Rent Me

Tools    

I think an interesting thread would be one in which people could ask for suggestions on which movie to rent/netflix/pay-per-view etc...When asking for a suggestion, please specify which genre you are looking for. Please come back and comment on the rental after you have viewed it.

I will start off, I am looking for a good early 90s comedy. Suggestions Please

Originally Posted by thefreedvds.com
I think an interesting thread would be one in which people could ask for suggestions on which movie to rent/netflix/pay-per-view etc...When asking for a suggestion, please specify which genre you are looking for. Please come back and comment on the rental after you have viewed it.
We have something quasi-similar here:

MoFo-Netflix Circle of Love

Well, I don't use Netflix, so I'll just give you some suggestions.

Early '90s comedies.

You haven't posted much, so other than hating Napoleon Dynamite I don't have any idea what your comedic taste is. I'll just list some of my favorites from that period (which I'll define as the first four years of the decade, '90-'93)...
  • Quick Change (1990 - Howard Franklin & Bill Murray)
    One of my favorites, and massively underrated. Bill Murray, Geena Davis and Randy Quaid star as a trio of bank robbers in Manhattan. They manage to elude the police and get out of the bank with the loot, but then find it nearly impossible to get to the airport because the city swallows them up.
  • Joe vs. the Volcano (1990 - John Patrick Shanley)
    This movie has a lously reputation, but it is a delightful, smart and twisted modern romantic fable starring Tom Hanks as a man with a crummy job and a boring life who is diagnosed with a terminal illness and decides to leap into a volcano for a rich businessman. Along the way he finds out what it means to be alive and in love.
  • The Freshman (1990 - Andrew Bergman)
    Smart bit of fun about a college student (Matthew Broderick) who gets mixed up with a shady Italian man who looks like The Godfather (Marlon Brando, marvelously sending up his own performance). Komodo Dragons, rouge FBI agents, deranged chefs, film school and an arranged marriage follow.
  • Defending Your Life (1991 - Albert Brooks)
    I love Albert Brooks (see THIS thread), and this movie is his sweetest and most accessible. He plays a man who dies in a car crash and finds himself in a weird afterlife weigh station where everybody must look at the scope of their lives and have judges decide if they are ready to move on or must return to Earth for reincarnation. Rip Torn is hysterical, and Meryl Streep shows she has the touch for Romantic Comedy.
  • L.A. Story (1991 - Mick Jackson)
    Zany but intelligent loveletter to the City of Angels and the magic of love by Steve Martin, who stars as a semi-successful weatherman with relationship problems, aided by fate and a talking freeway sign. A great modern fantasy, with plenty of bellylaughs too.
  • Blood & Concrete: a love story (1991 - Jeffrey Reiner)
    A dark comedy about a low-level thief (Billy Zane) mixed up with a manic depressive beauty (Jennifer Beals), some dangerous if cartoonish drug dealers pushing a new Spanish Fly, a tired old detective (Darren McGavin) on their trail and other oddball denizens of Los Angeles. It might be called a stylized Tarantino-ish comedy if not for the fact that it pre-dates both Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.
  • Hear My Song (1991 - Peter Chelsom)
    Endearing and fun Irish comedy about a small-time nightclub owner (Adrian Dunbar) who screws things up so badly with his girlfriend (Tara Fitzgerald) that he must go on a quest to find a legendary Tenor (Ned Beatty) from the '50s who disappeared decades ago and convince him to come out of retirement.
  • Bob Roberts (1992 - Tim Robbins)
    Clever political satire, and now a few national election cycles later still very timely and on-target. Amazing all-star cast, many of whom appear in cameos. If you're a Bob Dylan fan in particular, the bastardized album covers for Roberts' music (like The Times Are Changing Back) plus the video for "Wall Street Rap" are worth the price of a rental alone. Robbins made this between starring in The Player and Short Cuts, and the Robert Altman influence on him is obvious and well done.
  • Hero (1992 - Stephen Frears)
    Also known as Accidental Hero in the U.K., Dustin Hoffman stars as a scuzzy little loser who is apparently amoral and opportunistic, but when a commercial airplane crashlands he finds himself a reluctant hero. However, another man (Andy Garcia) takes credit for the bravery, and because Hoffman's character is such a scum nobody believes his assertions that he's the stand-up guy they're looking for.
  • White Men Can't Jump (1992 - Ron Shelton)
    Fun adult comedy about a couple of playground basketball hustlers (Woody Harrelson & Wesley Snipes) and their uneasy partnership. The sports and gambling aspects are credible, but it's the characters and dialogue that are the attraction, including a subplot about Harrelson's girlfriend (Rosie Perez) and her dream to be a contestant on "Jeopardy".
  • Groundhog Day (1993 - Harold Ramis)
    Another smart fantasy, this one about a sarcastic and jaded weatherman (Bill Murray) who finds himself stuck in a small town doomed to repeat the exact same day over and over again...doomed until he decides to take it as a unique opportunity to better himself as a human being.

