Rachel McAdams: a skilled actress?

Tools    

I don't know if you consider Rachel McAdams underrated, but I'm in love with this girl. She stole the show in "Mean Girls" and she held "Red Eye" together. That movie only was decent because of the good acting. I've gone to imdb.com and she doesn't have any upcoming films listed. She really must choose her movies carefully. I think Rachel has the ability to disappear into roles, which is what I love about her. She's not like an actor like Julia Roberts who seems the same in all her movies.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
I really like Rachel McAdams a lot. I thought she did a fantastic acting job in "Wedding Crashers" and that's a genre that is hard to get noticed for good acting. She was really good in that.

Originally Posted by BobbyB
I really like Rachel McAdams a lot. I thought she did a fantastic acting job in "Wedding Crashers" and that's a genre that is hard to get noticed for good acting. She was really good in that.
Exactly! She can take whatever she's given and she makes it mean something. She makes it credible.

Rachel is also very good co-starring in the Canadian television show "Slings & Arrows", which is coming to R1 DVD in June. Very funny series about a theatre company, starring Paul Gross ("Due South"). If you've ever participated in theatre, as a kid or high school or summer stock or whatever, either on stage or behind the scenes, "Slings & Arrows" is a must-see. It was the first thing I noticed Rachel in, as part of an excellent cast. It airs on The Sundance Channel here in the lower forty-eight, and I can't hardly wait to scoop up the DVD set.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
i really like her, too. i think she is pretty talented at playing different types of characters. and she's hot...

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Holden, ["Slings & Arrows"] sounds fun. Is it at all like Waiting for Guffmann?
Well, not too much, no.

These are real professional actors, though some more professional than others. The first season is about the longtime, beloved director of the theatre (Stephen Ouimette) dying, and his former star (Paul Gross) who went quite nuts years ago - on-stage during a production of Hamlet, returning to take the reigns for another production of that Shakespeare play. He keeps seeing and having conversations with the dead man's ghost. He also has to contend with his old flame (Martha Burns) who still acts in the company, a behind-the-scenes power play to take control of the theatre with "Kids in the Hall"er Mark McKinney being led astray by a manipulative climber (Jennifer Irwin), a flighty experimental director (Don McKellar) and being saddled with a young Hollywood star who has never done any stage acting in his life (Luke Kirby) as his Hamlet. Rachel McAdams is a young hopeful who has just gotten into the company as a supporting player but quickly moves up the ranks...and starts a romance with the movie star.

It's all very soap operaish in plotting, but it's got a very dry and droll sense of humor, with well written characters inhabited by a whole bunch of good actors. I love it. The second season is airing now on Sundance.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
And you get to see her topless in My Name Is Tanino

Suspect's Reviews

Aha! THAT'S who she is. This chick keeps reappearing and stealing the show, and for some strange reason, I managed to watch the Notebook and the Wedding Crashers in the same night (dont ask).

No 1 - she looks like a more attractive version of Jennifer Garner to me.

No 2 - I think most of her roles have a similar personality trait (but then I've only seen 2 of her movies for sure, and maybe a 3rd). Think about it: In Notebook, she was a pretty young thing who defied her parents and took what she wanted. Good at heart? Certainly, as she goes off with her parents, nurses the wounded and treasures her desire to "real" love down in her heart.

Fast forward in time to the modern Wedding Crashers - she was still a defiant looker who laughed at her (sister? friend?) while she stood ON THE DIAS during the girl's wedding! She then completely scorns them in her toast. Defiant? Certainly. Good at heart? Yepper - somewhere down in there she's secretly (??) taking emotional abuse from the Sackmeister, "searching" for herself (shades of the nurse in Notebook), and secretly hoping for true love....[/sap]

Sum? Same character, different era.

She was also given the part of Sue Storm before Jessical Alba and also WonderWoman I believe. Would prefer her as the Invisible girl over Alba any day. That girl really annoys me. Terrible actress too.

