Movies and tv shows with mixed morals

Tools    

I decided to start a thread about movies and tv shows in which the story undermines the overall moral.

The one example I can think of was an episode of Family Matters in which Steve Urkel is believed to have slept with a girl, garnering him respect with his tormentors. Laura then tells him to tell the truth, as she explains that girls are ostrisized for sexual activity. I realized that this sends a mixed message, in Steve's case he should be forthcoming and not give in to peer pressure, yet the girl should reclaim her honorability amognst the friends who tormented her in the first place about something that's no one else' right to judge regardless if it were true? Basically, girls should behave based on what their peers deem acceptable, but boys are exempt?

...uh the post is up there...

Basically, girls should behave based on what their peers deem acceptable, but boys are exempt?
yes

the heartbreak kid (the ben stiller one never saw the orignal so i dont know how diffent it is so note that i am refering to the ben stiller one)

I'd say that the movie Billy Jack falls into the above category.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I can still remember my in-laws thinking that The Simpsons (!!) was the most-godforsaken show ever created for TV. Their interpretation twenty years ago on up to just a few years ago was that it ridicules family, school, religion, hell... everything, and it does it with repulsive, jagged-edgish-looking characters (especially their heads!) who don't even remotely seem enjoyable to look at, let alone learn from. I tried for years to explain that they were looking at the show from the wrong side of the telescope, and then I just gave up. Eventually, they must have just also given up due to the show's longevity and popularity. I don't really think they believe it's any better, but perhaps attrition got to them. It's still my fave show of all-time, along with "All in the Family", and I'll be the first to say that "The Simpsons" borders on a remake of the earlier show, but that's OK for me. It gives me a sense of continuity.

their sevarl on family ties tv show. one is were alex works at
gerogcey storewith mr aldiend. hewant to make more money so he goes to this big 24 hour stor. hewas in charge of cats toys the workers all called tthem number 28. he goes back working for gerogecey owner.

Erm... What?

That episode, like most episodes of Family Ties and other 80's US sitcoms, showed Alex learning a lesson or moral. The morals aren't mixed. In this case, it was the big business and more money (i.e. Alex's capitalist dreams and drive) wasn't the be all and end all and that, without human interaction and common decency, the extra money and work didn't make the new job as appealing as the old one. There are other issues brought up in that episode, but the main thrust of the episode isn't sending a mixed message or moral. In fact, it's right on cue, per the whole series. Alex's 80's "greed is good" capitalism versus his parents hippy, liberal values. The same is true of Mallory focused episodes, where it's often Mallory's superficial, looks/glamour/popularity values versus her parents values of equality, non-discrimination and standing up for what you believe in.

One group of movies that I find are disingenuous in their morality are these Hollywood; "money can't buy love" schlock films. Example, any movie where the main character is a workaholic who finally sees the light and quits their high-paying job to spend more time with their wife/husband and/or kids. So far I haven't seen any of these movies cut to the family living in a ghetto as they scowl at the unemployed spouse.

In my opinion,different people live in different area get their own goal.But the material demand is the basic of everything.When the pop star tired with the high light life they will look for the peace life like normal citizen

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
In my opinion,different people live in different area get their own goal.But the material demand is the basic of everything.When the pop star tired with the high light life they will look for the peace life like normal citizen
What!? Confucius say...He who speaks without modesty will find it difficult to make his words good.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
One group of movies that I find are disingenuous in their morality are these Hollywood; "money can't buy love" schlock films. Example, any movie where the main character is a workaholic who finally sees the light and quits their high-paying job to spend more time with their wife/husband and/or kids. So far I haven't seen any of these movies cut to the family living in a ghetto as they scowl at the unemployed spouse.
There are possibilities between workaholism and unemployment, I hope.

There are possibilities between workaholism and unemployment, I hope.
I am referring to movies like RV, in which the family acts in complete opposition to him having a job, and what's more act as if him trying to make a living for his family is some horribly selfish act.

I just remembered another example, Spider-man 3. The movie keeps trying to show us that Peter is being self-centered, yet it is M.J. who is consumed with her acting career, or lack their of, and is envious of Peter's success.