Referencing Tarantino

Tools    

A novel adaptation.
In lieu of the recent release of the heavily borrowed Kill Bill, let's put things on the table, get 'em out in the open, and list some of those subtle references made in the films of Quentin Tarantino.

I'll start us off:

Reservoir Dogs was pretty damned similar to Kubrick's The Killing. It surprised me that Tarantino was so thoroughly lauded for a unique narrative structure because of it.

From Dusk til Dawn's beginning was as good as anything he's done, and contains the best line from the film, a line filched from The Wild Bunch. Because "What's in Mexico?" Well, "Mexicans.

The infamous drug resuscitation scene in Pulp Fiction is, as I'm sure most of us now know, word for word from Scorsese's American Boy.

We need more, and the name of his production company doesn't count.

I must become Caligari..!
Reservoir Dogs (1992) - Rashômon (1950), City on Fire (1987)

Originally Posted by Herod
The Wild Bunch
I don't wanna do it, but I'll turn this ****in' store into the Wild Bunch if I even think you're ****in' with me.

It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

I'm not old, you're just 12.
"If you shoot me in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.."

Paraphrased from the great Muhammed Ali.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Lets put a smile on that block
TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC - Monkey Punch i love your avatar! Thats sid and olly or whatever their name is on MTV right? We dont get them on MTV UK but when ever im in the states me and my brother watch them and they just crack us up.
Who ever knew two socks could be so funny?

A novel adaptation.
Although I've been made aware of the MPAA suggesting Tarantino make the scene in black and white, the way the House of the Blue Leaves was shot in Kill Bill seemed reminiscent of the "mind fight" in Hero.

The colors-for-names thing in Dogs was filched from a seventies heist movie called The Taking Of Pelham, 1 2 3, .

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally Posted by blibblobblib
TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC - Monkey Punch i love your avatar! Thats sid and olly or whatever their name is on MTV right? We dont get them on MTV UK but when ever im in the states me and my brother watch them and they just crack us up.
Who ever knew two socks could be so funny?
Yeah, Sifl and Olly! I loved that show, but they don't run it anymore over here....very sad. I have a few eps on tape, though, and Liam Lynch, who played Olly has a comedy/music CD out (Fake Songs) that is hilarious.

Let's not get confuse, Tarantino is a good director, and yes of course he had his big japanese influence,he mix japanese narrative with american violence . What do you think is Natural Born Killers?, ****ing good storie. In his last movie Kill Bill and is full japanese style with a little of Tarantino's violence. He is good , of course he is not one of the best, but has done good movies.

The Bear with the Funk
well you know any director can see a movie, and see a good idea and use it in his/her movie, but a great director can use what they see from other films and turn it into a great piece of art (yeah i said art, c'mon). If Tarantino wasnt a great director, would we even bother talking about him and this subject right now?

Hi
Way to many Kill Bil lreferences, I'll add a couple

Close up on the bride's eyes theme is from Five Fingers of Death , I've also heard its a theme from a show called Ironside.

Red Apple Cigarettes ad in the Airport is a reference to Pulp Fiction, i think butch has those..