Pygmalion Type Films

Tools    

For those who don't know the Pygmalion myth, it's about a sculptor called Pygmalion who falls in love with his statue Galatea, and asks if she can be turned into a human. Many films have used the metaphor- a man (I can't really think of any example where it's a woman) takes a girl (often poor, plain, or uneducated) and transforms her into an 'ideal' woman. However the downside is that she often outgrows him.

I've watched:
Pygmalion
My Fair Lady
Anastasia (1956)
Educating Rita

Can you suggest any similar films?

Semper Fooey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_(1945_film)

Kiss Me Stupid

One of the best episodes of Get Smart has that plot.

There is at least one movie where the roles are reversed. The Love God with Don Knotts and and Ann Francis

And another, Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter with Tony Randall and Jayne Mansfield.

that's what she said...
I'm not sure if this really counts but in the movie CLUELESS the "popular" girls make the new girl in town into a totally hottie and all of a sudden all the attention is now on her... of course it ends happily though. I know that's not a guy transforming girl or girl transforming guy scenario... but also MEAN GIRLS comes to mind along with a similar take as Clueless... Hopefully I'm not way off!! I'm trying to think of some more along the line of a trye pygmalion themed film. Great idea OP.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
In many ways, almost every version of Cinderella is about this same plot. The main difference is that Cinderella basically sets up the beginning of the Pygmalion plot, and the latter carries it through. However, I would say that in some "continuations" of Cinderella that she may show the "Prince" and his family a thing or two.

Conversely, what about movies where a man is taken in and "reformed" by a rich woman or family. There are others, but the ones that got me thinking of this are Jean Renoir's Boudu Saved From Drowning and Paul Mazursky's remake Down and Out in Beverly Hills. It would be fun (and perhaps worthy of an essay or dissertation) to compare and contrast Pygmalion with these films.

By the way, I believe that Pygmalion and My Fair Lady are two of the greatest films ever made, most likely thanks to Shaw, but there are some good people involved with both films on screen and behind the camera.