Working Girl

Tools    

Mike Nichols, director of other classics like The Graduate, showed his mastery of all the elements needed in a movie. The used of the song “Let the river run” at the beginning of the movie completely set the tone, using it at the end too bookmark the movie and too remind the audience how it started was a great touch. He also got, what I considered, the best performance out of Griffin allowing her to shine among bigger name stars and letting her carry the movie.

Working Girl… works (sorry) on so many levels. It provides a great social commentary, that sadly is very relevant today, while still being a great romantic comedy. This movie holds up to this day and is still incredibly funny and a testament to Nichols directorial touch. I was somewhat shocked on how raw and direct sexism was showcased in this movie (specially for its time). This movie forced me to put myself in my wife’s shoes as she tries to navigate in corporate America and this is why I love movies.

The entire opening of this movie is men hitting on her and her bosses set her up on a "meeting" with young cocked out of his mind Kevin Spacey. He then tries to take her to hotel for an "interview".

I don't remember any sexism in the film. It was about one woman being exploited by another so i didn't really see it as sexist.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I think it's one of the best comedies of the 1980's...there's a review of it on my thread somewhere.
Yeah. I like old comedies, because they aren't stupid.

I liked it a lot, I have the review up on my site as well.

I think it's one of the best comedies of the 1980's...there's a review of it on my thread somewhere.