Is Nightcrawler a modern day classic??

Tools    

Nightcrawler is one of my favourite films and Jake Gyllenhall gives his best and my favourite performance of all time..

I have to return some videotapes.
7/10. It's intriguing but the protagonist is not sympathetic.
So?

A movie doesn't need a sympathetic or "good" anti-hero to be a great one.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I felt very sympathetic for Lucas.

WARNING: spoilers below

No sign of family or friends, that little plant was the closest thing.
He had some sort of illness or handicap, that would all but guarantee a life of solitude.
He didn't come across as a malicious evildoer, but someone that had been chewed up by life and functioned as a result.

Welcome to the human race...
It's hard to know exactly how sympathetic it is to feel for Louis, if at all. His first on-screen act is to attack (and possibly murder) a security guard who catches him stealing some fencing, which is definitely disproportionate retribution. He may have had a difficult background and possible mental health issues, but as I recall none of that is ever confirmed so it could all be conjecture. It's not like the other characters that are involved in the "nightcrawler" business are complete sociopaths either, so you can't automatically presume as to Louis being that neurodivergent. But again, this is all subject to interpretation one way or the other.

So?

A movie doesn't need a sympathetic or "good" anti-hero to be a great one.
Nightcrawler and Louis character is very consistent and I have no complaints in this regard. It's rather I can't love a movie if I don't feel any sympathy towards it's protagonist especially when all movie revolves around him. Usually even most evil villains have some admirable qualities. Not in this case, for me.

Nightcrawler and Louis character is very consistent and I have no complaints in this regard. It's rather I can't love a movie if I don't feel any sympathy towards it's protagonist especially when all movie revolves around him. Usually even most evil villains have some admirable qualities. Not in this case, for me.
You've got to admire his entrepreneurial spirit and dedication to his job.

This may or may not be a joke.

Louise Bloom vs Patrick Bateman (from American Pscycho)??

One is defined by his search for wealth and uses violence to that end, while the other is a wealthy man looking to define himself through violence in and of itself.

I think it should have won Best Picture..

Both are total psychopaths. Or is Louise a sociopath? From what I remember I liked Patrick in some sense, maybe because I could experience his way of thinking, whereas Louise is portrayed from third person perspective.

Yeah I don't know if you can compare Bloom and Bateman.......

Bloom is a sociopath & Bateman is a psychopath

I guess in some way they were both crazy so......

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
The only thing I liked about Patrick was our shared love of Huey Lewis and the News.