Do you smell what The Rock is cookin'?

Tools    

I'm talking about Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.

Believe it or not, I'm a big fan of Pro Wrestling. I mainly like TNA these days, but back when it was huge I used to love the WWF.

The Rock was by far my favourite, I loved the guy. He was a great performer in the ring, and an even better entertainer outside of the ring. When he made the jump to Hollywood I was pretty dissapointed, cause I knew he wouldn't be as good an actor as he was a wrestler. The Rock was the best in the business, but although wrestling does involve performing, being a wrestler is nothing like being an actor.

I noticed his latest movie The Game Plan is topping the US box office at the moment, and I was just wondering what you all thought of him as an actor and as a Hollywood personality.

So if you never saw him in wrestling, what do you think of him? And if you used to watch him in WWF, what do you think about his career switch? When he first started doing movies people were calling him the new Arnie. I don't think we ever needed a new Arnie, but what do you think?

The Rock's movies so far...

The Mummy Returns
The Scorpion King
The Rundown
aka Welcome to the Jungle
Walking Tall
Be Cool
Doom
Southland Tales
The Game Plan

He'll be in the upcoming Get Smart too.

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright
Its really pretty funny how his movie career is mirroring Arnie's (right down to Arnie doing the "passing of the torch" cameo in The Rundown), and its probably a fair bet that its not by chance either.

As for what I think of his film career... I think he's doing pretty good, he is spreading the roles around like he should, and not really taking himself TOO seriously. The only thing he needs to cement himself as a star is "his" Terminator. I'd guess he thought his roles as the scorpion king were going to be it, but I don't think they were/are. They just didn't have quite the same impact.

Before I judge his career i'm going to wait till Southland Tales comes out cause that may just make me like his acting a bit better from what i've seen of the trailer.

The Reaping 7/10
Transformers 8.5/10
Flight of the Living Dead 6/10
The Invisible 6/10
Return to House on Haunted Hill 1/10
Planet Terror 8/10
A Mighty Heart 7/10

I never liked him in WWF when there was the whole fad of wrestling, he was one of my least favourites. As an actor, i've always stuck up for him, i think he's better than he deserves to be and if anyone were to succeed Arnie i wouldn't mind it being him. He's struck the right balance with charismatic hero and action star so never really been particularly wooden in anything. Though he's not really had many straining roles but i think they've been balanced enough, even if the films themselves weren't that great. I think in Doom playing the bad guy was a strong move and hopefully will avoid a degree of typecasting, and hopefully he won't go the Vin Diesel way and jump on the comedy bandwagon too soon. I hope he doesn't try and test his acting chops with anything too serious and stick to the PG-13 (i guess what they're called in America) action movies.

I love the Rock and his charisma still translates no matter what he's doing. I want to see him in Southland Tales too but I'd love to see him in a kickass old Eddie Murphy type movie, with the swearing and the bullets and the OH MY!

Certifiably troglodytic.
I like him too...his is a commanding persona and presence in most of his films. I don't know if he's yet had his signature installment as Memnon suggested and I feel he needs to find something that will stretch him and add a little more dimension and depth.

I am half agony, half hope.
His acting as a wrestler was horrible, but as a film actor, he has shown some ability in comedies. His face is very expressive and lends itself to comedy readily. I didn't even bother going to see Gridiron Gang because of the serious tone of the movie. I like him in light-hearted fare, but he could someday choose a great role and persuade me to see him as a serious actor.

Johann von Goethe