Dario Argento appreciation thread!

Tools    

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
This guy is probably my favourite director of all time! His contributions to horror in the 70s and 80s was astounding and many of them are still considered to be the greatest films that the horror genre has ever seen. His work today is quite abysmal, but that doesn't remove the credibility of his earlier works including The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970) Deep Red (1975) Suspiria (1977) Inferno (1980) Tenebre (1982) Phenomena (1985) (one of Jennifer Connelly's first films) and Opera (1987)

His camera angles were often unique and innovative, as were his soundtracks, especially for Suspiria and Deep Red where he frequently collaborated with the band, Goblin. Personally though, I love how he worked with actors were considered spectacular both in Europe and America, at times in the same film. I.e. employing Joan Bennett and Alida Valli to work together in Suspiria and he also employed Clara Calamai (often remembered for being the first woman to go topless in Italian mainstream cinema) in Deep Red in the role of Martha, a role she would probably be best remembered for.

Also, I apologise if a similar thread has been created, but I couldn't find one. So for any thoughts on Argento, please share them here!

I'm a big fan as well, CiCi. Glad to have another Argento fan on the board. He's top five directors for me.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I'm a big fan as well, CiCi. Glad to have another Argento fan on the board. He's top five directors for me.
It is! I haven't actually seen too many of his films (only Deep Red, Suspiria and Opera) but they were absolutely fantastic. I'll probably check out Inferno next though, because people's opinions are very broad on it... and Film4 show it all the time

Ditto!!

The trick is not minding
I’m still trying to finish up his films, but Mother of Tears and Dracula were pretty bad.

Need to see Dark Glasses since it’s on shudder