Salmon Fishing in the Yemen

→ in
Tools    

Princess of Power

Salmon Fishing In The Yemen

Salmon Fishing In The Yemen is a story of a fisheries expert, Dr Alfred Jones (Ewan McGregor), who is persuaded by Harriet Chetwode-Talbot (Emily Blunt) among others to help Skeikh Muhammeds (Amr Waked) bring alive his vision of fly-fishing for salmon in the Yemen.

I found this film to be an unobtrusive romance story that has been masked under a quirky tale. The comedy has a very British feel and although it was very mild I did laugh in places. I found the character of Harriet a little childish and irritating and most importantly I just didn’t buy into the chemistry between Emily Blunt and Ewan McGregor.

As always, Ewan McGregor was easy on the eyes and I thought he played Dr Jones well, but Amr Waked stole the show for me as he was excellent as the Skeikh. Regrettably I felt the relationship between these two characters could have been explored so much more and because of that I ended leaving the cinema sorely disappointed.

This film ended up being even worse than what I expected it to be. Sunday afternoon light entertainment, nothing more, nothing less.

Pretty much exactly what the trailer sold it to be.
I'd say that's exactly what the title sold it as. If Salmon Fishing In The Yemen doesn't sound like a light British comedy/drama (or a poorly translated foreign language title) I don't know what does.

BTW, have you seen The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, She-Ra? I'd say that's probably much closer to what you were expecting.

Princess of Power
BTW, have you seen The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, She-Ra? I'd say that's probably much closer to what you were expecting.
Yeah, I have seen The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (a side effect from taking my Mum to the flicks and letting her choose the films). I definitely enjoyed Exotic Marigold Hotel more than Salmon Fishing, I found the humour more witty and the chemistry between the cast works a hell of a lot better. The thing that annoyed the most though was the storyline of Graham being finished off so easily, why start that storyline if you don't want to deal with it?

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Accurate review, good job! I too, found it a benign, thinly veiled love story, and not even an engaging one--no chemistry. I agree that a movie about the relationship between the Sheik and Dr. Jones would have been much more interesting than the forced one between Ewan M and Emily Blunt.

To me, it's as if someone pulled the handle of a giant actress slot machine, and Emily Blunt showed up-- it could've been anybody.