Oldboy and Battle Royale Remakes ?

Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Josh Brolin would work, he can pull off that rough look and he's a pretty built guy, so I could see him doing all the fight scenes (with cables of course).
No cables! If you watch the fights in the original, they were barely choreographed and looked distressingly real, I hope they keep that. I almost wish the Coen Brothers were making it after watching No Country for Old Men.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
I know the original was like that, they did a great job of making it look as if he was really coming up with the moves on his own, but if it's a American movie especially being a really new one then you know they will do all the fight scenes with some kind of crazy cable and pulley system like they do with everything else.

Hmm, I like the idea of Brolin playing the lead, actually. Good choice if the rumour proves to be true. Spike Lee is also an interesting choice as a director. Like Pyro said he isn't a studio's director so hopefully he can print his own stamp on the thing. I wasn't as big a fan of the original Oldboy as most members are on here but it's still a decent piece of work and the remake interests me more than I originally thought it would. Fassbender in the other guy's role is a great shout out too (love how we all want Fassbender in everything ) but I also wouldn't mind seeing somebody like Cillian Murphy in the role, too.

I was disappointed with Battle Royale. It was over hyped.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
From Killerfilm.com

Christian Bale the villain in Spike Lee’s Oldboy remake?

After filming Chirstopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises, actor Christian Bale has no other projects lined up, although Variety is reporting he is looking at a few projects, including playing the villain in Spike Lee’s Oldboy remake. This remains unofficial, as it feels very speculative, but Bale hasn’t played a challenging “villain” since American Psycho.

I've got soul but I'm not a soldier
It seems as if Bale is the "every man" designed for a specific movie role but you know when something has to do with a remake it has failure painted all over it.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Is it really a "remake" if it is being converted for Hollywood.

For Example Girl with the dragon Tattoo or TV shows that are copied from elsewhere.

A Remake is a successful film from the 70s/80s being made again for modern times and more often than not done very badly. The Fog for example.

The Departed is copied from the Hong Kong film "Infernal Affairs 2" and everyone likes it.(Although the story is completely different).

Who knows, maybe Holloywood can make a better version of Oldboy/Battle Royale?

There are a lot of people out there who hate subtitles/dubbing, so I say why not convert the best of Asian cinema.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
It seems as if Bale is the "every man" designed for a specific movie role but you know when something has to do with a remake it has failure painted all over it.
Have you never seen American Psycho? If they got Christian Bale for the new Oldboy, it would be great casting! Hell, if the cast is in fact Josh Brolin and Christian Bale, directed by Spike Lee, I'd be waiting at the cinema to get a ticket! EVERYTHING about that sounds quality.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Have you never seen American Psycho? If they got Christian Bale for the new Oldboy, it would be great casting! Hell, if the cast is in fact Josh Brolin and Christian Bale, directed by Spike Lee, I'd be waiting at the cinema to get a ticket! EVERYTHING about that sounds quality.
I agree Christian Bale can play one hell of a bad guy. As much as I am against this remake, Josh Brolin and Christian Bale would be good.

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Who knows, maybe Hollywood can make a better version of Oldboy/Battle Royale?
I don't think so.

Not really news, but an opinion. We all know the reason and it's not that anything's needed. Still, I thought some of you might be interested.

Who needs another Oldboy?

Josh Brolin has just joined the 'Oldboy' remake, but we're still left with two big questions. Does anybody want to see a Hollywood take on the dark Korean thriller? And does another version need to exist at all?

We can't complain too much about Brolin signing up for the lead role. We're big fans of his and he has a decent track record. Earlier this year he excelled in 'True Grit', and was the best thing in Oliver Stone's 'Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps'.

He also starred in some of the best films of the last decade, including 'No Country For Old Men' and 'Milk'. We can buy him more than anyone else as the man seeking revenge in 'Oldboy', but there are still major concerns around the film.

The 2003 original was directed by Park Chan-Wook. It saw the main character emerge after a hellish fifteen years confined in a room to seek bloody revenge on his captors. And we mean BLOODY. The hammer/hallway scene is considered one of the best, and most violent sequences of the last decade. How can something so visceral and original have the same impact in a remake?

Another scene, involving the consumption of a live octopus, is equally controversial. Will Brolin have the guts for it? And will animal rights watchdogs even allow it?

Current rumours suggest Christian Bale will be joining the project as the villain of the piece. There is no denying that the prospect of two heavyweights like Bale and Brolin facing-off on screen has huge appeal. But there is still the problem of director Spike Lee, who comes loaded with issues.

In 2008, Dreamworks had lined up Steven Spielberg and Will Smith for the remake but interest in the project soon cooled. The reaction to Smith was particularly negative, and although the casting news this time around remains generally positive, the director chosen is something of a puzzler.

Lee can make good films, although his recent track record has been patchy at best, but his style does not suit the slowly paced build-up of the original. The bursts of ultra-violence were cleverly created for maximum impact, and we struggle to see how Lee will convey the tone and atmosphere created by Park.

The obvious choice would have been Park himself. If audiences really do need an English language version of the film, and we're not convinced they do, then why not let the original auteur have a go? This makes even more sense when you consider the fact that Park Chan-Wook also wrote the screenplay for 'Oldboy'.

'Oldboy' is scheduled to begin filming in March 2012, and we anticipate much more controversy before then.
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/arti...er-oldboy.html

It's originally a manga/comic. So anyone is welcome to make their own interpretation of a book/comic in my eyes. I believe they are looking at the comics for the new Oldboy film too.

Really need to take my copies off the book shelf and crack on so can garner a better consideration of how this could pan out. I see Do The Right Thing with it's slow burning to violence and the general tone, countdown of 25th Hour as positive signs for Lee and also Inside Man for working on bigger productions. Bale would be good if he can channel his Bateman but then, it was so good the first time, don't really need to see it again; I can only see his casting stemming from wearing suits in several films.

Rooney Mara could be the top pick for the female lead in Spike Lee's Oldboy

2011-09-28

"Come late December you can expect Rooney Mara to skyrocket into the A-list. While it was big enough news last year when it was announced that she would be playing Lisbeth Salander in David Fincher's English-language remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, all signs are pointing to her becoming a must-have name when the movie comes out at the end of the year. Just like the stock market, however, it may be smart for studios to invest in the actress' future now instead of waiting until she's the hottest commodity in Hollywood. Hence this story.

Twitch is reporting that Mara is now being looked at to play the female lead in yet another English-language remake: Spike Lee's Oldboy. In the film, a man is kidnapped and imprisoned for 15 years, never seeing those that are responsible. One day, he is let out, given cash, a cell phone and a set of clothes. He then embarks on a mission to find the people responsible for stealing a decade-and-a-half of his life. Josh Brolin has already signed on to play the lead role and Mara would be a young chef with whom he becomes romantically involved. Doug Davison and Roy Lee are producing the movie, and Mark Protosevich (I Am Legend) wrote the script.

While it might sound like a long-shot, Twitch was also the site that first reported on both Spike Lee directing the movie and Josh Brolin starring. Because the source specifically says “targeting” it’s hard to say if Mara is in talks or simply a name on top of a list. Obviously there’s still a great deal of animosity towards the project, but what do you think about Rooney Mara in Oldboy?"

Looks like it's Colin Firth who will be playing the role against Brolin, and not Christian Bale. Also, Rooney Mara is no longer up for the female lead.