Movies with Aliens that remind of classical myths (Greece, Rome)

Tools    

Hi! I'm Razel and I'm from Poland. For my bachelor degree, I've written a thesis concerning movies with aliens in them. My professor asked me a question, ofr which I cannot seem to find an answer: are there any movies with aliens in them, that remind me of any classical myths, from Ancient Greece, Rome or Egypt? It doesn't have to be a full story, just a theme in the background. My professor gave me the example of Alien (1979) which resembles faintly the myth of Theseus and the minotaur. Can you guys give me any other examples?

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
not sure if this is what your looking for...........

Amazons[edit]
La Regina delle Amazzoni(1960) a.k.a. Colossus and the Amazon Queen
Le Gladiatrici (1963)
Le Amazzoni - donne d'amore e di guerra (1973)
The Amazons (1973)
Dschungelmädchen für zwei Halunken (1974)
Gold of the Amazon Women (1979) (TV)
Hercules and the Amazon Women (1994) (TV)
Wonder Woman (2009)
Wonder Woman (2017)
Centaurs[edit]
Fantasia (1940): The Pastoral Symphony segment of the film features centaurs courting Centaurides/"centaurettes".
Hercules[edit]
Main article: Italian Hercules film series (1957-1965)
The complete Italian Hercules series (in chronological order)[1]

The films are listed below by their American release titles, and the titles in parentheses are the original Italian titles.

Hercules (Le Fatiche di Ercole/ The Labors of Hercules, 1958) starring Steve Reeves
Hercules Unchained (Ercole e la regina di Lidia/ Hercules and the Queen of Lydia, 1959) starring Steve Reeves
Goliath and the Dragon (La Vendetta di Ercole/ The Revenge of Hercules, 1960) (this Hercules film had its title changed to "Goliath" when it was distributed in the USA for some reason)
Hercules Vs The Hydra (Gli Amori di Ercole/ The Loves of Hercules, 1960) co-starring Jayne Mansfield
Hercules and the Captive Women (Ercole alla conquista di Atlantide/ Hercules at the Conquest of Atlantis, a.k.a. Hercules and the Haunted Women) 1961
Hercules in the Haunted World (Ercole al centro della terra/ Hercules at the Center of the Earth) 1961 (directed by Mario Bava)
Hercules in the Vale of Woe (Maciste contro Ercole nella valle dei guai/ Maciste Vs. Hercules in the Vale of Woe) 1961 (this was made as a semi-comedy/ satire on peplums)
Ulysses Vs. The Son of Hercules (Ulisse contro Ercole/ Ulysses Vs. Hercules) 1962
The Fury of Hercules (La Furia di Ercole/ The Fury of Hercules, a.k.a. The Fury of Samson) 1962
Hercules, Samson and Ulysses (Ercole sfida Sansone/ Hercules Challenges Samson) 1963
Hercules Vs. the Moloch (Ercole contro Molock/ Hercules Vs. Moloch, a.k.a. The Conquest of Mycene) 1963
Son of Hercules in the Land of Darkness (Ercole l'invincibile/ Hercules, the Invincible) 1964 (this was originally a Hercules film that was retitled to "Son of Hercules" so that it could be included in the "Sons of Hercules" TV syndication package)
Hercules Vs. The Giant Warrior (il Trionfo di Ercole/ The Triumph of Hercules, a.k.a. Hercules and the Ten Avengers) 1964
Hercules Against Rome (Ercole contro Roma, 1964)
Hercules Against the Sons of the Sun (Ercole contro i figli del sole, 1964)
Hercules and the Tyrants of Babylon (Ercole contro i tiranni di Babilonia, 1964)
Samson and the Mighty Challenge (Ercole, Sansone, Maciste e Ursus, gli invincibili, a.k.a. Combate dei Gigantes) 1964 (this was more of a comedy/ satire on peplums & featured Hercules prominently in the plot)
Hercules and the Princess of Troy (no Italian title, a.k.a. "Hercules vs. the Sea Monster", 1965) (this 48-minute Italian/U.S. co-production was made as a pilot for a Charles Band-produced TV series that never materialized)
Hercules, the Avenger (Sfida dei giganti/ Challenge of the Giants, 1965) a cheaply made-for-TV quickie that consisted mostly of re-edited stock footage from 2 earlier Italian Hercules films, "Ercole al centro della terra" and "Ercole alla conquista di Atlantide").
Other Hercules-related films[edit]
The Three Stooges Meet Hercules (1962) United States (comedy)
Hercules in New York (1970) United States (a.k.a. "Hercules Goes Bananas", starring Arnold Schwarzenegger)
Hercules (1983) Italy, United States (starring Lou Ferrigno)
Le Avventure dell'incredibile Ercole (1985) Italy, United States (a.k.a. Hercules 2, starring Lou Ferrigno)
Hercules and the Amazon Women (1994) United States - TV movie
Hercules and the Circle of Fire (1994) United States - TV movie
Hercules and the Lost Kingdom (1994) United States - TV movie
Hercules in the Underworld (1994) United States - TV movie
Hercules in the Maze of the Minotaur (1994) United States - TV movie
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (1995–99) United States - TV series
Xena: Warrior Princess (1995–2001) - TV series (Spinoff of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys)
Hercules (1997) United States - animated (Walt Disney)
The Amazing Feats of Young Hercules (1997) United States - animated, direct to video
Young Hercules (1998) United States - direct to video
Young Hercules (1998–99) United States - TV series
Hercules and Xena - The Animated Movie: The Battle for Mount Olympus (1998) United States - animated, straight to video
Himcules (1998–99) - animated TV series
Hercules (2005) - TV miniseries
The Legend of Hercules (2014) United States
Hercules (2014) United States
Sons of Hercules[edit]
Sons of Hercules was a syndicated television show that aired in the United States of America in the 1960s. The series repackaged 14 Italian sword-and-sandal films by giving them a memorable theme song and a standard intro relating the lead character in each film to the Greek demigod Hercules any way they could. The first title listed for each film was its American television title, followed by the original Italian title in parentheses:

