Nope's 50 Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

What movie? BTTF 1? Because I could argue for a long time about how BTTF 2 is better than the original.
Let's do this. I'm ready. Seriously though, the Back To The Future sequels are a perfect example of how to do sequels wrong. They are simply retreads of the first and great one.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Modern Times

It amazes me that this movie was made in 1936, absolutely amazes me. There are scenes in this movie that still make me burst out laughing, and the films over 80 years old. I have seen three Charlie Chaplin films, and this one was the best of the bunch. This film is so timeless, that I'm sure in another 80 years it will still be as hilarious. There's nothing else to really say about this film, you just have to watch it and see for yourself. This film was in my top 10 for a while, but it was knocked to by another movie you'll see later.

Let's do this. I'm ready. Seriously though, the Back To The Future sequels are a perfect example of how to do sequels wrong. They are simply retreads of the first and great one.
It's the exact opposite, BTTF 2 takes everything the original did, and did it better. It gave us the past, present, and future. It was more suspenseful, more action packed, and just a better film. BTTF 3 was a retread, BTTF 2 was an expansion.

It's the exact opposite, BTTF 2 takes everything the original did, and did it better. It gave us the past, present, and future. It was more suspenseful, more action packed, and just a better film. (I will agree that BTTF 3 sucked, but that's another story)
I will agree with the more action packed, that is almost never a good thing. The first is full of great characters. The second has caricatures. Very forgettable with no authenticity.

I will agree with the more action packed, that is almost never a good thing. The first is full of great characters. The second has caricatures. Very forgettable with no authenticity.
The movie had the same memorable character we loved from the first movie, and who doesn't love Biff the dictator?

The movie had the same memorable character we loved from the first movie, and who doesn't love Biff the dictator?
That is a great example of making a character a caricature. The only thing that could have been better is if you had posted a pic of Fox playing his teenage son, or his daughter.

That's all I will say. It's your list and almost all of it is aces in my book.

Glad to see Groundhog Day. One of my top ten of all time.
Also happy to see Chinatown,Taxi Driver, Road Warriors,12 Angry Men ,Shawshank Redemption and Whilplash

North by Northwest

North by Northwest has aged like fine wine. I would even say that it has gotten better now than it was when it first came out. This film is still one of the most exciting, nerve-wracking, and suspenseful movies I have ever seen in my life. It has great comedy (that still holds up today), great action (that still holds up today), and a fantastic screenplay (that absolutely still holds up today). This is by far my favorite Hitchcock movie, and it is probably his most hollywood-like film. I was lucky enough to see this movie in the theater earlier this summer, and it was one of the best filmgoing experiences in my life. The audience was laughing, cheering, and this film really was made for the big screen. This movie will always be a classic, and in my opinion, it is a perfect movie.

I wasn't quite blown away by Whiplash but it's a pretty good movie.

Memento, Singin' in the Rain, Shawshank, Modern Times, and North By Northwest are all great choices.

Sorry this list is taking so long, I have been very busy due to school. Over the weekend, or luckily before then, I will post the final 9. Sorry for the delay.

Whiplash

The most recent movie on my list, I had to put Whiplash up here because it's so damn good. I can watch this movie whenever and that final scene will still give me an adrenaline rush. This movie is so good, I can't even think of words to describe it. Without a doubt the greatest movie of 2014, Whiplash will hopefully become just as classic as some of the other films on this list.

Best movie of the decade by far.

and also Great List so far man !

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

I'm not a very big fan of Kubrick, and this is his only film to make my list. This is by far one of the smartest movies I have ever seen, and I have been meaning to read the original Peter George novel for a while. All of the performances in this film are fantastic, especially from Peter Sellers, who gives probably the greatest comedic performance of all time in this film. I like to see this movie as three stories (the plane, the war room, and the military base), all incredibly interesting in their own way. Each has great characters, memorable lines, and fantastic acting. This is defiantly one of the funniest, smartest, and most well-crafted movies of all time.

Casablanca

I would argue that Casablanca is the most iconic film of all time. This film does everything perfectly. Directing, acting, writing, cinematography, absolutely everything. I would argue that the screenplay for Casablanca is the greatest of all time. I have it in book form, and I had to read it over and over agin to truly understand how brilliant it is. (I want to get a lot of movies out of the way on my list, so if you want to hear more about this movie, read my review)
My Review

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Unlike many other comedies, every single time I watch this movie it just gets funnier. I can't think of a line in this movie that isn't funny, every second is a joke, even the opening credits are hilarious. This was my favorite film for a long time as a kid, and I think it is by far the greatest comedy of all time. I'm a huge fan of everything Monty Python (Flying Circus, Life of Brian, Meaning of Life), and this is by far their best. If you haven't seen this film, please go watch it now, it will be one of the best, and funniest film experiences of your life.

I don't seem to click with Monty Python. At least not yet. So you kind of missed my taste with that one. BUT as stated earlier, your list seem to be FULL of awesome picks, so whatever might not suit my taste doesn't matter... This is at least 90% goodness!

Fargo

Fargo is nothing short of a masterpiece. Like all of the other films in my top ten, I can not find a single thing wrong with it. This film has one of the top 5 screenplays of all time (a list I could possibly do sometime in the future), and it is, in my opinion, a perfect movie. The Coen brothers are at the top of their game, and this is without a doubt there greatest achievement. Every shot in this movie is absolutely beautiful. Frances McDormand, Steve Buscemi, William H. Macy, and Peter Stormare all give the greatest performances in their careers thus far, and if I were in charge, all of them would have gotten the academy award. I can't think of an award that I would't give to Fargo if I could, and that is what makes it so great. It doesn't excel at one specific detail, it excels at everything.

Master of My Domain
Modern Times[/center]

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb[/center]

Casablanca

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Amazing list Nope!