'01 vs. '00 Better year for movies?

Tools    

Guy
Which year was better film wise? I'm not quite sure. From 2000 my favorites included Cast Away, Dancer in the Dark, Almost Famous, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Traffic, and Amores Perros.

In '01 my favorites were Fellowship of the Ring, Memento, Vanilla Sky, Mulhulland Drive, Royal Tenenbaums, Moulin Rouge!, A.I., Blow, Monsters, Inc, Amelie.

I think 2001 was the superior year; what do you guys think?

Not sure if this is the right forum

i think 2000 was a great year for film, but than again so was 2001, but a big part of it is that CTHD and traffic are included in 2000.

Almost Famous, Princess Mononoke, traffic, CTHD those are 4 (in my opinion) truly great films. the best of 2000

Of the alltime greats of 2001, only Mememto and Brotherhood of the wolf, but amelie and royal tenebaums, vanilla sky, and well actually most of what Guy listed (save muholland drive) were all great films.

So i think that 2000 and 2001 were equal in greatness, and i wont be dissapointed if 2002 is just as good.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Most critics seem to think that 2001 was a weaker year than last but I disagree. Last year's successes I think have already begun to fade. I think 2001 could be the more memorable.

Almost Famous. I loved it when it came out. I have watched it a dozen times now. It's very special to me. But it's no classic. It's overly nostalgic and too cute sometimes.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. I enjoyed this when it came out but I felt it was overrated. I stand by this. A year down the line, who's talking about CTHD? 4 years later and people are still talking about Life is Beautiful for example. So that was the better foreign film.

Traffic. The one great movie from 2000.

Gladiator. A lot of good (Russell Crowe, Oliver Reed) and a lot of bad (Joaquin Phoenix).

2001 has had
Gosford Park - an Altman classic.
A.I. - a flawed, but genuinely interesting Spielberg movie.
Memento - a movie that will surely start a trend.
Monsters Inc. - another classic from Pixar
Moulin Rouge - like it or not, it will surely rejuvanate the lost art of the musical and that can only be a good thing.
Amelie - try to fit this movie into a genre. I've heard it called sci-fi which is ridiculous but strangely applicable.
Harry Potter - the beginning of the world's most commercially successful franchise. There are 7 FILMS, surely they will together outgross Star Wars or...
Lord of the Rings - destined to be a family classic for years to come.

&The first great movie year I ever experienced as a movie lover was 1999. But, I wasn't old enough to get into the majority of the films, so it didn't mean much to me (one day ask me about the American Beauty saga).

Last year was full of great movies, movies that I genuinley really enjoyed. One of my favorite movies is from 2000, Traffic. Now, at the same time, the Academy gave Gladiator the Oscar (at least Sodebergh got director). It soured 2000 for me, hence being biased towards 2001 from the get go.

But purely movie wise, 2001 had a lot of films that I have one my list as great. Which says something, because 2000 had considerably less. At the same time, not all of the 2001 films have been released here for me yet.

A.I: Artificial Intelligence
Moulin Rouge
Vanilla Sky
Monsters, Inc.
&
Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring

are enough for me to clearly define 2001 as the better year (for me, personally). I still haven't seen Gosford Park, Mulholland Drive, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Man Who Wasn't There, Amelie, In the Bedroom, A Beautiful Mind or Waking Life -- all films I expect to enjoy immensley.

So. 2001 or 2000?
For me, at least, the better year was 2001.

My God, what a stupid question. 2001. Please us, Jesus.

Gladiator won Best Picture in 2000, which is obviously disgusting. The even more disgusting thing is: It may have deserved it.

With the obvious exception of Crouching Tiger.

This year was an AMAZING year for film. Next topic?

B&W
yeah, i'd have to agree 2001 was better

I thought 2001 was.