Best of 2016 (so far)

Tools    

Update: More than halfway through the year now, what are your favorites (or least favorites) so far?

My picks:

BEST FILM
1.) The Lobster *
2.) Cemetery of Splendour
3.) Thunder Road
4.) Weiner
5.) O.J.: Made in America
6.) Under the Shadow
7.) Green Room
8.) Krisha
9.) Love & Friendship
10.) Everything Will Be Okay

Honorable mention: Dheepan, In Transit, How Was Your Day?, The Fits, Cameraperson, Hail, Caesar!, Midnight Special, The Witch, Swiss Army Man, Tower

BEST DIRECTOR
Apichatpong Weerasethakul -Cemetery of Splendour *
Babak Anvari -Under the Shadow
Yorgos Lanthimos -The Lobster
Robert Eggers -The Witch
Anna Rose Holmer -The Fits

BEST ACTOR
Jesuthasan Antonythasan -Dheepan *
Jake Gyllenhaal -Demolition
Ryan Gosling -The Nice Guys
Paul Dano -Swiss Army Man
Andre Royo -Hunter Gatherer

BEST ACTRESS
Krisha Fairchild -Krisha *
Kalieaswari Srinivasan -Dheepan
Jenjira Pongpas -Cemetery of Splendour
Narges Rashidi -Under the Shadow
Kate Beckinsale -Love & Friendship

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Jim Cummings -Thunder Road *
Alden Ehrenrich -Hail, Caesar!
Tom Bennett -Love & Friendship
Simon Shwarz -Everything Will Be Okay
Daniel Radcliffe -Swiss Army Man

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Jarinpattra Rueangram -Cemetery of Splendour *
Cate Blanchett -Knight of Cups
Rachel Weisz -The Lobster
Claudine Vinasithamby -Dheepan
Layla Alizada -Day One

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Yorgos Lanthimos -The Lobster *
Jeremy Saulnier -Green Room
Joel and Ethan Coen -Hail, Caesar!
Apichatpong Weerasethakul -Cemetery of Splendour
Babak Anvari -Under the Shadow

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Whit Stillman -Love & Friendship *
Bryan Sipe -Demolition
John Hodge -The Program

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Diego Garcia -Cemetery of Splendour *
Drew Daniels -Krisha
Emmanuel Lubezki -Knight of Cups & Last Days in the Desert
Jarin Blaschke -The Witch
Larkin Seiple -Swiss Army Man

BEST EDITING
Bret Granato, Maya Mumma, & Ben Sozanski -O.J.: Made in America *
Julia Bloch -Green Room
Jay M. Glen -Demolition
Chris Barwell -Under the Shadow
Trey Edward Shults -Krisha

BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC
David Wingo -Midnight Special *
Daniel Bensi & Saunder Juriaans -The Fits
Brian McOmber -Krisha
Andy Hull & Robert McDowell -Swiss Army Man
Cliff Martinez -The Neon Demon

BEST DOCUMENTARY
Weiner *
O.J.: Made in America
In Transit
Cameraperson
Tower

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Cemetery of Splendour *
Under the Shadow
Everything Will Be Okay
Dheepan
Shok

BEST ANIMATED FILM
Sausage Party *
Zootopia
Finding Dory (merely by default, don't care for any of them)

I've only seen The Witch and The Brothers Grimsby. So many movies from 2015 are still in theaters...

I completely agree with Robert Eggers doing an excellent job directing, and Anya Taylor-Joy doing very well as the lead. I think Harvey Scrimshaw and Ralph Ineson's performances were also praise worthy. And I see you had the cinematographer up there too. Yeah, the cinematography in The Witch was amazing.

Movie Forums Extra
Hail, Caesar! it's ok..

1. Deadpool
2. 10 Cloverfield Lane
3. The Witch

As for directors, we have some new and exciting talent in the form of Dan Trachtenberg (10 Cloverfield Lane) Robert Eggers (The Witch) and Tim Miller (Deadpool) It's quite interesting that the 3 Best Films of 2016 so far (according to me ) are the work of first-time directors.

Also, Anya Taylor-Joy seems like a gem, Mary Elizabeth Winstead should get more good roles and Ryan Reynolds has at last scored his breakthrough blockbuster role.

I have to return some videotapes...
I'd probably say 10 Cloverfield Lane is the best of the year so far, but I haven't gotten the chance to see Krisha and Midnight Special, which have peaked my interest.

