Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Tools    

In the Beginning...
This film has really got me excited. It's a Roland Emmerich film (Independence Day and Stargate, which were alright, I guess), and it looks VERY stylish. It's about the invasion of 1940's Earth by...well, aliens I guess, but it adopts the old 40's serial style a-la War of the Worlds and The Day the Earth Stood Still (although it is not in black-and-white, but a sun-bleached drab color scheme). Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Giovanni Ribisi, and Angelina Jolie are starring in what looks like a fun and gorgeous adventure flick.

Check out the trailer here.

I am looking forward to seeing this breathtaking masterpiece of art. This film entices my eyes every step of the way. Spectaclar looking.

Set in New York City circa 1939, the film centers on a reporter who notices that the world's scientists are disappearing. Teamed with a skilled pilot and an adventurous colleague, it's up to her to thwart the plans of a mad scientist bent on world domination
From imdb )

Originally Posted by Sleezy
It's about the invasion of 1940's Earth by...well, aliens I guess.
Aliens? Well...If you have seen the trailer and etc... they are robots. A mad scientist (or something of the kind) controls them and Sky Captain must save the world

I read that the entire movie is CGI with exception of the actors. It is the first of its kind.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by jrs
Aliens? Well...If you have seen the trailer and etc... they are robots. A mad scientist (or something of the kind) controls them and Sky Captain must save the world
Well, I didn't know much about the film story concept, and since most (if not all) of Emmerich's films have incorporated aliens in some way, and since War of the Worlds and the like involved aliens driving robots, I figured they were aliens (but I wasn't sure). Thanks for clearing that up.

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I read that the entire movie is CGI with exception of the actors. It is the first of its kind.
Really? I wonder how expensive that would be? Anyway, I love the high-resolution black and white look of the whole thing. Or whatever it is. I was never a fan of Jude Law, but I'm starting to accept him. But Angelina Jolie is out of my mind. The only reason I haven't shot her yet is because her dad is Jon Voight. Can you say. . .Deliverance? (good stuff)
And found he was eating his shoe.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
But Angelina Jolie is out of my mind. The only reason I haven't shot her yet is because her dad is Jon Voight.
I've read that she'll only be a cameo in this one. The article is here.

And I was wrong: Roland Emmerich is not the director (he's doing The Day After Tomorrow, although Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow smells like his work, and even uses pieces both the Stargate and ID4 musical scores...very confusing). The director is Kerry Conran, and this is his/her directorial debut.

Originally Posted by jrs
I am looking forward to seeing this breathtaking masterpiece of art.
I like that you're not setting your expectations too high.

Is this better?

"I am hoping this movie doesn't suck big, green, infested, donkey balls like most Hollywood CGI dependent movies do."

(I AM LOOKING FORWARD THO)

Originally Posted by Sleezy
I've read that she'll only be a cameo in this one.
THANK GOD! I'm relieved now. Now I don't have to relieve a great actor of his daughter. (incase you haven't noticed, I'm a Jon Voight fan)

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Yeah I read that too. The movie looks okay, but I'm intrigued in that aspect.

I think it looks like it might be good... but these types of movies usually do suck. The fact that it's CGI dependent is kind of annoying, and I usually hate movies with tons of CGI. Anyway, I like Angelina Jolie, whereas I can't stand Jude Law. I think it kind of sucks that Jolie only has 5-15 min. cameo.

In the Beginning...
Well, if this one is stylish in the same way Kill Bill: Volume One (read: fresh and original), that means it will be fun to watch. And if the story is decent, then it shouldn't suck.

Here's hoping.

I ate all your bees.
Im not sure about this film, I think there is a high chance it will be an Uber Flop. Im not a big fan of CGI fests and the premise looks a bit lame. Hopefully I will be proved wrong!

Originally Posted by Sidewinder
I think there is a high chance it will be an Uber Flop...... the premise looks a bit lame. Hopefully I will be proved wrong!
Don't count your eggs before they hatch .

This is what I understand about the movie --

Kerry Cornan is a CalArts graduate who created software which allows him to shoot a whole movie on bluescreens and then later fill it in with background images which he basically had done. He showed the movie to some execs and they were so impressed, they hired some of the best talent in Hollywood and this has become Paramounts blockbuster movie for the summer season -- a rare feat for a first time director.

The trailer is pretty cool, and you can tell that Kerry Cornan is a movie fanatic.