→ in
Tools    

The Wages of Fear
"Le Salaire de la Peur"

(1953, France)
Directed by Henri-Georges Clouzot
Starring: Yves Montand, Charles Vanel and Peter van Eyck
Recommended by Gatsby

In a desolate South American village several men try to find a way out. Their main problem is they are essentially marooned there. The only road out of town goes only as far as the oil drilling rigs and they are nowhere near having the money to fly out. There are no jobs to speak of and one day seems to just blend into the next. When a major fire breaks at the oil drilling site, the oil company hires four men to transport highly volatile nitroglycerin over a rough terrain and roads that have been virtually abandoned. The four accept the job because of the money they're offered is more than enough to allow them to leave once the job is done. The job is so dangerous however that few people expect them to return alive.

Also available on Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime ($2.99 instant videol)

Trailer:

Full Movie

My first time watching.
They don't seem to make movies like this anymore, a great classical story of suspense that gripped me throughout the film.

Although I started laughing just before the end.

WARNING: "funny" spoilers below
swerving all over the road it was ridiculously dangerous and you could tell he was going to die. in itself that's not a bad thing, it's part of suspense when you know whats coming. But the way they did it for some reason made me laugh.