Best Classic Movies About Depression?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
You can use the term "depression" loosely.. Melancholy, sadness, etc.. To me, a classic movie is at least 40 years old. I ask because they are not only better, but they don't milk vulgarity or exploit as much.

"La Strada" is the best and first one that comes to mind. "Taxi Driver" isn't as good, but a better look at loneliness in a movie.

I'll think of a few more, just a little busy at the moment.

Did you think Blanche was depressed? The movie seems to point out that she's troubled mentally, but I didn't read the book.. Curious what you think.
Absolutely. BTW, it's based on a play not a book.

Absolutely. BTW, it's based on a play not a book.
Of course -- it's funny that the entire cast remained except for Blanche, which was originally played by Jessica Tandy... Did you read anything in the play that describes more of Blanche, since the movie doesn't go into it much.

Of course -- it's funny that the entire cast remained except for Blanche, which was originally played by Jessica Tandy... Did you read anything in the play that describes more of Blanche, since the movie doesn't go into it much.
It's eons since I read the play, but, IIRC, things were touched upon rather than given out in great detail. It's a great movie.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Eagerly I wished the morrow; vainly I had sought to borrow
From my books surcease of sorrow - sorrow for the lost Lenore -
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore -
Nameless here for evermore.

The Raven (1963)

The Snake Pit was a classic from 1948, with sensational acting from Olivia de Havilland. The film was a great template for many institution movies to come, including "Cuckoo's Nest".

~Doc

Two-Lane Blacktop (Hellman, 1971)
The Last Picture Show (Bogdanovich, 1971)
A Woman Under the Influence (Cassavettes, 1974)

Two-Lane Blacktop (Hellman, 1971)
The Last Picture Show (Bogdanovich, 1971)
A Woman Under the Influence (Cassavettes, 1974)
Duh! I'd say quite a few Cassavetes movie fit.. "Minnie and Moskowitz"

Waterloo Bridge (1940) is a strong-emotional film about depression. I reviewed it too.
Thanks again, looks interesting. Did you see the original pre-coded one from 1931?

Ugh update -- I don't have the option to rent, only to buy.. However, TCM is showing the original on 6/1, 9:30pm.

Thanks again, looks interesting. Did you see the original pre-coded one from 1931?

Ugh update -- I don't have the option to rent, only to buy.. However, TCM is showing the original on 6/1, 9:30pm.
The precode Waterloo Bridge is good too, but it's more about self loathing than depression. The 1940 version should be somewhere online.

The Fire Within (1963)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...