TheDOMINATOR's Top 100 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

I doubt either Mark or myself will be doing any "hating" on your Blair Witch choice. This is your list and like I said before these are your personal favorites. Despite the fact that I think both Mark and I think its a waste of film, its still up to you to decide if you think its listworthy, obviously you do. More power to ya. TUS, definitely hit it on the head when he mentioned the marketing thing. What they did was pure brilliance. It's not like I don't have a few real clunkers on my list as well... because I do. I still love them though.

Have you seen E.T.? I'm curious because with your inclusion of Bridge to Terebithia I wonder just how many other "family" type films you've seen of that ilk. Again ,this is what I find so fun about these things. I know you're very passionate about the movie now, but I wonder how well it will hold up after another ten years of movie watching.

Anyway... good stuff. Do finish it off won't you?

I have not seen E.T. but I likely will in the future, one of these days. I'm in no big rush to, though. I'm not big into fantasy-type movies; I don't care much for the LOTR films and I wasn't a huge fan of Narnia, but Bridge to Terabithia just clicks with me (which is a vast understatement). I don't even consider Bridge to Terabithia a fantasy, because...well, it's not--it only appears to be on the surface.

Also, I wasn't speaking negatively about Mark or anybody else who may "hate" on my choice to include The Blair Witch Project in my list (I don't even think I used that word: "hating"). I just meant that not a lot of us here, from my observations, are fans of it, so I wanted to further point out my unique-ness, I suppose. I'm sorry if I seemed to attack or offend.

Ah, and I'll be finishing off the list by tonight's end.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Oh, I know and Mark does too. I wasn't trying to imply anything other than to say outright that I won't be doing it to you in your personal list is all. No offense taken and none given I hope.

Everywhere else in the forum however, its fair game.

2. Big Fish
(Tim Burton, 2003)

"A man tells his stories so many times that he becomes the stories. They live on after him, and in that way he becomes immortal."

I've said this two or three times now, but this is my Top 100 list: this is another one of the few movies to move me to tears. Bridge to Terabithia causes me to literally cry each and every time I watch it, and so does Big Fish. And, like with Bridge to Terabithia, a moment of profound happiness is swept over me upon the film's conclusion, after the powerfully saddening event takes its leave, to leave me with a vast, lasting smile as the credits begin to roll.

I don't mean to sound like a big softy , because I really don't think I am a softy at all; it's just that these few films have that big of an affect on me.

What also makes Big Fish my second favorite movie of all time is its beautiful cinematography: the film is filled with lush, beautiful scenery and landscapes, depicting a spectacular fantasy-like world. The characters are similarly lush with relatable traits and dazzling personalities and dialogue. The acting is top-notch, Ewan McGregor, Helena Bonham Carter, and the rest of the wonderful cast delivering excellent performances, and the story touches a deep part of me that is a feat rarely accomplished by most movies (at least on this level).

All in all, my feelings in any further detail are indescribable. I originally picked Big Fish up and watched it on a whim; I had read no reviews prior and no specific recommendations, and it remains the very best film-related whim I've ever had, and am likely ever to have.

You big Softy.

How do I love Big Fish? Let me count the ways. A terrific film about love, loss, desire and many other things. For someone that says he's not really into fantasy I'd say you may need to re-evaluate that. Not only is this a "classic" fantasy story, its a damn fine one.

Great choice. I can't remember where I placed this in my list but I know it was pretty up there. Have you ever seen Benny and Joon? If you haven't then I highly recommend it to you if you're a fan of these types of rom-coms.

EDIT: Ah, It sits proudly at #42, right where it should be.

For someone that says he's not really into fantasy I'd say you may need to re-evaluate that. Not only is this a "classic" fantasy story, its a damn fine one.
You see, Bridge to Terabithia and Big Fish might be classified as fantasies, but they're unique kinds of fantasies, in that the actual "fantasy" within both movies isn't really real in the universe of both films. That's what separates these two from the rest of the pack (among many other things) for me.

Have you ever seen Benny and Joon? If you haven't then I highly recommend it to you if you're a fan of these types of rom-coms.
Yep, I've seen it and it's in the collection. That's the one with Johnny Depp and Ed Harris, right? Even if it's not, I know I have Benny and Joon; I just want to know if I'm picturing the correct movie in my mind.

Labyrinth is also a fantasy. Hmm... yeah, I think Dom likes fantasies and doesn't even know it.

And I get where you're coming from but I still think you may have a bigger soft spot for fantasy than even you may be ready to admit right now. And that's A-O-K! Don't sweat it.

Ah, no Ed Harris, but yep; that's the one with Johnny Depp.

And I think both you and Swan may be right: I have a bigger affection for fantasies than I even realize. I think that's...rather fascinating, really, that this kind of stuff can get revealed through making these lists and threads. Nice!

I don't know how anyone could dislike fantasy. To me one of the greatest things about film is how it transports you into another world, and the fantasy genre does that best.

Jerry Shaw, you have been activated.
Very nice top 10 DOM! Haven't seen the review for the first yet, but i already know it's going to be good. Awesome list!

1. 12 Angry Men
(Sidney Lumet, 1957)

The movie that I've seen more than any other, and what was my single inspiration to start watching (more) black-and-white films, 12 Angry Men stands as my single favorite movie of all time. I originally saw it (and read the play which it's based on) in high school, and I didn't think much of it then, but when I bought it on DVD years later, I was completely and totally blown away.

The original play by Reginald Rose, which I've read several times now since high school, is magnificent, but the film is even better. Miles better. Much of the dialogue remains the same in both works, but the ending is almost completely altered from the play in the film (although the same verdict is reached in both), and the film does a much better job of packing a lot of emotion and makes for an all-around better cinematic concluding experience.

The acting here is better than that in any other movie I've ever seen. Henry Fonda is my all-time favorite actor and is at the very top of his game here, and all the other actors--from Jack Klugman, the timid Juror #5 to Lee J. Cobb, the outspoken Juror #3--deliver incredible, flawless perfomances. The script is gripping, and the suspense during the scenes that are meant to be so, are real goosebump-inducers.

12 Angry Men is going to top my list for some time to come.

Good job on compiling your list and thanks for sharing it with us, Dom.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I never expected 12 Angry Men to be #1, though. I always thought you hated it.

Thanks, guys. I'm extremely glad (and sort of relieved) that I've finally completed posting my list.

And that's only on Tuesdays, Swan.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Well done Dom on completing your list, I hope you had a good time making it as we all have reading it