Backyard Theaters

Tools    

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Has anybody had or been to a Backyard Theater party? My brother had one in August, and he called it "Dive-in Theater." He used an LCD projector to show Jaws on a pull-down screen. They decorated a little by putting a shark fin in the pool, recreating a smaller version of the "Amity Island Welcomes You" billboard, posting signs by the pool that read, "No Swimming. Shark Infested Waters." They also had a snack bar with popcorn, theater candy, and soda.

Anybody want to share the details of their party?

My wife and I have decided to host a similar party at the end of September. We're going to show Raiders of the Lost Ark. I mounted a 4 foot by 8 foot sheet of plywood, painted white, to an arbor in our backyard for our screen. I'm going to trim the screen with red butcher paper, crumpled to look like red velvet curtains. Using the widescreen version of Raiders fits perfectly on the screen with the projector about 15 feet away. I can cut off the letterbox at the top and bottom of the screen to fit perfectly. I'm hooking up my stereo receiver and speakers with surround in the backyard so that the sound quality will be very good. I did a quick "test run" with about ten minutes of Die Hard on widescreen. It looked and sounded great.

Decorations:

I ordered the movie poster, which I'm going to mount to some plywood and put small, white Christmas lights around for my "marquee." I'll put "Now Showing" across the bottom.

I borrowed a huge "earth ball" (6 foot diameter), and I've covered it with a big gray tarp to look like a boulder. I'm going to mount it on the roof right above the gate in which my guests will be walking through.

As the guests enter the backyard, they have to pass through a breezeway between the house and the garage. I'm decorating this area with a lot of skulls, jewels, beads, rats, spider webs, shovels and rakes.

We might make the ark of the covenant by duct taping some poles to a rectangular box with gold foil wrapping paper around it.

In the backyard, there will be several skulls on stakes stuck in the grass. For backyard lighting, I'm going to use tiki torches.

Before the movie starts, the theme song will be playing on the stereo as the guests arrive.

Snack bar:

I ordered cups from a theater supplier on-line for our soda and popcorn. The cups say, "Only at the Movies," and they come with lids. I'm having a few guests bring soda and candy. We rented a theater style popcorn maker (glass box with hanging kettle) to pop our popcorn (it is actually free, and so is the 70 servings of popcorn that comes with it).

When I started my test run with Die Hard, some bugs were landing on the screen and lens. I set up a big fan just below the screen to blow on it and keep the bugs off. I did the same thing with a little fan blowing across the front of the projector screen.

As you can probably tell, I'm looking forward to this party, which we deemed, "Outdoor Theater - Backyard Adventure" on our invitation fliers.

The party is in two weeks (Sept. 27th). If we get decent pics, I'll post them on this site.

If anybody has any suggestions for me to make this a better party, let me know.
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

Hi
Wow that sounds nice, perhaps you should even charge a ticket price and if they don't pay crush them with the boulder.

I must become Caligari..!
That sounds fantastic...... Your freinds are very Lucky
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

that sounds like fun.

over the summer i'd heard of a few nights when they would be playing some classics [keaton's 'steamboat bill, jr.' was one of them] out in the open in some park in hoboken, nj. i think it was free admission and i was going to see it but it fell on a work night so i opted out of the two overall hours of driving + the hour-something that watching the movie would have involved. sounded like it was going to be a good time though.

I stand in awe at the awesomeness of that idea. I have a friend who is a gigantic Indy fiend and if he heard about this he would probably fly to wherever you lived just to witness this thing. Bravo!

Very cool idea Mark.... I'd love to do something like this... let us know how it turns out...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Sir Toose
That's a killer idea!

What kind of projector do you have?
I'm borrowing the projector from work. It's an LCD projector made by INFOCUS. We use it to project what's on our computer onto the wall. Any source of media can be hooked up to it (TV, computer, vcr, dvd, stereo). It has 1100 lumens (anything over 1000 is considered decent for clarity).

The party is this Saturday night. So far we have 26 friends and family confirmed. I'm going to do a test run Friday night with my immediate family (2 yr-old, 4 yr-old, and wife). We're going to watch Toy Story.

If this party works out, I hope to do at least 3 or 4 with other movies next spring, summer, and fall.

Ready!Set!Go!...Er..Actio n!
That sounds so cool and we did something similar, but not quite.

Living in Alaska it's too bright in the summer and too cold in the winter to do such things, but what we had was a once a month "Bad Movie Nights" and we'd have a theme and two movies that related to the theme. Like..."Tank Girl" and "The Shadow" both based off of comic books. "Hair" and "Barbarella" for "free love" and strange outfits.

We'd take a break between movies and eat, play party games, then on to the 2ed feature.

Very cool indeed. A brilliant idea.
I've been to one of those open air cinemas in one of our larger gardens in the city - like a drive-in, only get to sit on the lawn and have a picnic while watching the movie (and of course, no cars). You probably have those in the States. They're usually in the summer and start around twilight. Only thing is, in the summer you need bug repellent.
Don't know what else you could do to make it better, Mark. Sounds just about perfect, just like at the movie theatre, bar the posters/brochures that you get.
Good luck with it.

What a great Idea, my invitation must be lost in the post, but I am coming

How did the children like their special viewing of Toy Storey

I've been thinking and probably what we'll do when we've made a few films (we have one done, the 17 minute The Anniversary and will have the 15 minute Once Bitten done by mid October) we'll hold a little "test audience" for family and friends.

That should be great fun! About two hours worth of our films for our peers to jeer at!

Well, the "Outdoor Theater - Backyard Adventure" was a HUGE success! We had a total of 26 friends and family show up, and they were all very impressed with the decorations, quality of the visual and audio, and snack bar (having a theater style popcorn maker was a big plus; the popcorn tasted just like the movies).

The show really did look and sound great. I set up two tower speakers directly in front, connected to the A channel. I connected two smaller outdoor speakers midway to the B channel, and I connected two smaller outdoor speakers in the back to the surround channel. There were scenes in which my audience members were looking behind them because of the surround sound noises. It was great!

My wife took some pics of the decorations, but I don't have them yet. As soon as I do, I'll post them.

My sister is thinking of doing Jurassic Park for the end of October. Next year, we plan to do at least 4 or 5 during the fair weather months.

Stay tuned for the pics.

Congratulations on the success. I knew that this thing had no chance of failing, simply because it is so cool.

Of course it was fab!

Can I be your neighbor?

Mark you sound so handy, can i get you to come over and set mine up? my husband is not handy at all

Can't wait to see the pic's

I am glad it was such a great success

Originally Posted by Mark
I'm borrowing the projector from work. It's an LCD projector made by INFOCUS. We use it to project what's on our computer onto the wall. Any source of media can be hooked up to it (TV, computer, vcr, dvd, stereo). It has 1100 lumens (anything over 1000 is considered decent for clarity).
I have one of these:

that I use at work. I'm thinking I'll have a halloween party and show a cool old horror flick like Frankenstein.

Thanks for the idea!

I love this idea… I normally help plan a Halloween party every year for a group of kids and am thinking about trying something like this too… and show one of the old Vincent Price movies like Tales of Terror

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I love this idea… I normally help plan a Halloween party every year for a group of kids and am thinking about trying something like this too… and show one of the old Vincent Price movies like Tales of Terror

Best buy had V.P. dvd's bundled two at a time for 7 bucks! I'm going back tomorrow at lunch

Originally Posted by Sir Toose
Best buy had V.P. dvd's bundled two at a time for 7 bucks! I'm going back tomorrow at lunch

Ooooo... Thank you!!! Headed to Best Buy soon...