Werewolf Films

Tools    

As many people know, there are not many exceptional werewolf movies out there, the only one being An American Werewolf in London. Other notables include: The Howling (the sequels are mostly garbage) and Silver Bullet (by Stephen King). Of course there's Teen Wolf (probably the best of them all, come on, admitt it), but I'm talking about serious werewolf films here.
Whether you're a horror fan or not, what about a werewolf film might interest you? What would be cool to see that hasn't been done before? What kind of mood would you like to see? A mystery/thriller or more of an action?
Personally, I'd like to see something about a werewolf hunter. Something explaining more in depth about the curse that werewolves have to live with or maybe to them it's not a curse. Im curious becuase I'm a big horror fan and wish that there could be more werewolf films made. Just checkin' the pulse of the people....

Originally posted by Mr. Fong
As many people know, there are not many exceptional werewolf movies out there, the only one being An American Werewolf in London. Other notables include: The Howling (the sequels are mostly garbage) and Silver Bullet (by Stephen King). Of course there's Teen Wolf (probably the best of them all, come on, admitt it), but I'm talking about serious werewolf films here.
Whether you're a horror fan or not, what about a werewolf film might interest you? What would be cool to see that hasn't been done before? What kind of mood would you like to see? A mystery/thriller or more of an action?
Personally, I'd like to see something about a werewolf hunter. Something explaining more in depth about the curse that werewolves have to live with or maybe to them it's not a curse. Im curious becuase I'm a big horror fan and wish that there could be more werewolf films made. Just checkin' the pulse of the people....
Ginger Snaps, though lacking in the special effects area was an excellant movie, and would have been alot better had they had more money

There was a tv series a long time ago, seems I remember the guy would get that symbol on his hand before he changed... (He went on to be Mac on Genereal Hospital.. anyway...) that show wasnt half bad and would make a good flick.

However that Wolf Lake series

I think werewolf movies would make a good comeback in the horror gnere if we could just get a good one to spark up interest in this next generation as far as what I would like to see in one.. I am not to picky. I guess I am looking forward to Underworld see the other thread here

anyhoo.. I know Miss Mary L will post in this thread when she gets on, interested to see what she has to say.

Has anyone seen or heard anything about this movie?

Thinking of buying was just wondering if it is worth it or not...

I'm most interested in Dog Soldiers, in spite of (or perhaps because of) the fact that I don't know much about it. I remember seeing a thread for it on the Reviews page from months ago--but I'm too lazy and dumb to make a link for it.

And, Fr3aK, I definitely concur on Ginger Snaps. But you knew that already.

It seems sad but true that there would be so many werewolf movies out there and with the legend of it and the endless possibilites of horror themes that there are so few descent ones. The last one i watched was The Howling which was the final straw it was pathetic, as a bit of a camping fan, i always found the story of the human wolf scary, I am looking for the day that a film maker works with someone with the power to haunt minds (a great example would be Stephen King) and than creates a truely scary and terror film, which makes me afraid to turn off the light, i know that movie will come along, i just hope that i wont have to wait long.

Dude, Stephen King's already collaborated on a werewolf movie: Silver Bullet (Down, Matt! I'm not talking about you!). And it wasn't all that great--good, yes, but not great. Definitely not better than The Howling, which is one of the top two werewolf flicks ever made, the other being An American Werewolf in London. The Howling was groundbreaking in its makeup effects, which still look pretty damn cool, and it was well-written. Yeah, it's aged a bit, but it remains the king.

An American Werewolf in London is not only the greatest werewolf film-- nothing else is even close-- but it is a masterpiece of creative tone and twisted equilibrium. The balance between dark humor and utter horror in this superior fright film has never been equaled in motion picture history.

Modern horror films are all too afraid to take themselves seriously, and instead rely on teenage beauty queens, MTV soundtracks, and lame attempts at biting humor to temper what the creators think is a fair amount of terror. Modern horror films plain stink, with the exception of Blair Witch Project-- which is an authentic terror film.

Back with a bang!
I'm gonna revive this thread from the grave because I saw Dog Soldiers this weekend, and it was really cool. I just thougth I would recommend it to you guys. My favourite scene is when one of the soldiers has a fist-fight with a werewolf, hillarious!