Mole Men versus the Son of Hercules (Maciste, The Strongest Man in the World) starring Mark Forest as Maciste
The Terror of Rome versus the Son of Hercules (Maciste, Gladiator of Sparta) starring Mark Forest as Maciste
Fire Monsters Against The Son Of Hercules (Maciste Vs. The Monsters) starring Reg Lewis as Maciste
Triumph Of The Son Of Hercules (The Triumph Of Maciste) starring Kirk Morris as Maciste
Son Of Hercules In The Land Of Darkness (Hercules The Invincible) starring Dan Vadis as Hercules
Ulysses Vs. The Son Of Hercules (Ulysses Against Hercules) starring Mike Lane as Hercules
Son Of Hercules In The Land Of Fire (Ursus In The Land Of Fire) starring Ed Fury as Ursus
Ursus, Son Of Hercules (a.k.a. Ursus, a.k.a. Mighty Ursus) starring Ed Fury as Ursus
The Tyrant Of Lydia Vs. The Son Of Hercules (Goliath and the Rebel Slave) starring Gordon Scott as Goliath
Messalina Against the Son Of Hercules (The Last Gladiator) starring Richard Harrison as Glaucus
Devil Of The Desert Vs. The Son Of Hercules (Anthar The Invincible) starring Kirk Morris as Anthar
Medusa Vs. The Son Of Hercules (Perseus The Invincible) starring Richard Harrison as Perseus
Beast Of Babylon Versus The Son Of Hercules (Hero Of Babylon) starring Gordon Scott as Prince Nippur
Venus Against The Son Of Hercules (Mars, God Of War) starring Roger Browne as Mars
Homer and Troy[edit]
L'Île de Calypso: Ulysse et le géant Polyphème (1905)
Odissea (1911)
Helena (1924)
Ulysses (1955)
Helen of Troy (1956)
La Guerra di Troia (1961) Italy
La Leggenda di Enea (1961) Italy
Electra (1962 film) Greece
L'Odissea (1968) Italy - TV mini-series
Eneide (1971) Yugoslavia/Italy - TV miniseries
The Trojan Women (1971 film) UK, USA, Greece
The Return of Ulysses to His Homeland (1973) UK - TV movie
Iphigenia (1977 film) Greece - film based upon Euripides' play Iphigenia at Aulis
Uliisses (1982) Germany
Les Troyens (1984) United States - TV movie
Falling Down (1993) United States
Il ritorno d'Ulisse in patria (1985) Austria - TV filmed version of the opera
Dido & Aeneas (1995) UK - TV movie
Dido and Aeneas (1995) Canada - filmed version of the opera
The Odyssey (1997)
Hercules (1997)
The Animated Odyssey (2000) United States - animated TV movie
O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000) - based on The Odyssey
Helen of Troy (2003)
L'Odyssée (2003) Canada - TV movie
Troy (2004)
Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief (2010)
Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Sea of Monsters (2013)
Jason and the Argonauts[edit]
Hercules (Le Fatiche di Ercole/ The Labors of Hercules, 1958) starring Steve Reeves
Jason and the Argonauts (1963) United States
Jason and the Argonauts (2000) United States - TV mini-series
The Spirit (2008) United States - features the Golden Fleece and the blood of Heracles.
Oedipus[edit]
The Man Who Smiles (1937)
Oedipus Rex (1957)
Antigone (1961)
Oedipus Rex (1967)
Oedipus the King (1968)
Funeral Parade of Roses (1969)
Night Warning (1982)
Edipo Alcalde (1996)
Orpheus[edit]
Orphée (1949) France
Black Orpheus (1959) Brazil
Evrydiki BA 2O37 (1975) Greece
Orfeu (1999) Brazil
Orpheus (2005)
Perseus[edit]
Perseo l'invincibile (1963) (a.k.a. Medusa Vs The Son of Hercules)
Clash of the Titans (1981)
Clash of the Titans (2010)
Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief (2010)
Wrath of the Titans (2012)
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters (2013)
Pygmalion[edit]
Pygmalion (1937)
Mannequin (1987)
Mighty Aphrodite (1995)
Romulus and Remus[edit]
Romolo e Remo: a 1961 film starring Steve Reeves and Gordon Scott as the two brothers.
The Rape of the Sabine Women: a 1962 film starring Wolf Ruvinskis as Romulus.
Roman Kingdom[edit]
Duel of Champions: 1961 film about the Roman legend of the Horatii
Sirens[edit]
My Little Pony: Equestria Girls – Rainbow Rocks: 2014 film, featuring the sirens of Greco-Roman mythology in a modern setting.
Theseus and the Minotaur of Crete[edit]
Minotaur, the Wild Beast of Crete, a 1960 Italian film starring Bob Mathias, loosely based on the mythological story
Minotaur, a 2006 horror film
Immortals (2011)
The Titans[edit]
Arrivano i titani, a 1962 Italian comedy including the mythological characters Cadmus and the Titans, starring Giuliano Gemma and Pedro Armendáriz.
Ursus[edit]
Ursus is a super-human pseudo-Biblical/Roman character who is the hero in a series of Italian films made in the 1960s. There were a total of 9 Italian sword-and-sandal films that featured Ursus as the main character, as follows:

