Young Guns 1 vs Young Guns 2?

Tools    

Which movie was better?

For me Young Guns II is one of the greatest Western Movies of all time. Been doing a little bit of reading on this Brushy Bill Roberts fellow and I'm 80% sure he was not Billy the Kid.

I had the pleasure of watching the movie twice recently... and damn that movie kicks some serious @ss.

One thing I found interesting about Young Guns II and Pat Garret was when he was offered $500 to hunt down Billy the Kid... and $500 once he either killed him or brought him to justice.

Well... It appears that Pat Garrett had difficulties collecting that second payment of $500.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ollie_P._Roberts

Garrett refused to display the body (which was common practice) and would not allow photographs. He was initially unable to claim the reward money as he was unable to prove the indentity of the man killed. Following a meeting with members of the New Mexico Legislature, during which Garret reportedly paid $500 for alcohol, on February 18, 1882 the legislature voted to pass a law allowing the payment of the reward "for the arrest of Billy the Kid on or about August 1881".
other interesting facts:
Deputy John Poe later claimed that Garrett had killed the wrong man, and that they buried the body quickly to avoid discovery of this.

A. P. "Paco" Anaya claimed that the coroner's report was completely false, ordered by Pat Garrett and written by Pete Maxwell and Manuel Abreau.

John Poe, Jesus Silva, "Paco" Anaya, and several residents in Fort Sumner claim that the Milner Rudulph inquiry never took place, and was a complete fabrication by Garrett.

Justice Segura, said to have resided over the coroner's inquest, made no mention of it in his journals, odd in that Billy the Kid was one of the most famous outlaws in history.

Mrs. J. H. Wood, of Seven Rivers, New Mexico, claimed she served Billy the Kid dinner on July 17, 1881, three days after Garrett was alleged to have killed him.

Mrs. Syd Boykin, of Lincoln, claimed Billy the Kid, a friend to her family, visited with them after he was alleged to have been killed.
Manuel Taylor, a boyhood friend to Billy the Kid, claimed he ran into the Kid in Guadalajara, Mexico at a bullfight in 1914.

Ben Harbert, of Taos, New Mexico, an acquaintance of Billy the Kid, claimed to have met with him years after 1881.
Jesse Cox, a wagon driver, who knew Billy the Kid during his time in Lincoln, claimed that he met with him several times over a number of years after 1881.

Yginio Salazar, a member of the Lincoln County Regulators, claimed to have received a letter written by Billy the Kid years after the Fort Sumner shooting, detailing how he escaped.

John Graham, alias John Collins, who had ridden with Billy the Kid years before, claimed to have helped dig the grave that night, and that the body placed in it was not Billy the Kid.

In 1983, Elizabeth Garrett, daughter to Pat Garrett, claimed to interviewer
Paul Cain that her father did not kill Billy the Kid.

In 1990, the Billy the Kid tintype, a photo claimed to be of the Kid at age 12, a photo of Brushy at age 14, and a photo of Brushy at age 90 were analyzed by scientists using the most advanced photo comparison equipment of the day. The photo at age 12 was found to not be Billy. The Brushy aged 14 photo was a close match to the tintype and the Brushy aged 90 photo was a 93% match to the tintype. Dr. Bovik and Dr. Acton stated that age and dental work could easily account for the missing 7%

I think both Young Guns movies suck sweaty rhino nuts. Which got more of the left testicle and which more of the right, I couldn't rightly say. They're both just dreadful...though I guess if I had to choose one over the other I hate Young Guns II just a tad more for badly swiping Little Big Man's framing device.

But, you know: to each their own.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Which movie was better?

For me Young Guns II is one of the greatest Western Movies of all time. Been doing a little bit of reading on this Brushy Bill Roberts fellow and I'm 80% sure he was not Billy the Kid.
Gotta disagree with you on the merits of either Young Guns film--any film where the actors' arms flop up and down and you can see daylight between their butts and the saddles while they're riding is not a good Western. Plus neither picture comes within a mile of the real story of Billy the Kid.

But you are right in spotting "Brushy Bill" as a fake--as I recall, Brushy Bill was illiterate or nearly so, while the real Wm. Bonney was not only literate but eloquent in his letters to Gov. Lew Wallace.

The main thing you need to remember when picking through the meager history of Billy the Kid is that the kid was one of the best known western outlaws in the East, where they were writing stories and books about him, but comparatively unknown in the West, even in the area where he lived, because there were fewer newspapers, virtually no books, and a higher degree of illiteracy, especially in a predominately Spanish-speaking population of the Southwest. The only Old West outlaws who were really famous in their time were the James boys, not only because they committed (and were accused of) more robberies over more years in more populated regions of the east and North but because there was an ex-Confederate editor of a Missouri newspaper that wrote reams of copy defending the James gang.

In most of the short Lincoln County war, Billy was just one of several backshooters on both sides. Despite all the tales about him and Tunstill being good friends, Tunstill never once mentioned him in any of his many surviving letters. What put the kid on the map was when he killed 2 deputies and broke jail after being sentenced to death for murder. That's when they started writing stories about him back East in the penny-dreadfuls, but virtually no one was reading that stuff at that time in New Mexico and Garrett hunted him down and killed him soon after. He didn't kill anywhere close to 21 men and he bushwacked most of those he's known to have killed. There were others with far worse reputations as gunmen than he, including John Wesley Hardin who is more acurately credited with killing some 40 people.

I'm always suspicious of people like Poe who later decide to tell the "true" story that it wasn't the kid who was killed. That's the kind of story that will get people to pay attention and buy him drinks. There were enough hispanics and anglos, friends and enemies, who knew the kid by sight in that area and no one claimed at the time it wasn't his body. Plus the best argument that it was the kid that was killed is simply that he never surfaced again. Yeah, some people said they saw him, like some people still say they see Elvis. But the kid was big on revenge and there were still people walking around who had done him dirt. If he had lived, they would have ended up shot in the back on some lonely trail.

I think both Young Guns movies suck sweaty rhino nuts. Which got more of the left testicle and which more of the right, I couldn't rightly say. They're both just dreadful...though I guess if I had to choose one over the other I hate Young Guns II just a tad more for badly swiping Little Big Man's framing device.

But, you know: to each their own.

I get the sense that you might not care for these films..but then I'm super intuitive like that!

I happened to like 1 the best tho

I don't think Young Guns I or II come anywhere close to the 'greatest western of all time'... but they are fun movies... which is all I think they were ever meant to be...

Young Guns I -

Billy the Kid - Hey, Peppin. I see you got Charley Crawford down there.
Peppin - Yeah, that right. We got a whole… (Billy shoots Charlie)
Billy the Kid - Hey, Peppin… Charlie Crawford’s not with you anymore…

Young Guns II
-

Billy the Kid - Hello Bob! (Billy shoots Bob with dimes instead if bullets) Goodbye Bob! Best dollar eighty I ever spent.

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Young Guns 1 is best i guess coz it was totally original and has a great plot.
it was amazing story so i prefer young guns 1 instead young guns 2.