With the exception of Blood & Concrete, all of those movies are available on R1 DVD. Also check out THIS thread for more '90s comedy suggestions.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
Ok, well I'm a guy who loves powerful movies. Not "Tear Jerkers" per se, but stuff like American History X and Braveheart. Stuff that really hits you hard. A movie you'll never forget because it's so powerful. I have NetFlix, so I want to know what movies you guys would suggest like that.

Thanks Holden, going to check out Blood & Concrete and possible Quick Change as well.

Bobby, in no particular order, I would suggest:

The Boondock Saints
Crash
Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels
Kids

Originally Posted by BobbyB
Ok, well I'm a guy who loves powerful movies. Not "Tear Jerkers" per se, but stuff like American History X and Braveheart. Stuff that really hits you hard. A movie you'll never forget because it's so powerful. I have NetFlix, so I want to know what movies you guys would suggest like that.
Fist of the Northstar

And.

Lawrence of Arabia

Two intense movies that aim for the eyes.

I will start off, I am looking for a good early 90s comedy. Suggestions Please
Here's one from '91 that I enjoyed.

Plot: Dan Merrick comes out from a shattering car accident with amnesia. He finds that he is married to Judith who is trying to help him start his life again. He keeps getting flashbacks about events and places that he can't remember. He meets pet shop owner and part time private detective Gus Klein who is supposedly done some work for him prior to the accident. Klein helps Merrick to find out more about his past and true identity.

Anyone else who knows of any, let me know. I love the feeling of experiencing a powerful movie for the first time
Have you seen Do The Right Thing? That's a very powerful movie that really hit me hard after my first viewing. So did Raging Bull.

Léon
Rob Roy
Glory
Taxi Driver

And, I second The Boondock Saints...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Escape
Here's one from '91 that I enjoyed.

Plot: Dan Merrick comes out from a shattering car accident with amnesia. He finds that he is married to Judith who is trying to help him start his life again. He keeps getting flashbacks about events and places that he can't remember. He meets pet shop owner and part time private detective Gus Klein who is supposedly done some work for him prior to the accident. Klein helps Merrick to find out more about his past and true identity.
Uh heheh, deny that movie I suggested there. Missed the word comedy you asked for.

• The Long Good Friday (1980 - John Mackenzie)
  • Blow Out (1981 - Brian DePalma)
  • To Live & Die in L.A. (1985 - William Friedkin)
  • Flesh + Blood (1985 - Paul Verhoeven)
  • Salvador (1986 - Oliver Stone)
  • The Hitcher (1986 - Robert Harmon)
  • Angel Heart (1987 - Alan Parker)
  • Five Corners (1988 - Tony Bill)
  • The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989 - Peter Greenaway)
  • Miracle Mile (1989 - Steve DeJarnatt)
  • Q&A (1990 - Sidney Lumet)
  • State of Grace (1990 - Phil Joanou)
  • Bad Lieutenant (1992 - Abel Ferrara)
  • One False Move (1992 - Carl Franklin)
  • Carlito's Way (1993 - Brian DePalma)
  • Naked (1993 - Mike Leigh)
  • Shallow Grave (1994 - Danny Boyle)
  • Fresh (1994 - Boaz Yakin)
  • Death & the Maiden (1994 - Roman Polanski)
  • Romeo is Bleeding (1994 - Peter Medak)
  • Normal Life (1996 - John McNaughton)
  • The Butcher Boy (1998 - Neil Jordan)
  • Requiem for a Dream (2000 - Darren Aronofsky)
  • Narc (2002 - Joe Carnahan)

Uh heheh, deny that movie I suggested there. Missed the word comedy you asked for.

Looks like a good flick. Might check it out anyway.

Looks like a good flick. Might check it out anyway.
Ok. yeah it is a movie not too well known so I usually recommend it.

Ok. yeah it is a movie not too well known so I usually recommend it.
From the plot it seems a little like Momento. What do you think?

From the plot it seems a little like Momento. What do you think?
Similar cause he's trying to piece together about his missing past but different in that he doesnt keep forgetting what he's learned during the time he is investigating it. Also has a nice twist going on there.

Blood & Concrete was a great movie. Thanks for the recomendation holden

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Altered States
The Fly
The Dead Zone
Mean Creek
Oldboy / Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance
Memories of Murder
Last Life in the Universe
The Corporation