Ursus (a.k.a. Mighty Ursus, a.k.a. Ursus, Son of Hercules) 1961 (starring Ed Fury)
La Vendetta di Ursus (The Revenge of Ursus) 1961 (starring Samson Burke)
Ursus Nella Valle dei Leoni (Ursus in the Valley of the Lions, a.k.a. Valley of the Lions) 1961 (starring Ed Fury)
Ursus e la Ragazza Tartara (Ursus and the Tartar Princess, a.k.a. Ursus and the Tartar Girl, a.k.a. The Tartar Invasion) 1962 (starring Joe Robinson)
Ursus Nella Terra di Fuoco (Ursus in the Land of Fire, a.k.a. Son of Hercules in the Land of Fire) 1963 (starring Ed Fury)
Ursus il Gladiatore Rebelle (Ursus, the Rebel Gladiator, a.k.a. The Rebel Gladiators) 1963 (starring Dan Vadis)
Ursus, il terrore dei Kirghisi (Ursus, the Terror of the Kirghiz, a.k.a. Hercules, Prisoner of Evil) 1964 (starring Reg Park)
Ercole, Sansone, Maciste e Ursus, gli invincibili (Hercules, Samson, Maciste and Ursus: The Invincibles, a.k.a. Samson and the Mighty Challenge, a.k.a. Combate dei gigantes) 1964 (this was a satire/ comedy poking fun at the sword-and-sandal genre, and starred Yan Larvor as Ursus)
Gli Invincibili Tre (The Invincible Three, a.k.a. The Three Invincibles, a.k.a. Three Avengers) 1964 (Ursus was the lead hero in this film, played by Alan Steel.)

