the best? I'm thinking about seeing the Douglas Fairbanks version.

I'm not a huge reader, but after reading The Count of Monte Cristo, I got interested in the works of Alexandre Dumas, so I took on reading the D'Artagnan romances.

I'm proud to say I read all the books (it was over the course of the early 2000's) which includes the full course of the Three Musketeers and The Man in the Iron Mask.

I've seen most (but not all) of the movies. As a favorite, I still lean toward the series that began in 1973 (starring Michael York as D'Artagnan) as being both truest to the source and most entertaining.

(Although, I still protest that, although Frank Finlay was a great actor, they couldn't find someone other than a short, thin guy to play Porthos - whose character is based on the fact that he's a really big, fat guy?)

I've seen most (but not all) of the movies. As a favorite, I still lean toward the series that began in 1973 (starring Michael York as D'Artagnan) as being both truest to the source and most entertaining.
I found this on IMDb, but it says its a movie:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072281...flmg_t_145_act

I will check this out along with the new 2023 version and the Douglas Fairbanks version but it really isn't feasible to see them all right now. Besides, that might screw my head up.