I've only seen The Witch and The Brothers Grimsby. So many movies from 2015 are still in theaters...

I completely agree with Robert Eggers doing an excellent job directing, and Anya Taylor-Joy doing very well as the lead. I think Harvey Scrimshaw and Ralph Ineson's performances were also praise worthy. And I see you had the cinematographer up there too. Yeah, the cinematography in The Witch was amazing.
How was Grimsby? lol

I am from Grimsby. :')

How was Grimsby? lol

I am from Grimsby. :')
The Brothers Grimsby
(2016) Comedy, Action

The main reason I went to see this was because there wasn't much else catching my eye, and I actually do find Sacha Baron Cohen pretty funny. Most of his material has entertained me in the past: The Ali G Show, Borat, Bruno, and The Dictator. But based on the trailer I had fairly low expectations. The movie turned out way better than I was hoping. It was actually hilarious. It was so funny that I was in pain laughing so hard several times. It's a kind of stupid funny drawn out mostly by the absurdly idiotic behavior of Cohen's character. There were constant laughs and a good amount of original jokes. This was the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. I still chuckle when I think about how crazy some of the scenes were and the hilariously stupid things Cohen did.

It was hilarious.

Welcome to the human race...
Seems a little early for a thread like this. That or I'm just annoyed that circumstances have made it so that the only 2016 theatrical release I've seen so far is Deadpool (which I don't think would make my "best of" list anyway, but who knows).

I've only seen 3 2016 movies so far; Deadpool, The Witch, and Zootopia.

For me it's Zootopia—one of the best animated films I've ever seen, so something really good has to come out this year for me to say that it won't be the best of 2016.

If I was a spy and they wanted information from me, I'd tell them everything they wanted to know after half an hour of Zootopia.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
If I was a spy and they wanted information from me, I'd tell them everything they wanted to know after half an hour of Zootopia.

+1000 for the truth.

If it's got Pixar/Disney/Dreamworks anywhere on it, I stay far, far away from it.

I've seen some direct to video releases so far that have been alright. But the only film I've seen in theaters since the new year is The Witch,and I gave that film
because it's one of the most enjoyable films I've seen in a long, long time. My best of lists usually don't contain Hollywood blockbusters or anything most people would deem "Good" though, a lot of cheap/violent horror and British/Japanese crime films.

Well I know about the dark and spooky kind of music you all listen to, so I'm not surprised you wouldn't like Zootopia.

I loved the characters and story and the city itself, and sure a lot of the jokes didn't have you rolling on the floor, but some of them were brilliant. The sloth scene of course is brilliant, even if it was spoiled with it being shown before Star Wars, it was still just as funny seeing it in the actual movie.

The sloth scene wasn't very original though. I've seen similar jokes many times before.

I only watched about 40 minutes of the movie. My friend and I walked in randomly to check it out and I saw until the Godfather parody. The main rabbit character reminded me of those people who are overly apolagetic to the point of being annoying. Apologising when there's nothing to apologise for out of an absurdly exagerated notion of courtesy. And I grew sick of their preaching of niceness and donut stuffing imbeciles to the point where I begged my friend to leave the theater, and when that didn't work I tried desprately to fall asleep.

Hope I didn't offend you False Writer. No matter what, I think you're a cool dude. My friend liked it too so I wouldn't fault anyone for liking it, but I couldn't stand the movie.

- How to be single.
- Everybody wants some.
- The girl on the train.
- The 5th wave.

The sloth scene wasn't very original though. I've seen similar jokes many times before.

I only watched about 40 minutes of the movie. My friend and I walked in randomly to check it out and I saw until the Godfather parody. The main rabbit character reminded me of those people who are overly apolagetic to the point of being annoying. Apologising when there's nothing to apologise for out of an absurdly exagerated notion of courtesy. And I grew sick of their preaching of niceness and donut stuffing imbeciles to the point where I begged my friend to leave the theater, and when that didn't work I tried desprately to fall asleep.

Hope I didn't offend you False Writer. No matter what, I think you're a cool dude. My friend liked it too so I wouldn't fault anyone for liking it, but I couldn't stand the movie.
Oh no not at all! Everyone has a right to their opinion, I can tell you that there are some movies people love that I can't stand. It's no problem, sure we may disagree on this but that in no way says we gotta hate each other.

And likewise on the cool dude thing. We're all just a bunch of cool guys (and girls) on this forum.