Depp in "Sweeney Todd"

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I think the combination of Depp, Burton, and SWEENEY TODD (one of my personal favorite musicals!) is making me giddy!

Depp to Star in Burton's 'Sweeney Todd'

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Johnny Depp is going from woozy buccaneer to murderous barber.

Depp is reuniting with director Tim Burton ("Charlie and the Chocolate Factory") to play the title role in a film adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's musical "Sweeney Todd," about a 19th-century barber seeking bloody revenge over his wrongful imprisonment.

The star of "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," this year's biggest hit with a domestic gross of $400 million, is expected to do his own singing, said Marvin Levy, spokesman for DreamWorks, which is co-producing "Sweeney Todd" with Warner Bros.

"Sweeney Todd" marks the sixth collaboration between Depp and Burton, who scored a blockbuster in summer 2005 with "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," in which the actor played the reclusive candyman Willy Wonka.

Their other films together are "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride," "Edward Scissorhands," "Ed Wood" and "Sleepy Hollow."

The filmmakers plan to start shooting "Sweeney Todd" early in 2007.

They'd better do the musical version! It's the music that MAKES that play, don'tcha think? And, Burton's not afraid of music in his movies.

I'm hoping, I'm hoping!

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Can't see it being a musical, but i'm excited anyway!
Hope it's better than their last collaboration........................

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
Hope it's better than their last collaboration........................
Me to

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
this is good news and consider me in line for tickets.

Ditto....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy Sweeney Todd minus the music. I mean, it's good and it's funny ... but some of the best stuff and ambiance comes from the music, which is chilling in some spots. Maybe SOME of the music...?? (please?)

Nebbs, that new avvie is ... interesting (as usual).

Originally Posted by Austruck
I think the combination of Depp, Burton, and SWEENEY TODD (one of my personal favorite musicals!) is making me giddy!

Depp to Star in Burton's 'Sweeney Todd'

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Johnny Depp is going from woozy buccaneer to murderous barber.

Depp is reuniting with director Tim Burton ("Charlie and the Chocolate Factory") to play the title role in a film adaptation of Stephen Sondheim's musical "Sweeney Todd," about a 19th-century barber seeking bloody revenge over his wrongful imprisonment.

The star of "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," this year's biggest hit with a domestic gross of $400 million, is expected to do his own singing, said Marvin Levy, spokesman for DreamWorks, which is co-producing "Sweeney Todd" with Warner Bros.

"Sweeney Todd" marks the sixth collaboration between Depp and Burton, who scored a blockbuster in summer 2005 with "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," in which the actor played the reclusive candyman Willy Wonka.

Their other films together are "Tim Burton's Corpse Bride," "Edward Scissorhands," "Ed Wood" and "Sleepy Hollow."

The filmmakers plan to start shooting "Sweeney Todd" early in 2007.
ohh i am sooo excited, i am a huge fan of johnny depp, and his movies!!
Just a dog? Porthos dreams of being a bear, and you want to shatter those dreams by saying he's just a dog? What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That's like saying, "He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man", or "That's not a diamond, it's just a rock." Just.

Movie Forums Member
I think that Depp is the perfect actor for this role. I can't wait for it to come out.

it's listed as a MUSICAL.

I always wanted to see this remade/juxtaposed onto the big screen.
How could it not be a musical? That would be like trying to produce a remake of Grease and it not being a musical. I hope it is good though, I love the story.

I am with you Aus", it would have to be a musical to be true to the origin.

Sweeney Todd with Johnny Depp would be so cool. I image it would not have the music. But if anyone can pull it off it would be Mr. Depp and Tim Burton.

Nebbs, just on the reminder of reading this article, I remembered that the soundtrack I have is on vinyl (no working turntable here at the moment), so I dashed off to Amazon and ordered the DVD of the televised "staged" version of the play (with Angela Lansbury and George Hearn, who is just mesmerizing as Sweeney) and also the 2005 Revival cast recording on CD. So I sat and watched the DVD yesterday and just can't WAIT for the movie. And I'm listening to the soundtrack nonstop.

I first saw this play live in an outdoor theater in the park here in western Pa. decades ago, and was so enthralled with it that I got the soundtrack immediately. It was staged a lot like the DVD, with a revolving multifunction stage unit. Use Netflix or some other service to SEE this thing. Waiting another year or more is too long! Plus, I like having the Hearn/Len Cariou versions in my head.

I haven't a clue how Depp will play this part, but I hope he doesn't stray too far from the heart of the role. Hearn is dead-on brilliant in his version.

Okay, I'll shut up now. I'm just all giddy about this news, can you tell?

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! I'm so stoked that they're doing it as a musical!
Without the music, it's just another tale of a serial killer, and who doesn't live next door to one of those? With the music, it's creepy, eerie, beautifully tongue in cheek. I think Depp has the stuff for this role. I can't wait to see what they do with the whole thing.

Produced By:
John Logan, Laurie MacDonald, Richard Zanuck, Walter Parkes
Written By:
John Logan
Directed By:
Tim Burton
Genre:
Musical
Other Genres:
Thriller, Crime
Studio:
Paramount Pictures
Production Company:
Warner Bros. Pictures
Language:
English
Music By:
Stephen Sondheim

BEAUTIFUL!

Nebbs, I dashed off to Amazon and ordered the DVD of the televised "staged" version of the play (with Angela Lansbury and George Hearn, who is just mesmerizing as Sweeney) and also the 2005 Revival cast recording on CD.
Thanks Austruck, I have found one on Fetch Movies here in Australia. It is the version with Neil Patrick Harris, George Hearn, Patti LuPone, Davis Gaines, Victoria Clark, Timothy Nolen, John Aler, Lisa Vroman, Stanford Olsen, in it so I will give it a go.

Well, THAT version, I must warn you, is a minimalist set that's called "semi-staged." It still has Hearn in it, but it's kinda like watching them try to perform the show in front of a symphony orchestra.

Not sure that's the copy you want. Same great music and singing (LuPone is great), but very different "staging" in that one. It's more about the music.... If Fetch Movies is like Netflix (renting), then go ahead and give it a whirl. (Do you know the music?)

At one one Nolen played the title role in other productions (I think he's Turpin in this one).

I love this musical... i havnt been a huge fan of Depp....but I think it will be intresting to see how he does.

We were away for the rainy weekend so I brought the DVD with me and watched it two or three times while cooped up indoors. By about the third viewing, though, hubby said, "Geez, whatever all that music is, it's enough to drive you crazy!"

I just grinned and sighed and said, "Yeah, I know."