Originally posted by Mary Loquacious
Dude, Stephen King's already collaborated on a werewolf movie: Silver Bullet (Down, Matt! I'm not talking about you!). And it wasn't all that great--good, yes, but not great. Definitely not better than The Howling, which is one of the top two werewolf flicks ever made, the other being An American Werewolf in London. The Howling was groundbreaking in its makeup effects, which still look pretty damn cool, and it was well-written. Yeah, it's aged a bit, but it remains the king.
If The Howling was the king than i think weve got things to be worried about. I must go see Silver bullet soon, i like Stephen Kings way of thought.

I love Silver Bullet even though it scared me to death when I was little…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I just got done watching Dog Soldiers . As far as indie horror flicks are concerned, this was a decent little movie. I recommend it.

Very solid acting throughout; very decent plot which never lost its momentum and always maintained its suspense; great cinematography; and plenty of action.

Cool film. It reminded me of Predator meets Southern Comfort meets a pack of werewolves.

What about 'Bad Moon' or the older ones like 'Curse of the Werewolf' or the original 'Wolfman'. If they seem too old and crummy theres always 'Wolf' with Jack Nicholson that is practically a remake of 'wolfman' and 'An American Werewolf in London' put together.

What about 'Company of Wolves'? I though it was a really good film.

Good call "Opus" BAD MOON is a great little werewolf film. Written and Directed by Eric Reid who did THE HITCHER, its well wortha look for a thoughtful piece of K9 cinema. The casting of Mariuel Hemingway and Micheal Pare is interesting because you can really see there giving it everything theyve got.

I too dug GINGER SNAPS which was an original take on a well worn genre.

DOG SOLDIERS is just great fun, delivers entertainment by the truckload and keeps me constantly amused.

AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON has to still be my fave it has the perfect mix of horror and comedy.

I do yearn for a pure, dark moody, unflinching and intimate portrait of a man going through the mental and physical transition into a wolf and back. If it can take itself seriously and have the brains to back it up there could be some solid entertainment had by all.

Originally posted by FiLm Fr3aK

Ginger Snaps, though lacking in the special effects area was an excellant movie, and would have been alot better had they had more money

There was a tv series a long time ago, seems I remember the guy would get that symbol on his hand before he changed... (He went on to be Mac on Genereal Hospital.. anyway...) that show wasnt half bad and would make a good flick.

However that Wolf Lake series

I think werewolf movies would make a good comeback in the horror gnere if we could just get a good one to spark up interest in this next generation as far as what I would like to see in one.. I am not to picky. I guess I am looking forward to Underworld see the other thread here

anyhoo.. I know Miss Mary L will post in this thread when she gets on, interested to see what she has to say.
If I'm thinking of the same thing, that tv show was just called Werewolf (back in the late 80s). It was a very good show. The werewolf designs were done by Rick Baker (who also did make up and effects on An American Werewolf in London).

Originally posted by Karl Childers
I just got done watching Dog Soldiers . As far as indie horror flicks are concerned, this was a decent little movie. I recommend it.

Very solid acting throughout; very decent plot which never lost its momentum and always maintained its suspense; great cinematography; and plenty of action.

Cool film. It reminded me of Predator meets Southern Comfort meets a pack of werewolves.

Dog Soldiers was excellent, especially Sean Pertwee as the Sgt.. It was also not a bad little military movie. The only other werewolf movie I thought was well done was Wolfen.

I, too, enjoyed Dog Soldiers--it was quirky and funny and did an excellent job with the atmosphere. The special effects were both spare and well-used.

One of my favorite bits: the werewolf's arm is in the door and they're trying to get the door closed, and one of the soldiers yells something to the effect of, "Bugger off! F*CK!"

About the only thing I didn't care for was the big ol' plothole about fifteen minutes from the end, which only seemed to exist so they could use one pithy little line about being a "b*tch."

Hardy har har. Whatever. Why is it with these newer werewolf flicks that they blow it at the end? Ginger Snaps had the same problem, but for different reasons.

Don't know if anyone remembers it, but Full Moon High by Larry Cohen is an engaging little lycanthropic comedy.

Other than that, I see that the other werewolf entries that I know of were mentioned prior to this post. I'll see if I remember something more.

All my favourites.....

Dog Soldiers

The Wolfen

The Company Of Wolves

An American Werewolf in London

Originally Posted by FiLm Fr3aK
Has anyone seen or heard anything about this movie?

Thinking of buying was just wondering if it is worth it or not...
I think GS ROCKS! A great story, acting and very-well directed. If you're gonna buy this one, though, STAY AWAY FROM THE US RELEASE!!!

The canadian has a lot of extra's and it's better picture and sound quality.

Go get it!