Pirates of the Caribbean

→ in
Tools    

I went in with almost no expectations...well, no good expectations anyway, but I do love Depp, and I was very pleasantly surprised. This is a very fun, turn the ol' brain-off and go with it adventure, complete with laughs and plenty of good effects and stuntwork. Depp is quite wonderful with an off-center little performance from the planet Mars that works, and the rest of the cast - particularly Geoffrey Rush and Orlando Bloom, are fantastic. Miss Knightley ain't bad for the eyes niether. Pirates of the Caribbean has fun with all the requisite genre cliches (unlike the unwatchable and bloated Cutthroat Island), and even some clever references to the Disneyland ride that gave inspiration for the project.

Good Summer fun to be had by all. Avast ye, Mateys! Get extra butter for yer popcorn.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It was beauty killed the beast.
Kong saw it, and has rather mixed feelings. It's nice to see a pirate movie, and there was plenty to be entertained by, but Kong really hated the corny humor. Sometimes it was funny, but it was mostly (for Kong at least) too self-aware and distracting.

It was very fun to watch Johnny Depp, and Geoffery Rush in their roles. They overplayed their characters just enough to be deliciously entertaining, but not so much as to be annoying. Kierra Knightley has amazing lips! Orlando Bloom was okay, but most of his scenes without Depp or Rush were the dullest of the film.

The only other complaint is with Gore Verbinski's direction. Like The Ring, the pacing and atmosphere were good up until the very end. The problem with the ending in this one was that, again like The Ring, there is no real climax, but instead we are given a bunch of sort of climactic scenes. Oh well.

If you can look past the cornyness it's definitely a fun little flick, but Kong had a lot of trouble doing that.

I loved Pirates… it reminded me of an old-fashioned swashbuckler and was just as much fun… The sword fights and special effects are great… Rush, Bloom, and Knightley are all fantastic but the prize goes to Depp… he had me smiling (and laughing) from beginning to end… "Yo Ho, Yo Ho...a pirates life for me!"

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I have to say, unreservedly, that Pirates Of The Carribean (Can we shorten it to PotC? Pirates Of The Carribean is too long for my minimal typing skills...) rocked so very hard! Johnny Depp owned that movie. Did anyone else get that he was playing Jack Sparrow as a pirate Keith Richards? Hilarious. Best movie of the summer. (only Charlies Angels 2 comes close to how much fun PotC is....)

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Looking forward to it. I saw a couple of art films on my trip, and now I look forward to some popcorn action movies.

Tomorrow attempt to see:

T3
The League
PoTC (I think thats right)

Soon you can also expect The Mad Prophets reviews on:

Any of the above
The Man on the Train
Whale Rider

Yes, Depp mentions the Keith Richards inspiration in most of the myriad of interviews he's been doing to push Pirates of the Caribbean. It's not a Rich Little type dead-on impression of course, but Johnny definitely took the essence, spaciness and odd mannerisms of the elder Keith. Very funny, completely out of left field, and it works wonders in this movie.

can anybody explain to me this portion of the movie

WARNING: "Pirates of the Caribbean" spoilers below
Right when Jack is still in the jail cell and one of the pirates trys to grab him through the bars his arm turns into bone correct? because of the moonlight. but why is it Jack didn't turn into a skeleton? his head was in the moonlight before leaning back to avoid the hand and at the end of the movie he's a skeleton? if he was a skeleton in the first place why didn't he turn into it in the cell when the moonligh twas hitting him

this thing messed up the movie for me, good m ovie and all but it kept me thinking after the movie

Edited: to add spoilers tags

*****SPOILERS*****SPOILERS*****SPOILERS******SPOILERS*****SPOILERS******
WARNING: "Pirates of the Caribbean" spoilers below
Jack Sparrow steals one of the pieces of cursed treasure before the final fight in the cave begins. This makes him temporarily the same undead creature as his mutinous crew, until he returns what is now the last piece and Will Turner spills his blood onto it all.

How did you miss this?

Get it now? It's not exactly the most intricate of plots.

Seen it. Liked it. My impression of it. Nice spectacle. Nice comedy. Nice action. Nice film.

I loved it. It was a better film than LXG, which some of you might say "that isn't saying much", but I enjoyed both films. This movie had a little something for everyone. Depp gave a wonderful performance, and Mr. Rush was a strong villian. Depp dominated this film!

Overall it was a very very enjoyable and funny movie.

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
Saw it and loved it. My favorite ride at Disneyland. I didn't get to see then end though. I had to switch screens (at the drive in's), didn't want to miss the beginning of T3. Graphics were excellent...loved the part...(this isn't really spoiling it)...but when the Black Pearl pirates are in the dark and then they walk into the moon light and they turn to skeletons. I thought that effect was cool.

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

Did anyone stay after the credits of the movie????? There is brief little scene at the end. I saw it when I was working, but I stayed after with my friend and sister to show them. It's kinda cool so if ya wanna check it out......do so.

I was glad to see Mr. Rush once more before leaving.

MovieForums Extra
Just came back from seeing the Pirates and I have to say I had an excellent time. I thought the corny humor was just corny enough. (Am I the only one who thinks Keira Knightley looks just like Winona Ryder?)
Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed turning off the deep thinking part of my brain to sit back and laugh and laugh. I thought Orlando Bloom (be still my beating heart) held his own in the face of one helluva Captain Jack Sparrow. I wasn't much of a Depp fan before now. He was funny, witty, sassy....I was captivated. This is one I would definately add to my DVD collection......savvy?

PS...I did stay for the little extra at the end.....thanks jrs.

Originally Posted by birdygyrl
I wasn't much of a Depp fan before now. He was funny, witty, sassy....I was captivated.

Have you ever seen Depp in Edward Scissorhands? He's awesome in that one too...

MovieForums Extra
I did see it years ago. I enjoyed it but not as much as Captain Jack Sparrow. Guess it might be time to watch it again. Oh, and see Winona Ryder instead of Keira Knightley.

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
How many references to the ride can we name?

Here are the ones I noticed:

The prisoners holding the bone for the dog with the key.

Rush's character drinking the rum and seeing it through his skeleton.

The drunken pirate sitting and rocking back and forth on the barrel.

The parrot saying, "Dead men tell no tales" before entering the caves.

The skeleton with the sword in its back as they enter the caves.

The pirate sleeping with the pigs.

Any others?
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10