Sex, Lies and Videotape

→ in
Tools    

The best thing that I can say about Sex, Lies and videotape is that the film lives up to the potential of its name. I remember watching trashes having spurring names. In a way it has some significant similarities with a later masterpiece, American Beauty, and in some ways Sex, Lies and videotape is even better than American Beauty. It has an amazing economy, brilliant script, wonderful performances from all the four major actors and superb cinematography. It has got almost everything that is wonderful about film-making.

John, a clever lawyer is having a sexual relationship with his wife's sister, Cynthia. His wife, Ann, is absolutely uninterested in sex and seems more concerned about waste management. She confesses to her therapist that she hardly has sex these days. But interestingly she is happy with her life, feels secured and comfortable with her husband; at least she is able to successfully pretend. Probably she doesn't even know whether she really love her husband or not. She is shy to talk about sex and feels it's not that important, at least this she wants to believe. Ann somehow also believes that even if she has no interest in having sex with her husband still he would not go to another woman. She tells John that it will absolutely break her down if she comes to know about something like that. On the other hand, John and Cynthia are having frequent and electrifying times in bed, something that Ann has no clue about. Cynthia is hot, seductive and according to Ann, loud and extrovert. She kind of finds having sex on her sister's bed a rousing proposition. Interestingly, john has a strong sense of possession about his wife and does not want to break his marriage, for whatever reasons.

In this already exciting scenario enters an even interesting pal, Graham, a friend of John, whom he hasn't seen for nine years. Graham is more interested in sex as a subject, than as a practice. He discusses sex with women he meets, about their experiences, desires, fantasies, and records those interviews in his camcorder, with their permission of course. It seems to be his favorite pastime. Now imagine a situation with all four of them having the chance to meet and talk to each other.

Though the film has some cliches like Ann, while visiting her sister's house, unknowingly taking a look at the small tree gifted to Cynthia by John, when last time he went there to have sex or Ann's lovely photograph at John's office table, shown at a predictable juncture of his conversation with Cynthia.

During an exchange at a restaurant with Ann, Graham says that he read it somewhere that, a man loves the woman he is attracted to and a woman gets attracted to a man she loves. Well, this has some value in terms of this film at least. After all Ann is not proved to be that uninterested in sex, and even if it kind of hurts John to hear Cynthia telling him that she doesn't trust him, he has to somehow swallow it.

Enjoyed reading your review of this film, though I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as you did. Personally, I would have liked to have seen someone else in Andie McDowell's role. I found her performance lifeless and dragged down the rest of the film.

Enjoyed reading your review of this film, though I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as you did. Personally, I would have liked to have seen someone else in Andie McDowell's role. I found her performance lifeless and dragged down the rest of the film.
ok, fair enough...if you thought so...i didn't have any problems with Andy McDowell's role though...found what you meant part of the plan...