Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

→ in
Tools    

The ruthless run trough the Star Trek box continues....

This was a much more serious movie than The Motion Picture. It's lacking something though. The childlike happiness of bad acting and the general feel of an art movie was missing. On the other hand the plot was better and the effects were less "acid generated". Again Leonard Nimoy's acting was chillingly good and it was fun to see Kirstie Alley with a waist.

Eclectic Mystery Science Fiction Movie Fruitcake
Hmmm...I see your point. At the time when it came out, Khan was considered to be a possible reboot of the movies, and all were praying that it wouldn't be as stale as STMP had been. Low and behold, it was exciting!

Many of us couldn't believe that Montalban could do the role effectively. We figured, "Nahhh, Fantasy Island will have drained all the Khan goodness out of him." Boy, were we wrong. He delivered, in both a satiric and almost comedic way, he provided a comic book-like baddy that we loved to hate.

Nimoy and Shatner did their utmost to inject some feeling into this movie - as if for the first time in two decades.

We're given some new blood, Saavik and David are seen as the possibility of a new generation - someone else to grab onto (if for a brief time as we see in the next film) and both Alley and Butrick did a great job.

The ending is the punchline, socking it to STOS fans everywhere. Many of us walked out of the movies wondering if we'd ever see Spock again, but there was that ending (the torpedo tube on the planet with the voice-over) - was it a second eulogy, or was it put there to keep our hopes up? It kept us watching it, hoping for an answer, until the next film came out.

It was a movie beyond most peoples expectations.

A movie that combined all the elements that made the original series great.

There is only one word that comes to mind, that really described The Wrath Of Khan.

"Brilliant".

On the outside looking in.
Not only a great STAR TREK film but a great film, period. I only wish Paramount would stop trying to re-make it.

does anyone think that lieutenant sarik should have been kept as a character after star trek 2?

does anyone think that lieutenant sarik should have been kept as a character after star trek 2?
Are you talking about one of the reboot ST movies? I don't recall a Sarik in The Wrath of Khan, but there was a Lt. Saavik (Kirstie Alley). Or do you mean Spock's father, Sarek?

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
You mean Lieutenant Saavik. I don't think her character really added much to the story after Star Trek II. Especially given the fact that they replaced Kirstie Alley with Robin Curtis. They could have used any actor/actress to accompany Dr. Marcus to the Genesis planet. I'm glad she didn't go along with the crew in Star Trek IV. It wouldn't have felt right to have her along on the trek to old Earth.

Are you talking about one of the reboot ST movies? I don't recall a Sarik in The Wrath of Khan, but there was a Lt. Saavik (Kirstie Alley). Or do you mean Spock's father, Sarek?
yeah savik i meant

I really liked Savik, it would've been cool if she could've been a reacquiring character in some of the ST TV series.
i liked her too and kirstie ally is a beautiful actress, i could say to me, she was missed in the next few films

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
At one point, Lieutenant Saavik was supposed to be in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, but the character was supposed to be a traitor. Gene Roddenberry didn't like the idea of her becoming a villain, so the storyline was changed, and the traitor was changed to Valeris.

Maybe if Kirstie Alley had continued in the role they might have done more with the character, but most fans didn't like Robin Curtis as much as they liked Kirstie Alley.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
He tasks me!

One of my favorite childhood films.

Going by memory is it not "He tasks me, he asks me", not task but ask the second time.

I'm going to you tube to find out!

Edit: Nope, I was wrong.

I have to admit, the hatred shown by ricardo montalban towards james t kirk is really something that you barely see on screen in any scifi film, you really feel how much the hatred is, it s just a character study of how intense that relationship is shown, a classic film and one of the best entries in the series if not the best