Originally Posted by Escape
She was also given the part of Sue Storm before Jessical Alba and also WonderWoman I believe. Would prefer her as the Invisible girl over Alba any day. That girl really annoys me. Terrible actress too.
I don't see her as a terrible actress, Alba that is, but she seems to always be posing for the camera. Doesn't look natural.

Anyway, back to Rachel....

I haven't seen her in many movies, very few in fact. She definitely held her own in Red Eye, though I don't think she "made the movie"; Cillian Murphy entertained me equally. Hopfully she will obtain some rolls that will get her some recognition and better rolls from there on in.

Why did Rachel turn down the role of Sue Storm? Because I know she would have brought something believable to the role. Jessica Alba is like a mannequin. She's gotten where she is based on her looks. She's like a cult figure, as far as horny guys goes. LOL She's hot no doubt, but her acting skill is not hot.

By the way, Mack, Rachel played the queen of mean in "Mean Girls" opposite Linsday Lohan, and she played a loveable pushover in "Red Eye." She really seems like a gentle person. It amazes me how she can be a believably mean young girl in "Mean Girls" and then be a super nice woman in "Red Eye." I like what Rachel had to say in regards to her acting method: "If you think it, most likely you will show it." That's simple and to the point, sums it up so well.

And I don't know why none of you fans have mentioned it yet, but Rachel also steals The Family Stone away from a bunch of better known actors and actresses. That was just released on R1 DVD a couple weeks ago for anybody who missed it around the holidays in the theaters.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike

And I don't know why none of you fans have mentioned it yet, but Rachel also steals The Family Stone away from a bunch of better known actors and actresses. That was just released on R1 DVD a couple weeks ago for anybody who missed it around the holidays in the theaters.
Oh yeah, how could I forget. I read that Rachel was so in the zone with her character Amy Stone that even when the director screamed cut, she was saying "you bitch, you whore" during the scene when the family plays charades. It was funny as hell.

McAdams was considered for the role of Sue Storm, but she wasn't ever cast or made an offer. This Fantastic 4 project bounced around in pre-production for years, flirting with the prospect of many directors and different actors. McAdams was thought of along the way for Invisible Girl, sure, but so were Kate Bosworth (Superman Returns), Elizabeth Banks (The 40-Year-Old Virgin), Julia Stiles and plenty of other young actresses. However McAdams was never "given the part".

As for Wonder Woman, Joss Whedon hasn't even completed his script yet, much less cast the role and had anybody, including Rachel, turn it down. As for who he's looking for, "It would be great to find somebody new. It’s a very tough role and it’s a very specific role, so I can’t think of anybody off hand who’s right for it, so I’d like to meet her." McAdams is a good young actress, but she's also a wee thing at only 5'5" - hardly a statuesque Amazonian warrior.

But rumors are great!

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
My vote goes to Beckinsale for Wonder Woman.
Yes, now that you mention her, she would be an excellent choice to play Wonder Woman. She has that whole vibe, but then again it's about who best can play her and if Kate Beckinsale were to play Wonder Woman, I hope her accent would sound authentically American. However, sometimes it's not always about who best fits the part physically, but who best fits the part skill-wise.

Originally Posted by kinglear
Yes, now that you mention her, she would be an excellent choice to play Wonder Woman. She has that whole vibe, but then again it's about who best can play her and if Kate Beckinsale were to play Wonder Woman, I hope her accent would sound authentically American. However, sometimes it's not always about who best fits the part physically, but who best fits the part acting wise.

Originally Posted by *~*SilverScreen*~*
I don't see her as a terrible actress, Alba that is, but she seems to always be posing for the camera. Doesn't look natural.
She makes me wanna gag. Some parts she comes accross as 'ok' but the majority of her actin, I feel i'm watching some 8th grader in a highschool play.

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect
My vote goes to Beckinsale for Wonder Woman.
She knocked that rumour down though. She said she's not ready to commit to a comic hero role that can last a decade and may later. Only problem is, she's 29 and aint getting any younger so i'm not sure how much later she means.