Eraserhead

Tools    

David Lynch's Eraserhead is now available on DVD. In an odd if understanadbly Lynchian move, it has been released by Lynch himself, and nobody else. You can only order it through his website www.davidlynch.com (visiting that dot.com is an adventure in itself).

I guess because there's no studio eating up costs, the disc is pretty pricey, running close to $50 including shipping. But, if you're a fan of this cultiest of all cult movies, it'll seem like a bargain.

It comes in a black cardboard box for shipping, very frightening actually sitting on the doorstep, with Lynch's name and a black&white picture of an industrial site affixed. As you begin to open it and dig through styrofoam peanuts and a red sack, you could swear you're about to come upon a svered human ear or some other horrific surprise. But, it's just the DVD, which is in an oversized box of a design I've never seen before (don't know how in the Hell I'm gonna store it with all my other DVDs). The box says "ERASERHEAD DVD 2000". This is because it was supposed to be ready three years ago, but has only now finally made it to market - they didn't bother with the expense of re-printing boxes. It'll probably take a minute to even figure out how to extract the disc itself.

As for the movie, it is remastered, audio and video, and looks quite crisp.The extras are the trailer and an 84-minute retrospective with Lynch going over various points of the genesis of the project, the production and reception of the finished movie. It's quite good.

If you're a fan of this curious and intesnsely stee-range flick, this DVD is an absolute must.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Thank you Holden!!! I'm ordering this tonight.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I See You When You're Sleeping
Thankyou so much. I've been waiting for this one. I was going to use that movie for the movie club and scare the kids.

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally posted by MinionTV
Thankyou so much. I've been waiting for this one. I was going to use that movie for the movie club and scare the kids.
Except they wouldn't be able to find a copy.

Kong saw this a few years back, and it's certainly an interesting, moody piece, but not something Kong would watch enough to justify a $50 purchase. Hell, Kong could rent 30 times for that price.

Originally posted by Kong
Except they wouldn't be able to find a copy.
I suppose you're right

I have it on video but I think it would be hard to get hold of now.

Believe it or not, I saw this available for DL on a newsgroup. Damn, even cable would take awhile...

I went to my local shop and bought Eraserhead for £10. That works out to be about $16 (?) in your money. It's not the fancy package (it has nothing fancy at all ) but it's cheap.

I recently downloaded it... I had no idea it was available on DVD (I thought it was out of print completely). I'll have to look into that.

I've so wanted to buy this film but being in Canada with Canadian money and not having a parent with a credit card im assuming there is no chance in hell for me to obtain this film

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10