Favorite Found-Footage Film

Tools    

My question for you is what is your favorite found footage film? Just in case, found footage is when the film is made to look real because its filmed as if it were from a camera that someone was holding, or could be propped up. I love it as a genre, and think it can be underrated sometimes.

Most of the films in found footage are horror, but I would say my favorite is Chronicle. It's a movie about 3 friends that find something that gives them powers, such as telekinesis and flight. Soon things start to get out of hand, and the main character, played beautifully by Dane DeHaan, starts releasing inner demons he has from years of abuse from his father and his peers. It's a very cool movie, and one of the things I love about it is that the dialogue doesn't even sound scripted, it's almost like they took them and said, hang out while we film you for a bit. It's just so natural. Very moving as well. If you haven't seen it, I would definitely recommend checking it out.

i'm gonna be hate again but Paranormal Activity for me are entaining movie hahaha

Any that don't bring on my motion sickness and I have to turn the film off after 15 minutes. There are those rare times where a film doesn't make me ill for some reason - Chronicle, and [REC] are so far the only ones.

So those.

Cannibal Holocaust
(Although that might be a bit of a cheat, since it isn't filmed entirely in the found-footage style. However, without this movie, the found-footage subgenre might not exist at all.)

For a more typical found-footage film, and one that probably kick-started the whole craze:

The Blair Witch Project
I've seen the movie get a lot of hate on this forum, but I love it. I was a kid when it came out, and everyone at school was convinced that it was real. I love the ambiguity of it, how all the questions remained unanswered: Is it really a witch? Are the woods haunted? Or is it just a group of twisted locals f**king with them? Probably the biggest reason I find the movie terrifying is because I used to live in a very rural area, surrounded by woods. This film made me afraid to venture into those woods when I was a kid. I also think the film should serve as inspiration for any aspiring filmmakers.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Cloverfield I suppose, Chronicle wasn't too bad either.

The Blair Witch Project and [REC] are probably my favorites, but I'll always have a warm place in my heart for Cloverfield.

I enjoyed Chronicle, Quarantine, Paranormal Activity...

The Last Horror Movie and The Last Broadcast are both lesser-known ones I thought were good.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I am not a very big fan when it comes to found-footage films, in-fact, I oftentimes grown whenever I see anything about them. I don't know why, but I feel like it's mostly because Paranormal Activity has left a bad taste in my mouth, along with films like Devil's Due that want to capture the same feeling. I think I hated the Blair Witch Project the most of all because of how annoying the main-girl was.

The Last Exorcism wasn't too bad, I mean, I liked the end, so, there's that. As far as favorites, Cloverfield comes to mind, but I will probably go with Chronicle.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I like a lot of them including most of them already mentioned. I liked The Last Exorcism except for the end. TrollHunter is the best of the bunch.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Yes, someone mentioned TrollHunter! that was such a good movie but my personal fave is Cloverfield, went in with zero expectations, came out very impressed. other than that, i dont like the genre.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Let the night air cool you off
I can only think of 4 that I like. [Rec], The Blair Witch Project, Cannibal Holocaust, and V/H/S/2. I haven't seen the first VHS movie. They are all different types of the "found-footage" genre, and they are all examples of the correct way to do the genre.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I like Forgotten Silver the best, but it combines mockumentary with found footage. In fact, it was a half hour in, and my wife still asked me if it was for real.

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned The Last Broadcast. I would do it to be different...but I unfortunately haven't seen it. Oh wait, someone did. YAY!

The ones I like are [REC], [REC] 2, and Chronicle. I get annoyed when I can't see what's going on so I'm not a big fan of this genre. I would have also listed Diary of the Dead because I liked how that one was filmed but the story wasn't very good. I also ruled out [REC] 3 because it pretty much drops the found footage aspect once the demons show up.

I like Blair Witch, Cloverfield, Troll Hunter and Paranormal Activity had its moments.
I've seen some pathetic ones as well, but that can be said of any genre.