House of 1000 Corpses

→ in
Tools    

House of 1000 Corpses

I'm so glad someone said this.....I've heard nothing but good things about it, but after hearing the words "Rob" and "Zombie" and then seeing some of the artwork....I was squicked out.

It's one of those basically psychotic, crazy, gruesome films. In the lines of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre . When seeing the House of 1000 Corpses.Screener I thought it was a fairly made horror flick.
Hey, if you know who Rob Zombie is you'll be ready and know what to expect.
This is actually for those with specific tastes though.

Originally posted by jrs1013
It's one of those basically psychotic, crazy, gruesome films. In the lines of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre . When seeing the House of 1000 Corpses.Screener I thought it was a fairly made horror flick. Hey, if you know who Rob Zombie is you'll be ready and know what to expect. This is actually for those with specific tastes though.
Yeaaaahhh..... a taste for POOP! Coprophagic Cinemax! EEEEEGAH!

Rob Zombie is full of himself. I loved his CD, "Hellbilly Deluxe", but the movie shows how limited and dull he really is. He should stick to the music business. The only thing that I liked from the movie was the Dr. Satan surgery scene -- it was visually appealing, but, c'mon -- it served no purpose! The movie was a trashcan missing its trash. And no way is it in the lines of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre!!! Have you been looking at things right?

If I'm not finding anything strong with the horror movie, I look for a killer with a look that stands out, something memorable. House of 1000 Corpses had nobody! Captain Spaulding looked stupid in his "If I wanted to listen to an *******, I'D FART" shirt, or whatever it said. What was with them wearing dumbass shirts right outta Spencer Gifts? Like that Tiny guy, or whatever his name is, trying to be the new Leatherface. PSSST! His "This is my Halloween Costume" t-shirt. And what do we get most of the time? A bunch of guys trying to give us scary looks -- without anything on their face. It was so wrong. Rob Zombie is as braindead as his 1000 corpses (which we never saw).

I love it… no, not the movie… this review… ... Thanks for the warning Sexy…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
I heard it sucks too. A lot of people said that up here in PA..
I would have to agree with JRS thought, that the movie "is for those with specific tastes"

Rob Zombie is a straaaaaaaaaaange fellow, but he is cool with me.

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

You live in Pennsylvania!?! Where do you live?

Originally posted by moviefan20
Rob Zombie is a straaaaaaaaaaange fellow, but he is cool with me.
Stephen King is strange. Rob Zombie is typical. Nothing he comes up with is original. Rob robbed me of my money! Bad zombie!

My life isn't written very well.
Great review Jas'. I'm wondering though how you and moviefan's friends were able to see it. I mean I haven't even heard of a release date for it here in CA, I haven't seen a trailer or coming attraction either. Usually there's a trailer that says its opened in "limited release" in select cities. Los Angeles is usually one of those selected cities. What gives?

Jrs, I know a screener is a video of an upcoming video release. Is House of 1,000 Corpses straight-to-video, if so how did Jason see it in a theater........I'm confused....

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

All I can tell you is that it got a wide release after having a limited release, but it's not playing at many theatres and I haven't seen TV promos either. I had to go to Sterling, VA (miles and miles away) to see it. The soundtrack just came out in stores too.

Originally posted by Gracie
You live in Pennsylvania!?! Where do you live?
I am from Bloomsburg, lived in Sunbury and now reside where the Little League World Series is played..South Williamsport

Why do you ask???

Movie Explorer
I heard it sucks too. They also had to do bunch of edits to make it theatre 'appealing/suitable'. Maybe the director's cut will be full of more of that 'stuff' but I guess I won't watch this movie. I'm a horror movie buff and I watch almost every horror movie that comes out. If this is just another one of those slasher types then I'm not interested.

I thought you were from California or something. I'm from Pittsburgh, one of the most unknown places in the world.

I used to live in California---many moons ago

I tend to disagree. I found that the movie was quite entertaining. Not the greatest, but very good. I can understand why today's audience's might not deem it scary or popular with the over saturation of teen slasher flicks like Scream, Urban legend, etc..
Now granted I have not seen the theater version yet. I have a bootleg of the uncut version, so I don't know how badly they butchered it. If you don't want to spend the 7 bucks to see it, wait till it comes out on video. The flick is worth a viewing.

My life isn't written very well.
So far this thread has done a good job of desribing why this movie is so bad. Sexy has a well written, bad review of the picture. But so far those of you who "liked" the film have yet to explain why one should see it. Anyone out there willing to go the distance and explain why I might want to see it?

Originally posted by Cyanide
I tend to disagree. I found that the movie was quite entertaining. Not the greatest, but very good. I can understand why today's audience's might not deem it scary or popular with the over saturation of teen slasher flicks like Scream, Urban legend, etc.. Now granted I have not seen the theater version yet. I have a bootleg of the uncut version, so I don't know how badly they butchered it. If you don't want to spend the 7 bucks to see it, wait till it comes out on video. The flick is worth a viewing.
The Scream and Urban Legend series are both on their way to being dinosaurs. The new age slasher genre is dead. What we have now is the new age special effects/creature genre (Jeepers Creepers, Final Destination) but it's about dead too, THANK GOD (still got Jeepers Creepers 2).

But the IN thing now (to horror fans like me) is the return of retro horror and the classic 80s horror movie killers. I would shout "WHOO-HOO!" as it's my favorite, but unfortunately, idiots are helming the projects. First Jason X was ruined. Then comes along House of1000 Corpses, written and directed by an ego-driven horror nut with no talent. Soon we'll have Freddy Vs. Jason, which I think will really kick it off (hello? It's got Kelly Rowland, and it's a fight movie) but I bet it will be a stinker cause I've seen pictures and scenes. Then there's the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake which is beyond unnecessary and is DEFINITELY going to suck because of what I've seen and read.

House of 1000 Corpses is forgettable in all ways. It will only serve its purpose as a memory of what to avoid. Psycho scared us away from showers, and House of 1000 Corpses will scare you away from seeing it a second time.

I did not know anything about this movie until a couple months ago. I've heard from time to time that Rob Zombie was making a movie, but that was it. No mention of a title or what it was all about. A friend of mine told me a couple months ago that it was coming out soon and I should check out the trailer online, on which I did and I was very intrigued. I'm just explaining this first off to give you my frame of mind towards the movie. I wasn't following the hype, or "A Rob Zombie movie! I gotta go see that!" I was interested in what I seen of it thus far. Now with that said, for someone's first attempt on making a horror film its a good movie. 500 times better than Dee Sniders lame attempt on making his own. The acting was decent with a couple memorable characters. Capt Spaulding I thought was a riot. I'm not a big fan of Karen Black, but she gives her typical annoying performance which fits her character well. Another familar face though brief but funny was Michael J Pollard. Sheri Moon's performance was quite impressive considering that she has never acted before. The screen play wasn't bad, alittle bit hokey but it went in flow with the movie. Rob said it himself, this movie is a homage to some of his favorite flicks like Texas Chainsaw, Last House on the Left, etc... and you can see that. The freaky cinematography really gave some scenes that disturbing flair to it. Mostly everybody I talked to said its like a music video not a ripoff of Natural Born Killers, which is the first time of heard of that opinion. I mentioned that to some people and they just gave me a strange look. It is a updated modern version of the old style horror films. Like I said I seen the uncut version. Maybe the movie was cut up so bad it ruined it. I'll have to see it sometime this week to find out. It isn't the greatest, but it is a decent film. Like you said, Rob Zombie designed a freakish carnival ride that's as tricky as a hall of mirrors. HOWEVER its an enjoyable one that one should ride at least once.