Movies and/or actors that SHOULD have won an Oscar.

Tools    

A discussion on another thread about comedic roles sparked a discussion by @Loner on how The Pawnbroker was stiffed for the Oscar by Catballou. I agree, and it got me thinking about a pet peeve of mine. Harrison Ford has never won an Oscar!!!!!!! (Grrrrrrrrrrr) He was nominated for his excellent portrayal if an honest policeman caught between two worlds in Witness, but lost to some trifle about a Spiderhero or such that no one even remembers anymore (certainly not ME anyways)

Harrison Ford lost to an arachnid?!?!?

With all his gifted performances, from Indy to Han, but notably in a whole range of roles in movies as well crafted and different as: Random Hearts, Sabrina,
K 19. , What Lies Beneath, 6 Days 7 Nights, A Clear and Present Danger, Hollywood Homicide, Firewall, Regarding Henry, etc etc et al- not ONE Oscar?!!!!!

I suppose the Academy may someday deign to give this talented and audience pleasing actor some sort of overdue honor for overall work- hope they don't wait till he's 90!

Well you are welcome to join the disgruntled rant here, with your favorite actors, movies, directors, etc who have been unjustifiably snubbed.

Best Picture wise, the 90s had three consecutive snubs - Fargo should have won Best Picture over The English Patient, LA Confidential should have won over Titantic, and Saving Private Ryan should have won over Shakespeare in Love.

Agree on all three counts. Or, at least, agree that those three films are better than the three they lost to.
I'm very unimpressed by this year's winner as well.

Granted, I have yet to see all this year's nominees, but of those I have seen, Three Billboards and Phantom Thread were better than Shape of Water by leaps and bounds.

Agree on all three counts. Or, at least, agree that those three films are better than the three they lost to.
Agree with your overall assessment Toda, and FIERCELY agree about Fargo - a timeless classic. The English Patient just about put the audience in a coma.

Sorry about the typo Yoda ( NOT toda) I 've come to think of my omnipresent typos as that crack in a Japanese vase that makes the overall object of art more beautiful.

Well if you'll agree to fall for that, so will I

I'm very unimpressed by this year's winner as well.

Granted, I have yet to see all this year's nominees, but of those I have seen, Three Billboards and Phantom Thread were better than Shape of Water by leaps and bounds.

Yup.

This might just do nobody any good.
Titanic is a well deserved Best Picture. Stop hating.
Billy Zane - Best Supporting Actor 1997.

Titanic is a well deserved Best Picture. Stop hating.
No hate. I've actually defended Titanic in the past. It's not a bad movie. In fact, the second half is excellent.

It's just that I have a very high opinion of LA Confidential.

It's ALMOST ALMOST as good as Chinatown (not quite) another movie I have an extremely high regard for.

Best Picture wise, the 90s had three consecutive snubs - Fargo should have won Best Picture over The English Patient, LA Confidential should have won over Titantic, and Saving Private Ryan should have won over Shakespeare in Love.
I agree with Fargo and Saving Private Ryan deserving to win Best Picture.

I don't agree with L.A. Confidential, though. Titanic deserved it's award. Just because it was the biggest grossing movie ever made at the time didn't make it an over-hyped film. Besides, I never really liked L.A. Confidential that much.

Now if you were going to say Pulp Fiction or The Shawshank Redemption deserving to win over Forrest Gump, that would have been debatable and understandable. Let's face it, 1994 was an exceptional year in film.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Good one! Jake should definitely have won Best Actor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't even think he was nominated, which is a damn joke.
Indeed, he wasn't. There were some people saying he'd be nominated for Stronger, and I joked "Not a chance. He didn't amputate his legs for the role".

No hate. I've actually defended Titanic in the past. It's not a bad movie. In fact, the second half is excellent.

It's just that I have a very high opinion of LA Confidential.

It's ALMOST ALMOST as good as Chinatown (not quite) another movie I have an extremely high regard for.

I watched LA Confidential long time ago, now I do not remember a single plot of that movie.

This kinda speaks for the quality of a movie. A true classic will always iron on your brain even after one single watch. This is not saying LA Confidential is a bad movie though.

I agree with Fargo and Saving Private Ryan deserving to win Best Picture.

I don't agree with L.A. Confidential, though. Titanic deserved it's award. Just because it was the biggest grossing movie ever made at the time didn't make it an over-hyped film. Besides, I never really liked L.A. Confidential that much.

Now if you were going to say Pulp Fiction or The Shawshank Redemption deserving to win over Forrest Gump, that would have been debatable and understandable. Let's face it, 1994 was an exceptional year in film.
Pulp and Shawshank definitely deserved Best Picture over Gump.

We'll just have to disagree on LA Confidential.