Favorite Comedies

Tools    

There is nothing I find more painful than a bad comedy. A clown that fails to elicit laughs is the most depressing (and terrifying) sight I can think of.

I tend to have a British sensibility when it comes to comedy. Most jokes in British comedy are about the subversion of expectations- you set up a situation and then take an unexpected twist that catches the audience by surprise. They are self-depreciating, and often revolve around the failures and flaws of the protagonist.

As a broad comparison, I tend to find the "Friends" archetype of American sitcom less appealing. The script is sculpted around one-liners, and it flows unnaturally towards a "zinger" (ugh!) that is sign-posted a mile away. Then it repeats this formula over and over for twenty minutes. Throughout, the audience hoots and guffaws in a manner that makes my ears hurt. Don't get me wrong, there is great American comedy, but the standard network, 3 camera sitcom is painful.

That said, there are some great comedy movies that have come out of the US, and here is where I am going to name one, hopefully to spark some conversation: -

The Other Guys

These are a few that I quite enjoy:

Dr. Strangelove
M.A.S.H.
Borat
The Big Lebowski
Slap Shot
Anchorman
Dazed and Confused

Airplane!
Annie Hall
The Apartment
The Big Lebowski
Blazing Saddles
Fargo
Modern Times
The Seven Year Itch
Singin' in the Rain
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Hot shots, part one and part due
Planes, trains and Automobiles
Top Secret
Airplane!
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Too bad that most of the Swedish comedies aren't translated. Could have made you a great list of some of my favourites. :/

Pineapple Express, Forgetting Sara Marshall, Superbad, Trains planes and automobiles.

There is nothing I find more painful than a bad comedy. A clown that fails to elicit laughs is the most depressing (and terrifying) sight I can think of.

I tend to have a British sensibility when it comes to comedy. Most jokes in British comedy are about the subversion of expectations- you set up a situation and then take an unexpected twist that catches the audience by surprise. They are self-depreciating, and often revolve around the failures and flaws of the protagonist.

As a broad comparison, I tend to find the "Friends" archetype of American sitcom less appealing. The script is sculpted around one-liners, and it flows unnaturally towards a "zinger" (ugh!) that is sign-posted a mile away. Then it repeats this formula over and over for twenty minutes. Throughout, the audience hoots and guffaws in a manner that makes my ears hurt. Don't get me wrong, there is great American comedy, but the standard network, 3 camera sitcom is painful.

That said, there are some great comedy movies that have come out of the US, and here is where I am going to name one, hopefully to spark some conversation: -

The Other Guys
I do get a feeling that the proverbial British sense of humor is self-mockery. The joke's always on them, be it made by themselves or by the French, who always joke on the account of others. Why should they risk even the slightest psychological trouble by joking on themselves? Anyway, I find their humor the most hillarious. Anything from Belmondo, Louis de Fumes (can't remember the movie's name, something about kidnapping the pope), Bourvil to Asterix or whatever.

I do like Friends though. Especially the cast.

My Cousin Vinny
Midnight Run
Trading Places
The Burbs
What About Bob?
Bringing Up Baby
His Girl Friday
It Happened One NIght
Back To The Future
Team America
Four Lions
Take The Money and Run
The Big Lebowski
Most of Wes Andersons movies

Plenty more.

George Romero's Dawn of the Dead (1978) is one of the funniest movies I've watched in recent memory.

Hold Up!
Joyeuses Paques!
Asterix et Obelix aux Jeux Olympiques

And I'm not producing myself "I know French! Ha!" Because I don't. I really like those. There are countless (ok, I'm not producing myself, there are others)

Following are the best comedies:
- M.A.S.H.
- Airplane
- Slap Shot

Super Troopers
Fear and loathing in Las Vegas
Friday
Half Baked
Old School

Just to name a few

I have to return some videotapes...
Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Superbad.