The Lone Ranger, gets stranger

Tools    

Who's ready to see Johnny Depp play Tonto in the upcoming Lone Ranger movie? Hee hee.

You know, they could make a really good and gritty Texas Ranger movie. Instead, I think we will get Camp with a capital C.

Registered Creature
Fabulous.

I have high hopes for this movie. I've been a Lone Ranger fan since the age of 3. The recent comics from Dynamite Entertainment have been excellent. Johnny Depp as Tonto has me a little concerned. So does the supernatural take of the "leaked" script summary I read a while back. Hopefully this will be a good western and not another blemish on the history of a great American character.

Semper Fooey
All the old western heroes they are turning into horror things. Didn't work for Jonah Hex (not supernatuaral in first comic book run) and it won't work for LR. If Johnny Depp is really playing Tonto it is a bad idea. Lone Ranger might be a dated concept best left to the past.

I have read few issues of the Dynamite series, really neat.

But I don't agree with the casting of Depp as Tonto, not that he couldn't pull off the role. But there are others who could play the role as well.

I think there is still life left in the Lone Ranger, but it has to be done just right. I'm not sure having Johnny Depp anywhere near the project is "just right." He is a decent actor, but this can't be the Lone Ranger and Jack Sparrow. The Dynamite comics have shown that this property can be done for a modern audience, and done well. Tonto can be the "faithful indian companion" without being a stereotype. The Ranger can live by his creed and not come off as cheesey. No supernatural elements involved. A straight western about the lone survivor of an ambush who decides to wear a mask and fight for justice. That's how it needs to be done.

Semper Fooey
If Depp plays Tonto it won't be a supporting role. And I doubt he would be playing it straight. Depp as the Ranger would make more sense, even though he is getting a lttle old for action hero.

Will.15 indeed stated it clearly. Let's hope Depp hears the potential criticism and offers us something unique. We don't want another "Alice" on our hands.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
A white guy playing an Indian.

really?

Graham Greene should be cast as the lone ranger maybe.

Semper Fooey
There was a time when it was rare when an actual Indian played an Indian in a movie. It is particularly bizarre for Depp to play Tonto because Tonto has always been played by an Indian on TV or television. The Injuns are going to be out there with their picket signs.

The Injuns are going to be out there with their picket signs.
That's an offensive term for native North Americans.

Pitt or Clooney for LR surely?

agree with madmike. James Marsden all the way!