I watched the original and want to see the remake now. But in the original I did not understand part of the plot.

SPOILER

Basically the two main characters confess their crimes to their lawyer who is defending them. The person is recorded their confession later comes to them and uses the confession to blackmail them into doing what he wants... he threatens to hand over the confession to the prosecutor if they do not comply with his demands.

However, I do not understand how this would legally work. A defense attorney's client is allowed to talk about the crime to him, since the defense attorney has to prepare a defense. It's a privileged conversation between attorney and client.

So since the conversation is privileged, what good would it do to hand it over to a prosecutor? If handing over such a conversation was enough to win a murder case, then all you would have to do in real life, is break into a defense attorney's office, steal the record of the conversation and mail it to the prosecutor, if you wanted to see an alleged murderer put away.

My sister works in a law firm and she said the same thing when I asked her.

So isn't this a huge legal plot hole, or no?