Movie Magazines

Tools    

have you visited witchy today???
hi all,

just wondering if you guys buy a movie magazine or magazines???

if so, what one(s) would you recomend???

thanks

monkey business

It really depends very much on what kind of information you're interested in.

If you just want a basic rag that has previews of upcoming releases and such, something like Premiere will do fine. But there's also Fade In, Entertainment Weekly, Empire (UK) and Total Film (UK). If you want more serious and in-depth reviews, Film Comment, Cineaste, Film Quarterly or Sight & Sound (UK) are all good. If you're interested in making movies as much or more than watching them, MovieMaker is a good one as well as Filmmaker. If you want to concentrate more on writing there's Creative Screenwriting and Script. If you want to be a D.P., American Cinematographer is great. If you just plain want the industry news without many bells, whistles or much commentary there's Variety and The Hollywood Reporter. If you're more narrowly interested in specific genres there's stuff like Cinescape, Fangoria and Shock Cinema. And there are at least a dozen more film related magazines out there to choose from.

Lots. I probably buy upwards of six to ten a month, myself. My advice would be to go to your local bookstore or magazine shop and leaf through or even buy a few, see which you like best as far as content and format. But there are too many varities of "movie magazine" to blanketly recommend one over any of the others. As I say, it really depends on what you want out of it.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I am having a nervous breakdance
I would like to recommend the Sweden based site/magazine Film International or filmint. with url address www.filmint.nu.

From the "about" section:

"Film International focuses on longer essays with in-depth-analysis, but it also features interviews, festival reports and an extensive review section on books, special DVD editions and films at the cinema.

In late 2004, Film International underwent a minor re-organization, and is now functioning as a non-profit cultural organization, dedicated to promoting intellectual film culture through our printed magazine and its online equivalent".

Cover of the latest issue:

It's basically more of a film theory magazine than a movie magazine.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Mutha' effin'.... uh... effin'... the one called independent filmmaker and film comment. That's of course because I'm a yankee american that effin' likes dope pictures and rad words formed into rad'tarded articles. Check em' out yo'.

Wurd'
- DaShizzle' Fo' Rizzle'
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

have you visited witchy today???
thank you for the replys

i'll have a look in the local newsagents for some of the titles suggested and see which one i like

cheers