Hi! I'm Razel and I'm from Poland. For my bachelor degree, I've written a thesis concerning movies with aliens in them. My professor asked me a question, ofr which I cannot seem to find an answer: are there any movies with aliens in them, that remind me of any classical myths, from Ancient Greece, Rome or Egypt? It doesn't have to be a full story, just a theme in the background. My professor gave me the example of Alien (1979) which resembles faintly the myth of Theseus and the minotaur. Can you guys give me any other examples?
Welcome .

I tell you what's interesting about that to me — there's a face-on painting of the Alien by H. R. Giger that superficially resembles a bull's head. That's because of the 'funnels' on its back and they way they seem to run alongside it's elongated cranium.

Aside from that I'm just wondering where the correlation to the Theseus myth comes in. Possibly Dallas crawling through the duct shaft? And you might say that there being seven crewmembers relates to the seven boys and seven girls that the Athenians had to give to Minos as sacrifices every nine years.

An even more overt example is within the same franchise, as the Engineers in Prometheus, having that stark white colour and superhuman physique, look like statues of Greek gods.

I think he wants examples like E.T./comparison to Jesus but with comparisons to Greek/Roman/Egyptian myths?
Yeah, that's exactly what I would like. I think I could phrase it better, but I'm sick right now and my brain is on low power mode.

Aside from that I'm just wondering where the correlation to the Theseus myth comes in. Possibly Dallas crawling through the duct shaft? And you might say that there being seven crewmembers relates to the seven boys and seven girls that the Athenians had to give to Minos as sacrifices every nine years.
I'm not entirely sure, but I think that you're correct, the duct shaft "acts" as a labirynth, at least according to my professor. As for the rest of suggestions, I will definitely use them!

I think he wants examples like E.T./comparison to Jesus but with comparisons to Greek/Roman/Egyptian myths?
Yeah I think it's more about the story being inspired partly by mythology rather than depicting mythology in a familiar, obvious way.

Beowulf has inspired lots of productions but I can only think of one science fiction version, which is Outlander (2008).

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that you're correct, the duct shaft "acts" as a labirynth, at least according to my professor. As for the rest of suggestions, I will definitely use them!
I'm sure you'll discover even more comparisons to mythology in the Alien series. I wrote about the film myself at college but my essay concentrated on the sexual imagery in the film.

I'm sure you'll discover even more comparisons to mythology in the Alien series. I wrote about the film myself at college but my essay concentrated on the sexual imagery in the film.
I'll definitely look into that, thanks!

I'll definitely look into that, thanks!
You're welcome . If I think of any other interesting examples I'll let you know.

Immortal 2004, Stargate 1994

George Lucas has stated many times that he drew on Greek mythology in devising his Star Wars oeuvre; for example, see the second paragraph at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_W...egacy_Revealed. That documentary is available (cropped from 3x4 to 9x16) on YouTube

George Lucas has stated many times that he drew on Greek mythology in devising his Star Wars oeuvre
Actually – not Greek mythology but Luke's encounter with the wampa on Hoth is a bit like Beowulf, given that it snatches him for its larder and then loses an arm when he escapes.